• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

oakapple

Miss D, when I had dinner a Per Se a couple of years ago, they accommodated my mushroom allergy perfectly and while I am not allergic to fish, I don't really care for it, and they made some wonderful substitutions for me.

As everyone else has noted, just let them know in advance about any allergies.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for your advices!

per se has been informed about the allergies and i'm excited to see just how they will accommodate us!

is it true that we should fast for 2 days before going?

so much good food in new york, i don't even know if i'll be able to skip lunch on the day of the big dinner...

does anyone know approximately how many courses?

Our dinner was 9 courses, if memory serves, not counting amuse-bouche and whatnot -- but it was very well paced and portioned. I ate a normal lunch beforehand and a normal breakfast the next morning, as did at least two of my four dinner companions, and we had a considerable amount of wine, but we all did fine.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

As far as I know he spends time in all his kitchens (FL, Per Se, the Bouchones, Ad Hoc) as well as on other projects, but his base of operations is Yountville CA and he spends more time at FL than at the others.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi..According to an article on the cover page of the Dining section of the last NY Times about Mr. Keller, he is cooking very little at either restaurant and sadly, both of his 2nd in commands there are leaving also...As a big fan of his food at Per Se, we are going to wait and see how this plays out . So many other wonderful chefs have built empires and the cooking at their restaurants has deteriorated. I sure hope this is NOT the case here (especially at his prices) :sad::sad: .

I have eaten at Per Se quite frequently over the last six months. I have had the extreme good fortune of having meals orchestrated not only by Chef Benno but also by his two superb assistants Chef Kaimeh and Chef Breeden. There is no doubt that Chef Benno is an extremely talented chef and I eagerly await the opening of his new restaurant next year. There is also no doubt that Per Se will be left in the similarly superb hands of Chef's Kaimeh and Breeden. In fact, my lunch at Per Se, last saturday, supervised by Chef Breeden, was one of the best I have had at the restaurant this year. I would not worry: I am positive that Per Se will remain a superb dining destination after Chef Benno moves on!!!

Thanks Fat Guy. We are planning a trip to Napa Valley in May and I'd love to go for our anniversary - if he's there. It is such a special experience.

There is really no way to plan with any certainty that he will be in the restaurant. But Keller doesn't really cook anyway, so it doesn't really make that much difference. There is probably no major chef that has done a better job of developing talent under him. His restaurants don't miss a beat in his absence.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was Keller who, when asked "Who cooks the food at your restaurants when you're not there?" answered "The same people who cook the food at my restaurants when I am there."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was Keller who, when asked "Who cooks the food at your restaurants when you're not there?" answered "The same people who cook the food at my restaurants when I am there."

I thought it was Jean Georges, but it could apply to any of these chefs. Keller wasn't there for either of my Per Se/French Laundry visits and they were both sublime. I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from going.

Thanks Fat Guy. We are planning a trip to Napa Valley in May and I'd love to go for our anniversary - if he's there. It is such a special experience.

There is really no way to plan with any certainty that he will be in the restaurant. But Keller doesn't really cook anyway, so it doesn't really make that much difference. There is probably no major chef that has done a better job of developing talent under him. His restaurants don't miss a beat in his absence.

Yes, but the experience when he is there is better - he always invites guests down to the kitchen after their meal to meet him - it is a really special touch. Actually, I am now referring to the French Laundry. The one time we went there and he was not there it was a totally different experience.

I've been to PerSe numerous times and have sadly never met Chef Keller. Still, each time was a memorable and wonderful experience.

If you go in wanting to have a great time and are enthused with the staff, that's all you'll need. (I know, these are quite obvious)

I've eaten at per se when Chef Keller was there, and I've eaten there when he wasn't.

It didn't seem very different to me either way.

If the main difference is whether he personally invites you to the kitchen to meet him, that seems immaterial to me.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I've actually run into Chef Keller more often (at Per Se) that I would have expected, probably 4 or 5 times this year. He is a very gracious host, and apart from a few visits out to the dining room to greet folks here and there, he seems to mostly hover around the pass in Chef whites. I've enjoyed my chats with him just as much as I enjoy chatting with all the folks there, so many people work there that sometimes you see certain people, sometimes you don't. I guess I just don't understand how any one person not being there would affect my enjoyment of what is consistently a world class meal, but everyone has their own peeves :-)

With regards to just the food, I'll add to what's been said already - it's consistently sensational regardless of the presence or absence of anyone in particular in the kitchen, and as a diner I really find this to be ideal. I'll also third the shout out to Chef Breeden, we tend to sit with the AM crew far more often than not, tend to eat off menu, and have had a number of truly truly memorable dishes under his guidance.

I know there are people that don't love the style of the food here, but for someone like me that really loves the food, it's almost silly to think that things could improve further under the next generation of chefs - and yet I'm pretty confident that it will do just that. Chef Kaimeh seems to be a true artist in the most visual sense of the word, and I look forward to eating there just as regularly in 2010.

It is my opinion that at this stage of Chef Keller's empire his being on or off site has little to do with quality control. Regardless if he is in house or not sometimes problems arise and can't be avoided. (Human element)

I suspect if unfortunate problems happen during service it would not have changed anything had Thomas Keller been there.

My experence has been staff at Per Se or French Laundry will always gladly offer a kitchen tour if asked. Sometimes they may not ask as some diners could care less about touring the kitchen. Shame but true. :wink:

Robert R

Although I agree with sickchangeup that the quality at Per Se is superb regardless of who is supervising the kitchen, I would imagine that if Chef Keller is at the pass, the final product would be even better. (If that is indeed possible) Something about having the boss on site.