• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Recommendations Needed

GordonCooks

A very good friend will be on a wine biz trip and would like some suggestions regarding some places to dine. In his group, maybe 2-3 others are foodies so can you give me some tips?

Thanks in advance

His itinerary

"Hotel Mercure Gare De Lyon in Paris for the first(Sunday) and last nights of the trip

Imperator Concorde in Nimes for three nights

Avignon Grand Hotel for two nights

Hotel La Closerie in Beaune for two nights

Most other evenings are locked up with events with the winemakers or touring estates. Realistically the best shot to schedule a four star meal is in a place like Beaune where I'm sure there are plenty of options."

A very good friend will be on a wine biz trip

I would suggest you start by consulting our Paris threads compiled in compendia as well as that on Burgundy. We'll do our best to winnow down what you think sounds good/appealing to the best of our ability.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I would recommend le Benaton and Jardin des Remparts in Beaune. None are perfect and the food at both can be overly complicated, but they are quite pleasant. The wine list at le Benaton is a little boring while that at le Jardin des Remparts contains some serious bargians.

Outside Beaune, Lameloise in Chagny is of course not to be missed but to be missed is le Charlemagne in Pernand-Vergelesses unless you want to venture into some really bizarre food.

For good food in the brasserie style Caveau des Arches in Beaune is highly recommended. They also have a fantastic wine list. Their food is significantly better than the usually talked about Ma Cuisine, which admittedly has some really nice wine selections at decent prices.

In the Nimes region I suggest you take the car and go to Chez Bru in Eygalieres (if it is open). It is quite good.

When my glass is full, I empty it; when it is empty, I fill it.

Gastroville - the blog

We recently did the Paris-Beaune-Lyon-Avignon food and wine tour and the best restaurant we found in the area was Restaurant Simon at Hotel Chez Losset in Flagey-Échezeaux, Côte-d’Or (just off the N74 about half way between Beaune and Dijon). I would highly recommend you try the degustation menu. Fabulous!

We also went to Jardin des Remparts in Beaune and found their food to be very ordinary at best. I guess maybe they had a bad day, but we will not go back.

Edited by SYoung (log)

I disagree with degusto re. Caveau des Arches vs Ma Cuisine. Le Caveau des Arches, though very nice, offers a more posh version of French/Burgundian classics but does not rival Ma Cuisine for quality of ingredients and cooking. In 2006, I have visited Ma Cuisine 3 times and only once Le Caveau des Arches but my opinion has not changed.

Admittedly, the wine list at Ma Cuisine, which used to be an absolute "do not miss", has seen some price increases and less availabilities in rarities (or famous labels). Nevertheless, many gems are still to be found.

I'd also highly recommend "Les Tontons", just off place Madeleine (100 m away from le Caveau des Arches). Fabulous unpretentious cooking and very regularly visited by famous winemakers from around Beaune. Remarkable wine list too.

My one experience at Le Jardin des Remparts two years ago remains my worst experience ever in a restaurant. Be it food, service and wine service. They managed to mess everything up. On a saturday dinner. Every single guest at the table was shocked. I will never go back.

Also, Le Chassagne in Chassagne-Montrachet is not as good as it used to be. The prices on the wine list went through the roof, the quality of the food more than questionable and overall experience disappointing though asking Michelin starred prices. This is my conclusion from my last 3 visits in the last six months.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

In Avignon, Christian Etienne's stunning venue plus the tomato menu make it a worthwhile experience. I also like the tiny Au Petit Bedon for good Provencal cuisine.

In Beaune, Ma Cuisine is still good, though I feel the place has shed some of its charms. Fabienne has help in the kitchen now so she's able to greet and chat with diners more, but Pierre is looking more harried. Most of the well-priced jewel off-vintages in the wine list are gone.

I like Cave des Arches. Yes, it's more posh and modern for the area, but nothing wrong with that. The salmon tartare is amazing. The wine list has many overpriced top labels, but there are enough good picks as well.

The fromagerie on Place Carnot that opened probably just a year ago is great.

Cave Madeleine is my favorite bistro in Beaune. Try the herring appetizer if you see it on the board.

I disagree with degusto re. Caveau des Arches vs Ma Cuisine. Le Caveau des Arches, though very nice, offers a more posh version of French/Burgundian classics but does not rival Ma Cuisine for quality of ingredients and cooking. In 2006, I have visited Ma Cuisine 3 times and only once Le Caveau des Arches but my opinion has not changed.

Interesting that you find there to be a great difference in the quality of ingredients. Most if not all the restaurants in the Beaune area use the same suppliers and few if any of those offers top quality stuff. There is IMO no difference between Caveau des Arches and Ma Cuisine with respect to ingredients. It is the same stuff and it is not particularly interesting as such.

When my glass is full, I empty it; when it is empty, I fill it.

Gastroville - the blog

Interesting that you find there to be a great difference in the quality of ingredients. Most if not all the restaurants in the Beaune area use the same suppliers and few if any of those offers top quality stuff. There is IMO no difference between Caveau des Arches and Ma Cuisine with respect to ingredients. It is the same stuff and it is not particularly interesting as such.

They may well be sourced in the same place but I guess my opinion was forged by the fact that the ingredients were less "hidden" at Ma Cuisine and definitely prepared in a way that puts them forward. It implicitely put their qualities in front... Something that struck me as not being the case at Caveau des Arches. Of course, it may have been the day, the chosen dishes, etc...

I do agree that it's not top notch. But that's not what I expect anyway.

I did, though, expect this at Le Jardin des Remparts and was utterly disappointed. Quality of the meal was closer to the workers cantine than from any place calling itself a restaurant.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche