• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time Out Paris Eating & Drinking

John Whiting

The new edition is out. Still under the editorial supervision of Rosa Jackson, it continues to be the most useful guidebook [i.e. hard copy] in English. I haven't gone through this one in detail, but for the past decade I've found the Time Out Paris food guides to be pretty reliable indicators of what the cuisine and ambience of a bistro is likely to feel like.

This year there's much more coverage of the growing multicultural scene and of Le Snacking, which, for better or for worse, has become a necessary option now that "Parisians spend an average of no more than 34 minutes on the midday meal."

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Ah, that's very exciting! I suppose it's time to update from my 2000 edition...

Come to think of it, the reason I haven't probably has something to do with THIS site being such a wonderful source of current information.

;)

The new edition is out. Still under the editorial supervision of Rosa Jackson, it continues to be the most useful guidebook [i.e. hard copy] in English. I haven't gone through this one in detail, but for the past decade I've found the Time Out Paris food guides to be pretty reliable indicators of what the cuisine and ambience of a bistro is likely to feel like.

This year there's much more coverage of the growing multicultural scene and of Le Snacking, which, for better or for worse, has become a necessary option now that "Parisians spend an average of no more than 34 minutes on the midday meal."

Meg Zimbeck, Paris by Mouth

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Time Out Paris guide. Not only is it incredibly helpful while in Paris, but it makes for wonderful reading after the trip! We went in '05 and I bought the '06 guide just to enjoy. Will have to get the '07 one for an update. Don't know when I'll be able to get back to my favorite city, but reading about all the wonderful places to eat keeps my dream alive!!!

I received my 2007 Time Out via Amazon last week.

I am leaving on Sunday for Paris. I have many reservations made..but I can find room for more!! I will take the Time Out and the Zagat, and who knows what else.

I am watching the weather. I will be pleased if I just get some sunshine!

I am looking forward to my stay at the Westminster. I have several things to take care of when there for both Oct. and April in Paris, 2008!

a bientot..........

Had a flick through the guide in the Virgin Megastore (of all places) on Friday. Still not widely available in London.

One thing that jumped out was that many of the Haute Cuisine reviews did not seem to have changed from the last edition (e.g. Ambroisie, Le Cinq, Pierre Gagnaire pretty much verbatim from the 2005). Understandable I guess, given the cost but a bit of a bit disappointing given a) the significance of haute to the Parisian dining scene (especially for tourists such as us), b) these probably refer to meals in a 2004 timeframe i.e. well out of date by now and c) half the point of getting the guide is to slobber over the *** write-ups.

Sure the rest of the guide is lovely but probably don't feel an urge to pick it up at the mo as haven't get any big splurges in Paris on the immediate horizon.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

...half the point of getting the guide is to slobber over the *** write-ups.

This is in fact all I ever do with *** write-ups, and old ones are as useful for this purpose as new ones. Within the price bracket of the bistros I actually frequent I've found Time Out useful. Not infallible--who is? (aside from John T :biggrin:)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros