• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Death and Company

johnder

So slkinsey, donbert, themaininwhite and myself stopped by a new cocktail place that is opening in the East Village called Death and Company. We heard about this place from a few bartender friends we know and decided to check it out. The place is slightly hard to find as there is no major signage outside aside from the name embedded in the concrete in the saddle of the doorway. It is much easier to find as it is the only storefront on the street that is made entirely of dark wood with a very imposing /heavy/awesome wood door and equally impressive door handle.

Don and I actually stopped by quickly last week for a drink, but tonight was our first real tasting of the cocktails and some of the food.

While the menu is still in its early stages, they do have some drinks that stand out:

Jersey Tenor -- Applejack, Lemon, Maple, Egg White, Soda, Fee's

Sipping Seasons -- Applejack, Cognac, Maple, Angostura

Daisy Day Martinique -- La Favorite Rhum, Charteuse, Lime

St. Matilda -- Herradura Silver, Lemon, Mathilda Poire Liqueur, Pear

All of which were pretty awesome in the times I have tasted them. They have some pretty first class Bar talent working there, so the drinks are definitely prepared with care -- right down to the massive cold draft ice machine they have cranking out the ice.

One of the owners Dave Kalpan is a graduate of the B.A.R course, and the other, Ravi DeRossi is the owner of The Bourgeois Pig and The Bourgeois Pig West.

After speaking to Dave he is definitely passionate about his liquor and has amassed an impressive list of spirits and wines. One of the nice touches is the spirits list which does a good job at highlighting their selection Don and I were blown away by the Las Amantes Joven mescal which had an insane smoke aroma to it that worked great in the drinks we tried them in.

As far as the food the menu as it stood focused mainly on bites to eat along with the drinks. I have a copy of all the full menus, but don't want to highlight anything until they offically open, as I know they are in the process of still tweaking things.

For those that are interested, I suggest you stop by and check it out. It is definatley worth a stop in, especially if you have been to other cocktail places in NYC, as you may see a few familar faces hanging around.

As I mentioned they are having their offical opening on Janurary 15th, but people are welcome to stop by in the meantime and check it out.

I will be stopping by later in the week and see if I can grab some photos of the cocktails.

The info is:

Death and Company

433 6th Street, Between 1st and A

(North side of the street)

Hours of operation are 6pm to 2am. [hours updated 1/16/07]

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Here's a teaser photo of one of the cocktails we had using the Las Amantes Joven mescal John mentioned:

gallery_26869_3562_5498.jpg

It was essentially a barbencourt daiquiri with a scant 1/2 oz (1/4 oz?) of the mescal. Even so, the mescal gave this drink an intense smokey flavor that was simply awesome.

More photos to follow soon.

I'd be surprised if the price for most of the drinks wasn't anything other than the standard $12....

I'm always gratified to see another cocktail spot open....but that location is very risky for that sort of operation.

Blue Owl doesn't seem to get a lot of business and that is the previous attempt in the area.

Yeah, Angel's Share does a thriving first date business but the quality control isn't very high...and they have a lot of crappy, if more popular, drinks.

I am not sure of the origin on the name, but I assume it has some reference to prohibition. The cocktails right now at $10, but I am not sure if that is their final price, or their pre-opening price. I will confirm shortly.

Oh, one other thing - as you can see in Donbert's photo the bar (which seats about 13) is entirely made of marble. While it looks great, I am worried about how much barware the marble will consume in the form of tipped over drinks that shatter.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I can't say that I find the name particularly appealing, but then I am probably not of the demographic that they are hoping to appeal to.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yea, I liked it very much too. Warm space, good layout and comfortable lighting.

I had a Jersey Tenor (as described above by Jonder). Great silky texture, liked it very much. I'd like another and another....

I hope they are able to resolve their little problems with the neighbor

That wasn't chicken

I like this place a lot.

I think I marginally prefer Pegu Club because it seems more "adult" to me (probably a function of its location, and hence the crowd it attracts, although also its decor -- and it seems less cramped).

But OTOH, the daquiri with the mescal is a work of genius. These guys are REALLY good. I'm going to be here A LOT. (If I can get in, I guess.)

(Re: the name -- it's from Sylvia Plath, right?)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I am thinking the best way to get in and secure one of the 12-13 seats at the bar is get there early and claim your seat. That's my plan anyway.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Fuck. I'm sure it's that.

