• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking With a Forno Oven

shona m f pearson

Hey egullet ! What's the best thing you ever had from a forno oven ?

We're making excellent pizzas and focaccia sandwiches plus french onion soup from our stone deck, gas fired forno. Now I'm ready to bump up the evening menu and I'm looking for some cool ideas for both small plate and entree items.

So.... have you had something amazing from this style of oven ?

Or do you have a great idea that you'd make if you had a forno of your own ?

Help me out egulleters !!!

Hey egullet !  What's the best thing you ever had from a forno oven ?

We're making excellent pizzas and focaccia sandwiches plus french onion soup from our stone deck, gas fired forno. Now I'm ready to bump up the evening menu and I'm looking for some cool ideas for both small plate and entree items.

So.... have you had something amazing from this style of oven ?

Or do you have a great idea that you'd make if you had a forno of your own ?

Help me out egulleters !!!

roast chicken, roast pork, any meat with potatoes and onions. best results are with a ceramic or cast iron vessel

doesn't forno mean (wood burning?) oven in italian or am I missing something? as in al forno....

Yeah ... I was going to say something about that, but it just seemed so petty. :raz:

Thin crust pizzas, calzones ... bread. This is a coffee place right? Would biscotti work?

A.

I'm not sure about the actual definition -- the first one I used commercially WAS a wood burning one, supported by gas. This one is gas but is called a "woodstone" - I don't know why (well I imagine it's the brand...!!! duh)

I'm not finding the all gas version very different from the combo oven, we get great fire roasted effect and flavour - it is after all a serious fire in there !

I'm thinking of trying a charred (! not too charred ) piece of fish with greens next - assuming that fattier fish is smarter. Will report back on that experiment.... any more thoughts are appreciated .... Shona.