• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ham bone soup ideas

James Satriano

Hi all, Happy New Year!

Got a bone from a great ham and am looking for suggestions for soup.

Not very imaginative, I guess, but for lunch today I just polished off the final bit of my post-holiday ham bone soup... split pea. I never get tired of it, and I make it really simply. (Ok, so I stir in a thimbleful of sherry just before eating, but otherwise, it's pretty straightforward fare.) Any bean soup makes me happy, especially this time of year, and a ham bone is always a welcome addition. Another favorite of mine that is perhaps a little less common is cream of turnip soup. Think cream of potato, only... well... made with turnips instead.

Happy New Year to you, too!

I'm with Sunny...

Navy Bean soup with some extra ham hocks added in.

Word. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A big pot of greens! Yummy rice porridge!! :wub:

Oh wait, soup....split pea is great w/ a nice ham bone. If that's too much trouble, just make a stock of the bone and add a bunch of vegetables. Vegetables of my choice: onion, celery, tomato, carrot, cabbage and potato.

red beans and rice.

black bean soup..that's what I'm doing tomorrow w/my bone.

and definately adding sherry!

I have been yearning to produce Nigella Lawson's Black Bean Soup made with the liquor left from her ( I know! I know!) Gammon/Ham in Coca Cola. Hers is with lime juice, cumin, coriander black beans, the aforementioned liquid garnished with sour cream and fresh cilantro.

Best of all....she is now telling us the same ham done in Cherry Coke is even better. Sigh...............

Worst thing is, I believe her. :rolleyes:

red beans and rice.

black bean soup..that's what I'm doing tomorrow w/my bone.

and definately adding sherry!

I have been yearning to produce Nigella Lawson's Black Bean Soup made with the liquor left from her ( I know! I know!) Gammon/Ham in Coca Cola. Hers is with lime juice, cumin, coriander black beans, the aforementioned liquid garnished with sour cream and fresh cilantro.

Best of all....she is now telling us the same ham done in Cherry Coke is even better. Sigh...............

Worst thing is, I believe her. :rolleyes:

[/quot

I say go for it! my soup was a very traditional black bean soup, but you can buy mixes here that 'cajun' it up. There's a great chriozo (sp?) and black bean soup on Epicurious that I've tried recently...but has absolutely nothing to do with a ham bone. On second thought, it was a bit weak in the base flavors, a nice (even sweet) ham bone could only bring it up a bit. I've also thrown a carribbean spice blend into any bean recipe, just to be different. Much as we love red beans, it's nice to mix it up and use other flavors and varieties.

Edited by highchef (log)