• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grazing

srhcb

I'm a big advocate of having a full home cooked meal every evening, but on rare occasions when GF is working late or out of town I'll skip cooking only for myself and dine by grazing.

Tonite being just such a time, I started off with a leftover piece of yesterday's frittata between two slices of homemade potato bread. (I could have finished off the frittata last night, but forsaw this possibility.)

Next I had half a dozen Saltine crackers with Cheddar cheese and a stalk of celery spread with Skippy Peanut Butter.

Then, a bowl of Maruchan Ramen (chicken) and another piece of Skippied celery, followed by eight Ritz crackers with Skippy.

It doesn't seem like much, but I'm not hungry. And it was better than take-out or junk food.

Later, I'll have a slice or two of a pumpkin quickbread I made last night.

What do you have when you "graze"?

SB (could have eaten a few potato chips, if I'd had them)

The fallback snack in our house is unsalted pretzels dipped in hoummos. I've also been known to dip them in peanut butter or cream cheese. If feeling guilty, dip baby carrots.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Plain Greek yogurt with granola and a little brown sugar is popular in my house. Cereal is too dangerous...can't keep it around, I'll eat a whole box in two days. Love the stuff. But granola I can control myself around.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm a big advocate of having a full home cooked meal every evening, but on rare occasions when GF is working late or out of town I'll skip cooking only for myself and dine by grazing.

Tonite being just such a time, I started off with a leftover piece of yesterday's frittata between two slices of homemade potato bread.  (I could have finished off the frittata last night, but forsaw this possibility.)

Next I had half a dozen Saltine crackers with Cheddar cheese and a stalk of celery spread with Skippy Peanut Butter. 

Then, a bowl of Maruchan Ramen (chicken) and another piece of Skippied celery, followed by eight Ritz crackers with Skippy.

It doesn't seem like much, but I'm not hungry.  And it was better than take-out or junk food.

Later, I'll have a slice or two of a pumpkin quickbread I made last night.

What do you have when you "graze"?

SB (could have eaten a few potato chips, if I'd had them)

I think I would explode if I ate that much.

But I start with cookies or cake, then I move on to protein and then ramen or pasta. It usually ends up with me being uncomfortably full. Like now.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

When I graze it starts with salty(sourdough pretzels or dill pickles) and then moves on to salty/spicy (rice with soy and sriachi or soy and wasabi). I have also been known to eat almost an entire loaf of Boudin's sourdaough bread by myself (as a snack). Yes, i feel like crap afterwards, but it is so good, especially the heels.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

grazing....

a little 6 year old cheddar and maybe some maytag with triscuits (4 crackers per person) or some apple slices

some leftover sweet and sour meatballs with some rice(only 3 per person)

right now from the fridge a small bowl(4 oz or so) of leftover lentil soup with a slice of garlic bread

some fage with poached quince for me - truffles for johnnybird

the last of the port with the cheese and crackers

the last of the veuve cliquot with dessert

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Curry naan with peanut butter

quesadillas

burritos

scrambled egg sandwich w mustard

flatbread and hummous

bread, butter & marmite

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Hummus and Lavash (for today)

Guacamole (tomorrow)

Sushi (today)

Bean dip and tortilla chips

Kimchee (just by itself)

Low salt dry roasted peanuts

Quesadillas (made with tomato sauce, Mozz, and mushrooms)

I can't cook right now because my kitchen is being painted, and so I have to have snacks instead. I stocked up on smoked turkey, Black Forest ham, and sharp Provolone cheese.

My favorite 'grazing' foods:

Homamade pimiento cheese on toasted bread

Instant beef soup noodles

Leftover mapo tofu on rice

Soft boiled eggs with soldier toasts

Prawn crackers dipped in garlic vinegar dip

Roasted chestnuts

Boiled peanuts

I could go on forever...

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Tuesday night was a great example:

Two pieces of toast with butter

One chunk of St Benoit du lac cheese

A few slices of salami

Two spoonfuls of peanut butter

Two spoonfuls of blueberry honey

Three almond crescents

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.