• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taipei travel diary 2006

Nishla

Thank You so much, Xiao Liang, for taking the trouble to post the photographs. Those cleared up the doubts I had.

You will note my mention of internodes in my first post: from your beautiful pictures of the plucked and cooked shoots, I see that you pick them up to 4 internodes, while i/we in Bengal stop at 2 [just like tea:two leaves and a bud!].

That accounts for the much larger (and more hollow) cross-section of the stem, which was what was disorienting me!

Plus, in different parts of the world, cowpea [almost identical genetically to yard-long beans] leaves and shoots are eaten with relish, and I was curious to learn if Taiwan, also might have similar traditions, or used soybean plants as greens.

Thanks again.

gautam.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

I'm so happy I found this thread! So happy...and SO HUNGRY now. Honestly, I was hooked from your first shots of breakfast--I tried explaining that to some friends once:

"Uh, it's fried dough wrapped in fried dough."

So, so good. I've only really had the sweet soy milk because every time I've tried to order the salty, my mom looks at me and says: You want the salty? in this tone that makes me feel like I'm crazy. Too bad, next time it's salty all the way!

Thank you so much for sharing.

"Uh, it's fried dough wrapped in fried dough."

So, so good. I've only really had the sweet soy milk because every time I've tried to order the salty, my mom looks at me and says: You want the salty? in this tone that makes me feel like I'm crazy. Too bad, next time it's salty all the way!

Fried dough wrapped in fried dough! LOL!!! It is what that is.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 year later...

I just stumbled onto this thread and had to add my YUMM and AHHHH and Oh, My Goodness!!! to all the others.

I just loved the tour and all the colorful shops and stands and markets. I'm not a seafood person, and the dishes STILL made me want a taste. I hope you're going on another trip soon!!!

PS---I wanted to buy some of everything, but what about the watermelon seeds? Are they toasted, salted, what? I only know them for spittin'.

Rachel - usually the watermelon seeds are brined and then toasted. That way they're covered in this nice salty sheen that makes for great sucking before cracking the seed cover to get the crunchy seed inside. There are inferior brands that makes your jaws ache to crack them (seed cover too hard). But the great ones open with a satisfying pop between your two front teeth (make sure you lodge the seed horizontally in the space between two teeth so that it won't slip when you bite down). And don't bite too hard because you will end up with a halved covered seed. LOL

I prefer toasted squash seeds and sunflower seeds.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

What a fun thing to know---I'll look for some in our favorite Asian market.

Thanks!!

(And if they turn out to be the too-hard ones, we'll just have a tournament in the back yard.  I bet I can still outspit Chris!)

If you have a Thai market in your neighbourhood (or at least in your city), it would be a good place to start!

I like watermelon seeds because you don't have to peel them to eat them (at least the really thin ones).