• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne Bubbles

hathor

Today's NY Times has an article by Harold McGee about Absinthe and the cocktail Death in the Afternoon.

In the article, he explains that champagne bubbles are caused by dust motes, and fibers. Not particularly romantic or appealing, but science is science.

My question is, does that mean that examining the 'perlage' or bubbles, and looking for even, constant bubbles, actually has no bearing on the quality of the wine?

I believe the type of plant fiber they are talking about is cotton from the drying/shining towel.

Of course, it is much more politically correct to suggest that someone has a bit of drying cloth lint in their glass--a microscopic bit, than to suggest that their Riedel stemware has microscopic hills and valleys that allow bubbles to nucleate.

So, I say that there is some truth to it, but there is also some careful verbiage. Also, there is more carbon dioxide in the wine than is stable, that is the real reason it bubbles. If there weren't the carbon dioxide in excess, the champagne would be flat.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Thanks for replying.

So, if your glass was dried in a vacum, and was completely smooth on the interior....there would be no neat little streams of bubbles? Just random bubbles caused by excess Co2?

We had some Proseco last night, and I observed my bubbles a little closer. Why do the bubble streams all start at the bottom of the glass? If anything, the bubbles should be concentrated on the sides of the glass where I was able to reach them with the drying cloth. And what of the glasses that were dried in the dishwasher? Etched interiors?

Check out Uncorked: The Science of Champagne by Gérard Liger-Belair.  It answers this, and many other questions about champagne.

Here is one of his articles.

Excellent article, thank you. Answered my questions, and cool photos, what more could you ask for?

Of course, it is much more politically correct to suggest that someone has a bit of drying cloth lint in their glass--a microscopic bit, than to suggest that their Riedel stemware has microscopic hills and valleys that allow bubbles to nucleate.

Actually, Riedel claims purposefully to makes their bubbly stems with a rough patch at the bottom of the interior crystal to induce better streams of bubbles.

Eric

that, and crystal is rougher textured then glass, too, which is why it's more suitable for wine in general. The rougher texture creates a sort of micro-aeration of the wine, furthering the release of the bouquet.

bacon-- it's the fruit from a pig!

Actually, Riedel claims purposefully to makes their bubbly stems with a rough patch at the bottom of the interior crystal to induce better streams of bubbles.

Eric

that, and crystal is rougher textured then glass, too, which is why it's more suitable for wine in general. The rougher texture creates a sort of micro-aeration of the wine, furthering the release of the bouquet.

If you haven't tried them yet, the crystal stemware from Eisch is very cool. The micro-texture in them is enhanced to allow a further immediate oxidation in the wine. I was skeptical, but after trying them out, I was convinced. Google them for comments from Parker, Tanzer and such.