• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internet source for Kobe Beef?

chefadamg

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered from most of the above. I ordered a whole strip loin from this source and it was the best Wagyu beef I have eaten. A few other particpants echoed that sentiment. The source I used does not seem to be available now.

Here is a link to my study: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77791&st=30

If the source you are considering does not use the Japanese grading system, the best you will obtain is comparble to USDA low Prime in my experience. Certainly not bad but certainly not close to Kobe beef.

BTW, the #12 Wagyu I purchased did not come from Japan. I don't think they were selling imported Kobe at that time.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I am fairly new to eG but I cannot get a grip on the site: so many allies to go down, often dead ones at that. I'm not a novice, either as a computer user or foodie, but I just don't get the format.

What and where is D'Artagan and the dairy cited in one post?

Also, I don't think USA Japanese breed beef is anything special at all.

I am fairly new to eG but I cannot get a grip on the site: so many allies to go down, often dead ones at that. I'm not a novice, either as a computer user or foodie, but I just don't get the format.

What and where is D'Artagan and the dairy cited in one post?

Also, I don't think USA Japanese breed beef is anything special at all.

You need to understand the Japanese grading system and then purchase your Wagyu beef with that in mind.

If you only purchase what is termed 'Kobe' beef' or American Wagyu' without any grade level, you can usually do better with USDA Prime. -Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all:

I found A new REAL Kobe beef internet site this morning. I believe it's new as I've been looking for the real deal for a few months now. Kobe Beef

Its a LosAngeles based operation selling Kobe grades 1-12. Prices seem VERY reasonable for Kobe. Example: 1 lb grade 12 striploin is 149.99 this week but usually 199.00 lb.

I've placed my order for 3 lbs grade 12 striploin and will post pics and tasting results soon.

I have order both the Australian Waygu and the Japanese Kobe from 1-800-kobe (http://1-800-kobebeef.com/)

These are some of the best packed and treated imported meat I have ever gotten.

The AU were nice thick steaks well cryo-packed. The JP kobe (we had the ribeye last night) was like beef flavored butter.

If you want US producer: I highly recommend Morgan Ranch (http://www.morganranchinc.com/index.htm). They are doing the waygu breed right and provide beautiful meat.

I have order both the Australian Waygu and the Japanese Kobe from 1-800-kobe (http://1-800-kobebeef.com/)

These are some of the best packed and treated imported meat I have ever gotten.

The AU were nice thick steaks well cryo-packed.  The JP kobe (we had the ribeye last night) was like beef flavored butter.

If you want US producer: I highly recommend Morgan Ranch (http://www.morganranchinc.com/index.htm).  They are doing the waygu breed right and provide beautiful meat.

Good. Glad to hear they have a quality product. I've talked w/ them on the phone and they sound like they know what their talking about...I've forgotten the gentlemans name but he was a nice Japanese guy. Like I said..I've got a few grade 12 striploins coming my way..I'll post some pics and tasting notes.

Here are a few pics of the incredible Kobe Beef I received from Anshu at 1-800-Kobebeef.com. As you can see the quality speaks for itself. I did a Shabu Shabu with it tonight and will do a seared version tomorrow.

gallery_46558_4236_58920.jpg

gallery_46558_4236_21297.jpg

gallery_46558_4236_28652.jpg

gallery_46558_4236_415506.jpg

Edited by chefadamg (log)

Wow. I had no idea.

:blink:

At some point, do you have to call it well marbled suet, instead of well marbled beef?

:raz:

I can't even imagine how the cows those err... steaks came from can walk around.

But, I'm sure they're very happy for their short lives, what with all the beer and massages.

I look forward to seeing the final culinary applications.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

chefadamg, thanks for your Post and pictures. Just got off the phone with Anshu and as it turns out he has the 1-800-Steak website also and it is from him that i ordered the whole strip loin last year. This beef looks even better! Put in my order this morning, so will be here tomorrow.

I usually use as sashimi raw and also slice thin and briefly sear on griddle.

Let us know how your preperations turn out. -Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Got some more great product from Anshu. A nice Rib eye. Great marbleing. I liked that the cap was included..I seared that with a salt crust and ate it with a bit of soy and wasabi,had great flavor. Ended up making a truffled Kobe tartare with the rest... quail egg, anchovy aioli, herb salad and toast.

gallery_46558_4236_94846.jpg

gallery_46558_4236_246510.jpg

gallery_46558_4236_116838.jpg

Edited by chefadamg (log)

Looking for some advice here... seriously, all this kobe looks awesome. I have yet to buy any, but I really want to. From these pictures it looks like the fat actually exceeds the amount of meat. Is it even possible to cook this like a steak? Sear both sides and serve. Based on the pics this stuff looks more like a pork belly where I'd slice it thin and pan fry it. Can someone who has actually bought and eaten this stuff enlighten me on how best to prepare it? Thanks!

Looking for some advice here... seriously, all this kobe looks awesome. I have yet to buy any, but I really want to. From these pictures it looks like the fat actually exceeds the amount of meat. Is it even possible to cook this like a steak? Sear both sides and serve. Based on the pics this stuff looks more like a pork belly where I'd slice it thin and pan fry it. Can someone who has actually bought and eaten this stuff enlighten me on how best to prepare it? Thanks!

Fat is about 80% on this. I ccok it like a piece of foie gras. HIGH heat and very rare. If you dont get it seared properly on the outside you'll lose most of the fat content inside..and that's where all the flavor is. Salt is important as well..I season before cooking with a semi-coarse pink salt . Whatever ou do..DONT slice it thin and then cook it/or sear it..you'll lost the fat and all the money you paid will be worthless. This beef is where you want to keep it simple..NO heavy sauces..just with a little salt..and even the traditional way with a light soy is great.

Fat is about 80% on this. I ccok it like a piece of foie gras. HIGH heat and very rare. If you dont get it seared properly on the outside you'll lose most of the fat content inside..and that's where all the flavor is. Salt is important as well..I season before cooking with a semi-coarse pink salt . Whatever ou do..DONT slice it thin and then cook it/or sear it..you'll lost the fat and all the money you paid will be worthless. This beef is where you want to keep it simple..NO heavy sauces..just with a little salt..and even the traditional way with a light soy is great.

Great, thanks! Now I'm glad I asked. I can't wait to try kobe. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally thawed one of the Kobe strips from Anshu. Same quality as already posted. Did three preperations. First was a tartare with shoyu with bonito extract, touch of hot seseme oil and cubed avocado. Second was just slice for sashimi with shoyu and wasabi, third was briefly seared on a very hot griddle, salt with mill.

In the raw preperations, if you did not know it was kobe beef, you could easily mistake it for Toro. Easily the highest quality beef I have ever had. Where the Kobe really shined was on the grill. AS soon as it hit the grill, the umistakeable aroma of seared beef was evident and when tasted, that aroma was enhanced by the taste buds. Easily the most satisfying preperation. When top quality Toro sells for $60/#, why use Kobe beef? Save the kobe for searing. Great stuff!

So ends my Kobe beef quest if you have read my previous Posts on the subject.

Final conclusion: If you want a thich rare steak, purchase dry aged Prime from a source you know. If you want Kobe style, you can purchase some Grade 12 from Anshu and you will get a product that outclasses any US Prime for searing on the griddle. It will also do very nicely in raw perperations. If you must have true Kobe beef, pay the price, sear and eat.-Dick