• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

oakapple

I'll be trying for a reservation soon, so let us know how easy it is. I've landed a month long stage at WD-50 so I'll be definately looking to head to Per Se while I'm in the city. (Kind of off topic, but I'm quite excited, so I wanted to bring it up somehow :raz: )

Oh cool - are you going to be there in April? We'll probably be heading to WD-50 (been before and loved it!)

I'll be trying for a reservation soon, so let us know how easy it is. I've landed a month long stage at WD-50 so I'll be definately looking to head to Per Se while I'm in the city. (Kind of off topic, but I'm quite excited, so I wanted to bring it up somehow :raz: )

Oh cool - are you going to be there in April? We'll probably be heading to WD-50 (been before and loved it!)

I'll be at the restaurant from late March to late April. I have to leave my wallet locked in a cupboard until then, I'm going to be so broke, but I'm sure it will be an amazing experience, so it's worth it in the end.

I had a really good meal there in August, and I love the vibe of the place. I just need to find somewhere cheap to live for a month.

Anywa, back to Per Se, I hope against hope not only that they have a table for me, but that I'll be able to afford it haha.

James.

Yes, only a limited number of tables on Opentables.

Cool, fortunately i've got a few dates to pick from so should hopefully get something :)

Don't get TOO excited.

Many people's experience is that this gives you TWO chances to be told there's nothing available.

Well, after scoring tickets to Next vs. El Bulli, I'm a pro ;)

I'm not going to be too distraught if I can't get a table as there's always the tasting menu EMP as backup, but I do have 10 opportunities to take advantage of

I'll be at the restaurant from late March to late April. I have to leave my wallet locked in a cupboard until then, I'm going to be so broke, but I'm sure it will be an amazing experience, so it's worth it in the end.

I had a really good meal there in August, and I love the vibe of the place. I just need to find somewhere cheap to live for a month.

Anywa, back to Per Se, I hope against hope not only that they have a table for me, but that I'll be able to afford it haha.

Cool, I might drop you a PM nearer the time when I know when i'm coming to warn you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to edit my post, but just to update - I managed to get a table, but people might want to make a note of my experience.

When I tried earlier today - on opentable - I wasn't able to look at reservations past 2012/04/01 until 12am EST (5am GMT). When it struck midnight I tried and whilst 2011/04/02 became "available", I could not get a table, and 2012/04/03 was not available.

I just called up at 10am EST and eventually got through, to be told there was only a 10pm table available for 2012/04/02. Dissapointed I was then told that they were currently taking reservations for 2012/04/03, for which I was able to get a table (yay!)

So, to be clear - it's 30 days on opentable and 1 month on the phone, plus opentable obviously must have only a limited number of tables which I imagine could well be possible to book on the phone, so if you're trying to book during a month with 31 calendar days, opentable might well prove to be difficult!

Hope that makes sense

• 1 month later...

Wife and I recently ate at Per Se on a blowout "babymoon" trip to New York. Were very excited about this meal, as trips to the French Laundry have been probably our 2nd and 3rd best US dining experiences (after Alinea).

On the whole we were disappointed - nothing was bad, but nothing was exceptional either. Out of our 4 major meals on the trip (PS, Brooklyn Fare, Le Bernardin, EMP), we both ranked it last (honestly, we probably had tastier lunches even at The Modern and Del Posto). I would describe it as being almost exactly like eating at FL, but just consistently not as good tasting.

I will say however that we loved the room (although would have preferred to be by the window vs. on the upper level), and that the service was faultless (including being extremely accomodating of my pregnant wife's restrictions). Just let down by the food - (Obviously the menu changes immensely even day to day, so this may have just been luck of the draw).

Apologies that I don't have more detailed notes - we accidentally left the menus behind in NYC. The only course that really stands out in my mind was a chicken thigh stuffed with a farce, served with a quenelle of what can only be described as ranch dressing. Odd dish (but actually probably one of our favorites, one you get past the strangeness of being served chicken with ranch dip at Per Se).

