• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breaking News: Jonathan Newman resigns!

newsgal

A sad day indeed. You'll be missed, Mr. Chairman. But now that you're out of the public spotlight, I hope you can participate here a bit more. I'm sure that you've got a wealth of knowledge you could share with the appreciative audience here.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm dismayed, but not at all surprised, given the signal the Governor and legislative leaders sent last month.

The fear I have is that now that Chairman Newman has gone a long way to fix what was broken about our state liquor monopoly, the new CEO will try to fix things that no longer need fixing or needlessly tinker with some very successful programs.

Newman's an oenophile; Conti's a restaurateur. While the two categories have some overlap, they are vastly different in what they focus on. For example, one possibility might be that instead of incredible bargains on outstanding wines from small, distinguished wineries, future Chairman's Selections might veer more towards products that could be sold in huge quantities, perhaps to institutional customers and licensees.

Right now, we can only hope that the new CEO won't mess with success where it has occurred.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"For example, one possibility might be that instead of incredible bargains on outstanding wines from small, distinguished wineries, future Chairman's Selections might veer more towards products that could be sold in huge quantities, perhaps to institutional customers and licensees."

sandy, i'm not so sure the chairmans selections were from small wineries. most of the ones noted were pretty big producers.

With Conti, Rendell gets considerable political currency as the Republicans will look upon the appointment favorably and the Dems aren't too upset by it. Newman had little political clout, but did a great job. My guess is that he'll go to the private sector and make considerably more than the $65K he was earning. He certainly deserves it.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Jesus Christmas that's bad news, and just after our new magazine debuted with my visit to his wine cellar:

http://mainlinemagazine.epubxpress.com

A very dark day for Pennsylvania, and wine and spirits lovers across the state.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Right now, we can only hope that the new CEO won't mess with success where it has occurred.

The "Wine Bargains at the PLCB" thread and the Chairman's Selection program were responsible for stimulating my interest in wine. In fact, they are the reason that I joined eGullet.

Many thanks for Mr. Newman's expertise and commitment to improvement at the PLCB. Here's hoping that a new regime can maintain the same attitude toward quality and positive change.

:shock:

:sad::sad::sad:

Ohmigosh! I just don't even know what to say. I was afraid this would happen and sadly have been proven right.

Damn.

Mr. Chairman. We will miss you immensely, but I hope will still see you around here.

Excuse me. I'm going to go have myself a good cry now. This is really incredibly upsetting.

edited to add:

HERE'S the story.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Newman did a HELL of an interview on Howard Eskin's show today, pretty frank and direct on all subjects. Eskin attempted to get Rendell to come on the show, but Rendell refused, said Eskin. I hope WIP archives it on their website.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

true that.

but if he does, jersey is still right next door...

That's the thing, and it's why I always got miffed at people who pooh-pooh'ed the CS program: it did very different things than Canal's ever did, at least for me. It gave me access to wines I can't afford otherwise, and probably never really will. Not everything was a home run, but I drank many a bottle I loved and would never have bought at the original price.

Plus, and this is no small thing, it made me focus. Instead of walking blind into aisles piled high with cases I know nothing about, I can research the wines, get opinions from friends and nice strangers on this site, and make a pretty informed decision.

I'm even more worried because I'm reasonably sure there were already plans in the pipeline to change the CS program. Under Newman's stewardship, that would have been only slightly worrissome. Under Conti, I have no idea what will ensue. And, basically, I trusted Newman. I have a hard time imagining the new administration will measure up.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

Jesus Christmas that's bad news, and just after our new magazine debuted with my visit to his wine cellar:

http://mainlinemagazine.epubxpress.com

Perhaps the Rich Pawlak/DDC curse extends to people as well as places.

Just kiddin', Rich... :laugh: ...as our buddy Marinade's got another tasty winter menu happening.

It's politics stomping on something that's good for the people, once again.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I just got off the phone with Newman, who sounded feisty and in good spirits after his Eskin interview, and he asked me to convey his appreciation for all of the good sentiments on this board, and he will definitely respond soon after this obviously exhausting day.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Thanks for the update Rich. I can't wait to see what Jonathan has to say for himself when he has the opportunity to.

I'm not surprised that a man of his integrity felt the need to step down after how this whole debacle was handled.

I'm awaiting permission from his office to post his Resignation Statement which I received via e-mail this afternoon. If I'm able to, I will post that in its entirety as soon as I get word.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Please, lets keep the discussion on the topic of Jonathan Newman, his tremendous impact on the state store system as well as the impact of his resignation, and any politics directly related to Mr Newman's resignation or Mr. Conti's appointment.

Thanks,

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

About the only positive thing to come out of his leaving is his replacement, P.J Stapleton's quote in today's Inky that he will continue with the Chairman's Selection program.

I am really distressed about this but not at all surprised by it. I wish Mr. Newman much success in whatever he decides to do. I am certain his passion, drive and commitment will continue to define him.

ok so how about this scenario: they decide to continue the chairman's selection program, and re-hire him as a consultant at several times the salary. this has happened to several friends of mine who have gotten laid off in recent years... sweet gig.

ok so how about this scenario: they decide to continue the chairman's selection program, and re-hire him as a consultant at several times the salary.  this has happened to several friends of mine who have gotten laid off in recent years... sweet gig.

Welcome to the world of big business and politics. Really not so unheard of except he's not in it for the $$$. He is really in to changing peoples lives as it relates to their education, knowledge and consumption of wines. Listen, don't you think he was making more than $65,000 at his former law firm?

I emailed the guv yesterday that he had lost my vote

Best,

Mike

For what? This is Gov. Rendell's second term. He cannot seek a third under the state Constitution.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3