• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Death and Company

johnder

By all means, the best part was meeting so many great people and seeing Chicago and New York friends tear it up in the Big Easy! Ok, and Gary Regan and LeNell's panel was alot of fun, too! I'd go back, again and again...

• 2 weeks later...

D&C launched their new food menu today and had a chance to try 3 of the dishes on it very quickly.

The house made soft pretzels with honey mustard and whole grain mustard, the whitefish ceviche with house made tortilla chips and the maple pork belly crostini.

All were pretty amazing, but the the maple pork belly stood out the most as something I would consume with the cocktails.

The new dishes come from Jim Flack, who is formerly of Olives at the W Union Square.

I would say go check it out, because of the dishes I tried so far, they were pretty smokin.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 3 months later...

Had a few cocktails off the brilliant new winter menu last night. Didn't make it to the flip section yet, but I will soon. Still thinking about Alex's Sweet and Vicious (rye, amaro, dry vermouth, maple syrup, apple) in particular - complex and subtle and everything I ever wanted in a cocktail on a cold day in December.

Do you know which dry vermouth? (Sorry -- I'm very interested!)

Sweet and Vicious

2 oz old overholt rye

0.5 oz amaro nonino

0.5 oz noilly prat dry

1 tsp grade b maple syrup

2 thin slices fuji apple.

*lightly muddle (just barely break the meat) fuji apple slices with maple syrup. Add ingredients and cracked ice. Stir, strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with thin slice of fuji apple.

-alex

Sweet and Vicious

2 oz old overholt rye

0.5 oz amaro nonino

0.5 oz noilly prat dry

*lightly muddle (just barely break the meat) fuji apple slices with maple syrup.  Add ingredients and cracked ice.  Stir, strain into cocktail glass.  Garnish with thin slice of fuji apple.

-alex

I'd love to try this one. Can I sub Punta Mes or Ramazzoti for the amaro?

KathyM

Sweet and Vicious

2 oz old overholt rye

0.5 oz amaro nonino

0.5 oz noilly prat dry

*lightly muddle (just barely break the meat) fuji apple slices with maple syrup.  Add ingredients and cracked ice.  Stir, strain into cocktail glass.  Garnish with thin slice of fuji apple.

-alex

I'd love to try this one. Can I sub Punta Mes or Ramazzoti for the amaro?

It's gonna be very different with Ramazzotti (let alone Punt e Mes...), but you can try it. Seriously, find some Nonino -- besides Sherry, it's my favorite thing in the world right now....

-alex

Edited by weinoo (log)

I've been there and they do last call shortly after 11pm. If you get seated before 11ish you should be fine. However, on weekends, the post-dinner wait time can be 1-2 hours.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Good luck -- the problem is that it's hard for the staff to figure out who's in it for multiple rounds and who's stopping in just for a single drink.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Good luck -- the problem is that it's hard for the staff to figure out who's in it for multiple rounds and who's stopping in just for a single drink.

Why are they trying to figure that out? So that they don't cut off the waiting list too early? All they have to do is say "You can leave your name, but I'm not sure whether you'll get in tonight (or `I think you won't get in tonight.')." They did that to me and my girlfriend the other week and told us we'd know by 11:15; if they hadn't called by then, we wouldn't get in.

Michael aka "Pan"

Last night, with a party of six (at the bar at opening) we got to try a number of new drinks on the winter menu. Both the Sweet and Vicious and the Carrol Gardens were right on, as I was in a brown liquor mood. Place was packed and there was a decent crowd outside waiting for the doors to open at 5:45 PM.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I stopped by last night as well to celebrate repeal day. Started with Brian's great Hispaniola cocktail (tea infused flor de cana, lime, ginger), then had Joaquin's Smoked Horchata (House made hochate, tequilla, crema de mezcal, cinnamon bark syrup, bitters) and ended with the Spanish Caravan (tea infused tequilla, benny, cointreau, grand ma, amaretto, bitters)

All spot and on a delicious. In case any wants to see the new menu, eater has a copy of it online here as a pdf.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 4 months later...
come between 6-7 to guarantee a table.  we have four tables that can accommodate you -- shouldn't be a problem.  that said, there can be strange nights when the place is packed right away....

cool - sounds good. thanks. are there bar seats at all? or just not very many?

Just wanted to report back that we had a fantastic time on our two visits to Death and Company over the weekend. We managed to sit at the bar on Friday night and had a very enjoyable journey through the menu, as well as my first Fresa Brava since Joaquin visited the Violet Hour last year. We then had a couple of more relaxed drinks before getting the bus back to Boston last night. Every single drink was fantastic, as was the bar itself. Definitely right up there with the Violet Hour in my estimation, I guess, and better than anywhere else I've been.

• 1 year later...

Congrats to Death & Co. for winning a number of awards at Tales, including:

Best American Cocktail Bar

World's Best Cocktail Bar

World's Best Cocktail Bar

Job well done, and we're lucky to live in NYC.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?