• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panini Grills & Espresso Machines

NhumiSD

Hi all,

Iam looking to buy a panini machine and a few other items. Would appreciate any info on related brands for Panini Grills and Espresso Machines for a cafe. I dont mind putting more money for a brand that lasts.

Please let me know of your past experiences on your likes/dislikes on your brand. Thanks you much.

-Yumi

Panini grill - I would recommend my Cuisinart Griddler (GR-4). Floating hinge to adjust to the thickness of your sandwich. Non-stick and removable plates that are easy to clean. Double as a griddle.

Priced @ $129. I got mine from Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon.

If this is for commercial use in a cafe you'll need a 220V commercial unit that gets really hot and recovers heat quickly - plus it should have a surface large enough to cook at least two sandwiches at once if you plan on doing any volume. An eGulleteer of my acquaintance who opened a cafe a year or two ago researched panini grills heavily and bought some French brand that was reputed to be oh-so-deluxe. He was sorely disappointed - when it worked well it was good but it needed service way too often for a brand new machine.

IMHO it's worth looking for a domestically produced or widely distributed brand for whicch service is readily available.

As for espresso machines - if $$ is no object stick to Synesso or La Marzocco. At the next price level down I consider Rio / Astoria (same machines with different badge) to be one of the most solid. I hear a wide variety of opinions about La Cimbali - another name you're likely to see. Getting less favorable reviews at the high end are Conti and at the low end San Marco.

Avoid used machines unless you are comfortable doing a basic rebuild yourself before you put it into servie.

Does anyone have experience with the prosumer style espresso machines, such as Pasquini or Rancilio? I've seen all kinds of espresso machines in that range, as well, but companies I've never heard of, such as Jura and Francis Francis!. Any recommendations for a good prosumer model of espresso machine?

In all fairness to and loyalty for the forum I myself host :wink: I refer you to the thread Least Expensive Machine For Decent Espresso?

It may answer most of your questions. In the context of this thread it is relevant as to whether there will be commercial use or not. A very good prosumer espresso machine for home use will run about $900 - $1300.

But if you are doing light commercial duty and wil need such necessities as plumbed in water supply, plumbed in drain tray, NSF certification and a 220V boiler element for faster heat recovery of the boiler - you can expect to pay closer to $2500 for something like the well proven Cimbali Jr.

for panini press, i recommend the Krups panini press: the right weight and heft, a good heat level....nonstick......easy to clean......

i used it when i did radio and television promotion for my book Grilled Cheese: 50 Recipes to Make You Melt (Chronicle books). (gratuitous plug, sorry). anyhow, wherever i went with the panini grill, my interviewers and eaters both were happy.

i wish i still had it now==couldn't take it back with me to the uk. at home i just use a heavy frying pan and another heavy frying pan on top, to weight the sandwich down.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, this would be for a commercial cafe. So far the coffee company that I will buy coffee from does recommend the Rio for my budget. Most likely, the compact that has two groups. How much do I expect to pay for something like this - I think it was mentioned around 4400 for this Rio. Is this reasonable?

As for the Panini machines, since its so much cheaper, I probably just go with an average priced machine. We do have 220V within the place.

Thanks again,

-Yumi

i agree with own (phaelon56), check out the coffe&tea forum. he provides great links to on-line companies that sell espresso machines for home and commercial use (and some in-between). i bought a home espresso machine from one of his recommendations.

So far the coffee company that I will buy coffee from does recommend the Rio for my budget.  Most likely, the compact that has two groups.  How much do I expect to pay for something like this - I think it was mentioned around 4400 for this Rio.  Is this reasonable?

That price is right on target. I think that is a disounted price and very fair. And - assuming the prices are fairly close - there is a significant space saving available by using the compact rather than the standard two group model. You'll also need two good grinders - one for decaf and one for regular espresso. The grinders will run $250 - $650 each btu if you noe around on eBay for used or refurbished Mazzer Super Jolly / Luigi grinders you can get those for about $250 - $350 complete with new burrs, new bean hoppers etc. They'll have a few scratches or chips on the paint finish but the Mazzer unis are as good as it gets for most cafe's.

And make sure you have a good in-line water filter installed before you put in the espresso machine. if the water in your area is hard (high mineral content) you'll also want a rechargeable or possibly a cartridge based dedicated softener as well.