• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

oakapple

That is quite the hook-up. I took my girlfriend there in September for her 27th birthday and the only hook-up was menus printed up for our table that said happy birthday to her. And it was our 3rd trip there in the last 2 years.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

I am going to be in NYC for a whole month - any ideas how to score a reservation for one person, anyone?

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection

I am going to be in NYC for a whole month  - any ideas how to  score a reservation for one person, anyone?

If you're flexible, there's no doubt you can get in. If you just call them, I can practically guarantee that there is a time slot available for 1 person sometime in the next month.

If it's not this month, but a future month, you can score a table the usual way, by calling 2 months in advance. Tables at Per Se also sometimes show up on OpenTable.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Per Se has a new pastry chef, "Elwyn Boyles" (source: per se website), replacing the man who was there from day 1, "Sébastien Rouxel" (source: http://www.starchefs.com/chefs/rising_star...s_rouxel.shtml).

No idea when this happened, but our server tonight mentioned the change when we gave feedback on the chocolates, which he said had previously not changed in many moons, but which the new pastry chef was now experimenting with.

I had been to Per Se once a few years back and was not bowled over. I went back yesterday for lunch and found it to be amongst the best meals I have had in a long long time. For me, I thought the fish courses were clear stand outs. The 2 meat dishes - 4 story poussin ballatine and lamb loin with olive mousse did not match the splendor of the first 9 courses we had.

Oysters and pearls, fish and chips, langoustines a la plancha were favorites. While not getting points for creativity, the tagliatelle with truffles were outstanding. The kind of plate that made me long to head back to Italy.

I would go back. At 5 hours for lunch, not too too often!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 1 month later...

Packed house tonight as a winemaker was having a bottle release private party in the back (I wasn't there for this). Got to meet Chef Keller, Chef Benno and GM Esmond, pretty much all hands were on deck I think. Even peaked through at Chef Lee in CA through the plasma.

The food was just completely off the charts spectacular, each time I return they seem to take care to learn our tastes and improve the experience without any prompting. Of course it's clear to the staff we care deeply about the food and the restaurant, but we're not regulars per se (pardon the pun) - and I simply have not had better food, but just as importantly, never had better service either.

There are many highlights, but off the top of my head:

- The beer that Chef Keller commissioned from Brooklyn Brewery is quite remarkable. 750ml Champagne style bottle, Dubbel style beer, it's intensely effervescent, slightly sweet nose but a very subtle flavor for a Belgian style beer. No detectable bitterness. I paired this with the meat courses that follow the fish/langoustine/lobster section of the menu. They insist this brew is part of a "one off" run of a set number of cases, I guess time will tell.

- Kitchen freestyled in a veal kidney and a veal sweetbread to accompany the veal on the menu since I had requested any available offal last visit. The kidney was confit'ed in veal fat, cooked sous-vide to rare, then seared quickly on the outside. Absolutely delicious.

- If you can arrange to have the tagliatelle with fresh black truffles included or supplemented into your meal, there is simply no conceivable way you'll regret it. This combined with the black truffle ragout in the white truffle oil custard egg dish has completely changed my perception of black truffles.

Had one of those fine dining only moments, where we were presented with a whole roasted baby poussin for show (tiny little thing - for 2), before it got whisked away and the plates returned composed but with just a strip of breast meat (studded with black truffle sub derma). Delicious, but where'd the rest go??? :-)

So I'm going to NYC this May and I really want to eat at Per se. I know it's expesive, but I want to know what a adverage dinner there cost? They say that sevice is included wich means (tip\gradtudity) So if any of you have had the pleasure of dinning there, could you let me know what dinner cost per person? (roughly)

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

$275 dinner/$175 lunch includes all non-alcoholic beverages and gratuity, but does not include tax.

So you can order 9 courses, water, virgin mojitos, GUS soda, iced tea & coffee, and pay $275+(275*.08375).

If you are interested in doing wine pairings, then I strongly suggest that you view their wine list (available online) in advance of your visit, so you can be comfortable with which glasses and which price points (by the glass) you are comfortable with. They have more than just wine on the online wine menu too, including champagne, beer, sake and non-alcoholic beverages.

I would suggest that if you do order alcohol, that you budget both a 20% tip on the "new" alcohol portion of your bill, and the 8.375% sales tax as well.

Other costs could include whether you want to upgrade your "salad" course to a foie course ($30-$45).

Sorry I can't help with the full wine pairing, I've never done it myself.

I would suggest that if you do order alcohol, that you budget both a 20% tip on the "new" alcohol portion of your bill, and the 8.375% sales tax as well.

To be clear, are you saying that the prices for alcohol do NOT include service? I was under the impression that they did.

I think sickchangeup gave the wrong impression. The prices of everything at Per Se, including alcohol, include an implicit 20% gratuity. You could tip more, but need not do so.

If you want to do a wine pairing, the cost begins at around $100-125pp, and the sky is the limit. Unlike many restaurants, Per Se does not have a set wine pairing. They customize it to your budget and interests.

GF and I went on Friday for lunch and it was nearly perfect, truly amazing all around. It was her birthday, so we got a (free) bottle of house champagne. I got the veg menu and she got the tasting menu (Im not a veggie but we share it all). It was all really good, very generous on truffles. A couple of off menu items as well (it was her birthday and I am in the biz).

Rico

To be clear, are you saying that the prices for alcohol do NOT include service? I was under the impression that they did.

I think sickchangeup gave the wrong impression. The prices of everything at Per Se, including alcohol, include an implicit 20% gratuity. You could tip more, but need not do so.

If you want to do a wine pairing, the cost begins at around $100-125pp, and the sky is the limit. Unlike many restaurants, Per Se does not have a set wine pairing. They customize it to your budget and interests.

