• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken croquettes

paperwatermelon

Sounds to me like you need to head to the Ironbound or North Bergen! I always associate croquettes with Latin food...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Seriously? I always thought that chicken croquettes were one of the quintessential WASP foods, straight out of the Fannie Farmer cookbbook & so forth. Do tell more of these Ironbound croquettes!

(The only place I know to get good ones is way up Route 1 in Maine, so I'm no help in this forum.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Seriously. But what you'll find as a general rule are ham or smoked ham croquettes. I don't recall seeing chicken croquettes on the menu of Portuguese and Brazilian Ironbound places nor have I seen them on the menu in "Spanish" restaurants I've been to elsewhere (which are usually Puerto Rican or Dominican establishments rather than featurinig the cuisine of Spain).

In my neck of the woods the chicken croquette is definitely traditional "American comfort food" along the lines of chicken 'n dumplings, pot roast with gravy, meat loaf etc.

I'm certain that chicken croquettes are served in Spain as a tapas item and are thought to have originated in France but they have a long history in American cuisine.

eGullet SO needs a headsmack icon. I'd certainly be using it right about now...of COURSE they're ham in those restaurants! I just read croquettes and that's what immediately came to mind. :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I know exactly what you are asking for. The are chicken in the consistency of chicken salad in a kind of cone looking shape with a bread crumb crust. They are usually served with a gravy on top with mashed potato's.

I usually see them pop up on the menu at local diners. I think I have had them at the Versailles diner on Rt. 46 in Fairfield in the past.

I hope this helps.

I know you can probably buy them frozen also at the supermarket.

Ham croquettes or croquettas are available at Latin especially Cuban restaurants and are more shaped like a small log. Similar consistency with the bread crumbs.

-Scott

I think of them as diner food as well, and have had some decent chicken croquettes at Land and Sea in Radburn section of Fair Lawn (this was easily 1-2 years ago) -- also my Mother loved the ones at La Cambusa Ristorante

22-51 MAPLE AVE Fair Lawn (me, not so much) -- I know I have seen them on the menus of the Hackensack (Essex Street) Diners.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I have had some decent chicken croquettes from time to time at

various diners and certainly feel your pain when it comes to wanting

a croquette fix.

I have heard Rutts Hut, while famous for their u no what, serves

chicken croquettes on their regular menu.

Perhaps someone out there has had them and will comment.