Interesting - I v much enjoyed Per Se, bar the cheese course, but I did have a better time at Eleven Madison Park. One odd thing was that it felt a bit too fast - we had to ask them to put the breaks on as we had done our main course in roughly 1 1/2hrs - even then we ended up out of there in roughly 2 1/2hrs which did feel a tad hurried for such a meal :blink:. On the other hand, our lunch at Eleven Madison Park - at half the price - felt a lot less rushed, we were there for nearly 4hrs in the end!

I was lucky enough to experience the Extended Tasting Menu at lunch about 6 weeks ago, and it was brilliant! Lunch started at 11:30 and ended after 5:00 (no dinner was needed that evening). There were more than 20 courses, and for some of the courses, 2 of us received one dish, and 2 of us received another dish so we exchanged plates. Service couldn't have been better. Cost was $500 per person.

I was lucky enough to experience the Extended Tasting Menu at lunch about 6 weeks ago, and it was brilliant! Lunch started at 11:30 and ended after 5:00 (no dinner was needed that evening). There were more than 20 courses, and for some of the courses, 2 of us received one dish, and 2 of us received another dish so we exchanged plates. Service couldn't have been better. Cost was $500 per person.

Did you still have to pay extra for the supplements? That put me off doing the extended tasting, but I'm guessing so given that you can sometimes hit $500 on the normal menu!

Did you still have to pay extra for the supplements? That put me off doing the extended tasting, but I'm guessing so given that you can sometimes hit $500 on the normal menu!

There were no supplements that we had to pay for. We had a dish with shaved black truffles that had more black truffles than the dish on which it was being shaved. No supplement for the foie gras dishes either. To me the extended tasting menu is better value for 20 courses with no supplements than the $295 for 9 courses with supplements.

There were no supplements that we had to pay for. We had a dish with shaved black truffles that had more black truffles than the dish on which it was being shaved. No supplement for the foie gras dishes either. To me the extended tasting menu is better value for 20 courses with no supplements than the $295 for 9 courses with supplements.

Ah that's not so bad then.

Next time I'm in NYC I'll probably be going to Brooklyn Fare as it seems they are a lot more "have EVERYTHING" for a similar cost. I certainly enjoyed Per Se, and knew it would be expensive, but supplements at that price level is a bit painful. It's a good job the $100 wagyu supplement wasn't on when I went!

• 2 months later...

Made reservations for EMP and Per Se today - got on both right when they opened and could only get 5:30 for both.

5:30 is the only time I could get, as well. Is there any possible downside to this I'm not aware of? Other than eating an early dinner (which I do almost regularly, anyhow).

Made reservations for EMP and Per Se today - got on both right when they opened and could only get 5:30 for both.

5:30 is the only time I could get, as well. Is there any possible downside to this I'm not aware of? Other than eating an early dinner (which I do almost regularly, anyhow).

I've always had either a 5:30 or 5:45 reservation at Per Se (except for the extended tasting menu that I had at 11:30 a.m.). I've never felt rushed, and the dinner takes at least 3 hours. IMO, I don't believe there to be any downside to the early dinner reservation at Per Se.

Is the extended tasting menu available only at lunch, or is it something that can be requested at dinner, as well?

The extended tasting menu is available at dinner too, but I would advise getting an early reservation since my extended tasting menu last over 5 1/2 hours! It was one of the best meals ever!

Is the extended tasting menu available only at lunch, or is it something that can be requested at dinner, as well?

The extended tasting menu is available at dinner too, but I would advise getting an early reservation since my extended tasting menu last over 5 1/2 hours! It was one of the best meals ever!

I'm slated for 5:30 on Friday the 13th. How did you request this? I suppose I should just call the reservationist and ask?

How much are they charging? My group paid $500 per person.

The same.

There were no additional charges for foie gras or the black truffles. If you like beef, I highly recommend making a special request for the calotte de boeuf--it was spectacular in flavor and tenderness.

Thanks. I'm not much of a beef eater, but would be interested to try it there. I had a bad experience with the beef at EMP. They brush it with a brown butter infused with thyme and garlic, so, unfortunately, it tasted more of that than it did of beef.

I am hoping for the lobster and some sort of complicated chicken dish.