Both are right of course, absolutely everything on the menu is priced "service included", alcohol as well.

Since Per Se never posts their lunch menu's online, I figured I'd share the lunch menu format we've enjoyed for the $175:

- gougeres & salmon cornets to start

- "dish" with caviar quenelle. Today was a cauliflower panna cotta, also had a Heart of Romaine Lettuce Mouse in the past. This course is effectively in the spirit of the "Oysters & Pearls" on the dinner menu.

- First bread service with 2 butters

- Usually next you have a choice, either involving a soup/veloutte, or a cold dish (tartare) or a smaller meat course (have had choice of garlic sausage or pastrami here)

- Fish Course

- 2nd bread service

- Meat Course

- Dessert (just the one choice)

- Full Mignardises (same as dinner)

By way of comparison, with the full dinner you usually get the Oysters & Pearls to start, then you gain the salad/foie option course, an extra meat course, a cheese course and intermezzo course. (9 vs. 5).

Also worth noting that right now it's no longer impossible to find a weekend table (using opentable), even for 2. I guess we have the recession to thank for that.

Friday 27th

Cauliflower panna cotta

island creek oyster glaze

white sturgeon caviar

--

tartare of bigeye tuna

togarashi lavash, cucumber, heriloom radish

meyer lemon confit, cilantro shoots, Goma vinaigrette

OR

pastrami of beef calotte

sunny side quail egg, rye crouton, green garlic, marinated sunchokes

cornichons and mustard cress

--

herb roasted fillet of chatham bay cod

russet hash, celery branch, salsify root & young lettuces

winter truffle emulsion

--

elysian fields farms 'carre d'agneau roti entier"

--

chocolate-pistachio

--

mignardise

--

--

I got lazy to write it all out

--

we got our reservations a week ahead from opentable, cancelled my Ko reservations to come here

===

a more proper edit, we got the 9 courses each, and along with that was the salmon cornets, an off menu dish after the 1st (for her it was the classic truffled egg custard with chive chip, and I had something like an olive oil panna cotta), two off menu desserts (one was simple creme brulee for her and a yogurt ginger honey panna cotta for me -- and then we both had what was basically blood orange segments, vanilla bean ice cream, cookie crumble, all in a half sized hurricane glass topped with a 'carbonated' passionfruit foam), and then the usual assault of chcolates and other mignardises

Edited by turkeybone (log)

Rico

So I am looking through opentable and while there are quite a few tables for 2 people it seems that when I switch to looking for one person all those tables disappear. Do they really split 2-tops out for 2 people and 1 person? If I call them directly would they be able to accommodate me at one of those 2 person slots?

So I am looking through opentable and while there are quite a few tables for 2 people it seems that when I switch to looking for one person all those tables disappear.  Do they really split 2-tops out for 2 people and 1 person?  If I call them directly would they be able to accommodate me at one of those 2 person slots?

I've noticed the same thing too on OpenTable for a few restaurants. From other postings I am certain that if you call Per Se directly they can accommodate a solo diner. It may be a "quirk" in the OpenTable system that some restaurants don't permit a party of one reservation.

So I am looking through opentable and while there are quite a few tables for 2 people it seems that when I switch to looking for one person all those tables disappear.  Do they really split 2-tops out for 2 people and 1 person?  If I call them directly would they be able to accommodate me at one of those 2 person slots?

I've noticed the same thing too on OpenTable for a few restaurants. From other postings I am certain that if you call Per Se directly they can accommodate a solo diner. It may be a "quirk" in the OpenTable system that some restaurants don't permit a party of one reservation.

The OpenTable system can accommodate solo diners if the restaurant allows it, but evidently Per Se has elected not to make such reservations available online. The dining room at Per Se has very few true "two-tops" (I believe only a couple of them). Both times I've dined there as a party of two, we were actually seated at a four-top with two chairs missing. I suspect they are loath to commit one of those tables to a solo diner, as they're effectively getting just a 25% yield out of the space. So they probably don't allow that option on OpenTable, figuring that a more lucrative booking (for at least 2 diners) will probably come in later on. If it is still available on the day, then I am sure you could call them and they would give it to you.

The OpenTable system can accommodate solo diners if the restaurant allows it, but evidently Per Se has elected not to make such reservations available online. The dining room at Per Se has very few true "two-tops" (I believe only a couple of them). Both times I've dined there as a party of two, we were actually seated at a four-top with two chairs missing. I suspect they are loath to commit one of those tables to a solo diner, as they're effectively getting just a 25% yield out of the space. So they probably don't allow that option on OpenTable, figuring that a more lucrative booking (for at least 2 diners) will probably come in later on. If it is still available on the day, then I am sure you could call them and they would give it to you.

Just got a reservation for 12:15 for lunch on Sunday! They mentioned that it is easiest to get a lunch reservation and since they mentioned they serve the full 9 course menu for lunch I decided to go or it. :biggrin:

Just got a reservation for 12:15 for lunch on Sunday!  They mentioned that it is easiest to get a lunch reservation and since they mentioned they serve the full 9 course menu for lunch I decided to go or it. :biggrin:

That's great, that's my favorite time. I either go for lunch on Sunday (just a great way to spend the day - regardless of whether I eat 5 or 9 courses), or go for a very early dinner reservation during the week - both of which are achievable these days through opentable.

Let us know how it goes!

Today, Frank Bruni reports what readers of this thread already knew: bookings at Per Se, even on the same day, are routinely available on OpenTable. It's a far cry from a few years ago, when you had to call at 10:00 a.m. on the dot, two months to the day in advance of your preferred date, to have a decent shot at getting in (and usually not at a prime time).

A spokesperson tells Frank, "We are discussing some more creative options in terms of pricing" — "creative" being a synonym for "lower."