• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Sushi in Brooklyn

ned

What's at the top of the heap BoerumHill/Ft Green/Park Slope/Carroll Gardens area?

Thanks.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I think Taro Sushi, off Flatbush Ave. on Dean St., is terrific.

It's a branch of a Tokyo place, I think. Which (a) gives it street cred, and (b) raises the question of how a branch of a foreign restaurant could possibly end up in such a godforesaken location.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

In Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens, I think that Cube 63 on Court St. is the best for sushi. A sleek dark place, it looks like the branch of a LES restaurant, which it is, but I've found the fish to be consistently good. Better, I think than Osaka and the nearby alternatives.

In Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens, I think that Cube 63 on Court St. is the best for sushi. A sleek dark place, it looks like the branch of a LES restaurant, which it is, but I've found the fish to be consistently good. Better, I think than Osaka and the nearby alternatives.

Thanks for the recs. Ended up at Blue Ribbon with low expectations. The interior design is nice. Also very fresh uni. Bad aji, blue crab, oysters way over-sauced, ama-ebi real rough. I ate a lot of ginger tonight trying to clear away bad fishy tastes.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

i second the nomination for Taro for best sushi in that area. i discovered it a few months ago after doing some online research. for the money, i have not found a place that i enjoy more... since the first time going there, i have gone approximately once a week, even though i need to drive an hour to get there.

if you go though, make sure to get the omakase. it's twice as expensive as a standard sushi platter, but still well worth it. you can order omakase either at the bar or at a table. if you sit at a table, you'll get an appetizer (monkfish liver), and then a platter of about 12 pieces and a roll. depending on the selection, the price ranges from 25 to 35 dollars. i've gotten the omakase there probably 4 times at this point, and at least half of the pieces have been completely different each time.

virtually the entire assortment you receive will be great, and you will only have a couple of typical sushi pieces, such as salmon or a piece of tuna. by way of example, i've had all kinds of mackerels (gizzard shad, horse mackerel, halfbeek), shellfishes (raw octopus, giant raw prawn, baby raw shrimp, king crab, giant clam), different types of uni, etc.... all pieces are very, very fresh, and cut to a size that is standard sushi size, not too small (yasuda), and not too big (yama). the selection has typically been nothing less than fantastic. for a roll, you usually get half a spicy shrimp tempura and half real crab california roll.

if you sit at the bar and get the omakase, it's a different experience, although not necessarily better. you'll get approximately 10 pieces of sushi, for 35, except it'll be given to you in series of twos or threes, each time variations on a theme... like 1 piece of tuna from japan, along with one piece of toro, with one piece of seared toro.... or 1 piece of yellowtail, along with one piece of yellowtail with an onion sauce. this is certainly very interesting and for the money, is still great value, but at least half of the pieces may be ordinary (salmon, tuna, yellowtail), and not the more exotic stuff that i have seen on the platter you receive at a table.

this is a place that i think about all the time... i'll probably go tonight now.

Thanks for the recs.  Ended up at Blue Ribbon with low expectations.  The interior design is nice.  Also very fresh uni.  Bad aji, blue crab, oysters way over-sauced, ama-ebi real rough.  I ate a lot of ginger tonight trying to clear away bad fishy tastes.

I've never had anything less than pristine there (that's why I liked them), but I haven't been there in a while.

I'll have to check out Taro.