It is profoundly embarrassing that there's something that could have referred to either Dashiel Hammet or Sylvia Fucking Plath, and I picked Plath. I can never show my face in public again.

My apologies to the proprietors of Death and Company for implying that they're lame. (PLEASE let me in again anyway.)

(PS -- It's a short story, not a novel, right?)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I haven't been on eGullet in a while and I couldn't believe this place has this much mention already.

I went last Thursday and loved the Jersey Tenor. I guess I'd gone too often to Pegu Club all fall and winter and the menu's gotten stale to me. And they've never changed their food menu once and don't offer dessert so Death & Co seems like a great alternative. Finally somewhere to go after EU if I ever go back. I only hope that being at the far end of East 6th Street the drinks stay at $10 each. That and I hope I never run into my ex-girlfriend again at a bar that didn't even open yet. What are the odds?

The only thing I thought was a letdown was the decor didn't fit what I thought a bar called Death & Co would feel like, except for the mini-chandeliers and the gothic looking bathroom mirror. The exterior had so much more promise for the inside. Also it seemed odd there was a sink inside and outside the bathroom but that's just quirky. It felt like a much more homey alternative to Little Branch too although their hot cider now brings me back downstairs.

Yeah, I think the decor could use some work. the crowd was a little young for my taste.

We gave the doorman our number after he told us there was a half-hour wait, and he called like five minutes later. So giving him your number, then having a beer at the Sidewalk might be the way to go. If you can handle the significant difference in atmosphere. I'm afraid perhaps we could not.

I must say I did not care for the Jersey Tenor, and my fiance felt like he paid ten bucks for a shot of his usual with a cinnamon stick in it.

they had a heavy young B&T crowd on Friday night...the word was out.

but I asked for one of the owners by name and we were able to replace a couple that had just left their seats at the bar.

but, yeah, it's going to be a bit annoying on the weekend for a while....though as the evening progressed it thinned out.

in terms of drink quality, they compete on the same playing field as Pegu and Flatiron..at least when they're not rushed.

Adamru, what time were you there on Thursday? there were about a dozen egulleteers there that night.

I made it into Death & Co. last night around 9:00 and was pleasantly surprised to find it sparsely occupied. Maybe two or three people at the bar and seven or eight more at the tables. Personally, I liked the decor. It just seemed to work. The wood, dark accents and New Orleans-esque candelabras go well with good cocktails (then again, what doesn't go well with good cocktails?). I was expecting a slightly more extensive drink list, but I imagine they are in the process of finalizing their menu for the official opening. Then again, like any good purveyors of quality cocktails they were more than willing to take special requests off the menu. I sampled the Devil in Dress: rye, now ubiquitous home-made ginger beer, lemon, mint and raspberry and the Sipping Seasons: Laird's Bonded, VSOP Cognac, Vt. Pure Maple Syrup, bitters and a cinnamon swizzle. Both were very well executed. Great balance of flavors. Nicely thought out drinks. I was pleased with the service. Staff was friendly, knowledgable, approachable and accommodating.

Based on previous posts and the press this place is getting online I see it blowing up and becoming an absolute nightmare (in terms of crowds and waits) Weds-Sat. Fortunately for me, I'm off on Mondays and Tuesdays so I have a chance. It's also nice to have another complement to Pegu.

Congrats to the owners on their venture. It's a well conceived idea and I wish them much success.

My husband and I checked it out last night. We walked in about 6:50 and were told they would be opening at 7:00. So, we took a walk down the block and came back at 7:02. There were only 2 seats left at the bar!

I started with the Jovencourt Daiquiri (barbancourt white rum, fresh lime juice, los amantes joven mescal) and he had a Last Word. Both were excellent. My next round I just asked for a tequila cocktail & got a beautiful red cocktail made with mescal (sorry I don't remember the name or the ingredients, but if I get lucky on Monday I'll be able to get it again). We tried a few of the small plates too...pretty solid.

Overall, very good. My only wish would be for them to take credit cards, as we usually don't carry much cash.

I was actually at the bar last night as well, right at opening. I agree. It went from 0 to 100 in about 5 minutes.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

"Overall, very good. My only wish would be for them to take credit cards, as we usually don't carry much cash."

I believe they're supposed to get a credit card link next week.

(I don't think they're refusing to take credit cards in a Milk & Honey style deliberately anachronistic kind of way).

Yes, their official hours right now are 6pm until 2am.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Here is the cocktail menu that will be available tonight, hot off the presses.

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered)">

<title>Cocktails</title>

<style>

<!--

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

font-size:8.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";}

@page Section1

{size:8.5in 11.0in;

margin:1.0in 175.5pt 1.0in 2.75in;}

div.Section1

{page:Section1;}

-->

</style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><b><span

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>Cocktails</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'> </span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>St Matilda</span></b></p>

<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><span

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Herradura Silver Tequila, Fresh Lemon Juice, Mathilde

Poires Liqueur, Fresh Pear</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'> </span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Mig Royale</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Plymouth Gin, Maraschino, Cointreau, Fresh Lemon Juice,

Topped with Champagne</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Company Buck</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Goslings Dark Rum, Pineapple Juice, Orange Juice,

Homemade Ginger Beer, Fresh Lime Juice</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Monongahela Mule</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Old Overholt Rye Whiskey, Fresh Lemon Juice, Homemade

Ginger Beer, Mint, Raspberries</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>19<sup>th</sup> St Special</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Bakers Bourbon, Muddled Tangerine, Fresh Lemon Juice,

Aperol</span></p>

<div class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><b><span

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>

<hr size=1 width="56%" noshade color=black align=center>

</span></b></div>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Pink Lady</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Plymouth Gin, Laird’s Applejack, Fresh Lemon Juice,

Homemade Grenadine, Egg White</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Jersey Tenor</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Laird’s Applejack, Paul Monier VSOP Cognac, a Touch of

Vermont Pure Maple Syrup, a Dash of Angostura Bitters, Served with a Cinnamon

Stick</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Bobby Burns</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Famous Grouse Scotch, Sweet Vermouth, Benedictine</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Jovencourt Daiquiri</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Barbancourt White Rum, Fresh Lime Juice, Los Amantes

Joven Mescal</span></p>

<div class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><b><span

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>

<hr size=1 width="56%" noshade color=black align=center>

</span></b></div>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Martica</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Appleton’s V/X Rum, Paul Monier VSOP Cognac, Carpono

Antica Vermouth,</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Luxardo Maraschino</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Fancy Free</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, a

Dash of Angostura and Orange Bitters, Finished with a Flamed Orange Twist</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Lucino’s Delight</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Beefeater Gin, Carpano Antica Vermouth, Luxardo

Maraschino Liqueur, Amaro Lucino</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center;text-indent:1.0in'><span

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Wicked Kiss</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Bonded Applejack Brandy, Rittenhouse Rye, Benedictine,

Yellow Chartreuse, a Dash of Angostura Bitters</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Oaxaca Old Fashion</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Del Maguey Chichicapa

Mescal, Agave Nectar, a Dash of Angostura Bitters, Finished with a Flamed

Orange Twist</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>Hot Drinks</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Hot Buttered Rum</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Angostura 1919 Rum, Butter, Allspice, Nutmeg, Clove,

Light Brown Sugar, Steamed together and Finished with a Dusting of Freshly

Grated Cinnamon</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:8.0pt'> </span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Hot Toddy</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, Benedictine, Clove studded

Lemon Wedge, Served with a Cinnamon Stick</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'> </span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>Friends and Family</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Cocktails created by Junior Merino of the Cocktail

Times and </span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>The Liquid Chef</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Inca Sol</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Barsol Pisco, Mathilde Poires Liqueur, Fresh Lemon

Juice, Mint, A Dash of Fee Brother’s Bitters, Topped with Champagne</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Demeter</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Mezcal, Mayan Honey Liqueur, Cucumber, Tarragon, Jasmin

Syrup, Fresh Lime Juice</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Modern Mojito</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Leblon Cachaca, Fresh Lime Juice, Sweet Basil, Agave

Nectar, Topped with Soda</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'> </span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>All Cocktails $12</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'> </span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>Alcohol Free Cocktails</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Pineapple Daiquiri</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Pineapple Juice, Fresh Lime Juice, Pomegranate Molasses</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Eastside Express</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Espresso, Heavy Cream, Demurara Sugar, Egg White,

Dusted with Freshly Grated Nutmeg</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Ginger Fruit Fizz</span></b></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt'>Muddled Fruit of Your Choice, Home-made Ginger Beer,

Fresh Lime Juice, Topped with Soda Water</span></p>

style='font-size:8.0pt;text-transform:uppercase'>Alcohol Free Cocktails $6</span></b></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--