• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Jeanty Tomato Soup Pairing

SiseFromm

Following a recent trip to Napa Valley, I'm so inspired by Jeanty's beautiful and delicate Tomato Soup in Puff Pastry I'm going to be preparing it for a dinner party next weekend. It's a lovely and rich soup with a velvety mouth feel, tart and fresh tomato flavor, and a rich addition of cream to bring everything together. The soup is topped with golden brown puff pastry. Of course, breaking into the pastry and stirring it into the soup is the real joy of this simple but beautiful dish.

The big question, is what to pair with it? My guts tell me to go with a big creamy white wine. I would think a White Burgundy or French-Style New World Chardonnay would play off the creaminess and mouth feel of the soup, but I don't want to interfere with that unmistakable, slightly acidic bite of tomato. Something crisper might be in order like a White Bordeaux/Sauvignon Blanc. Maybe something with a slight sweetness like a Riesling? I want to take advantage of some of the wine we purchased from our recent trip, which would basically put us in the Chardonnay category I just mentioned. We didn't pick up much white except for a few estate Chardonnays which are delicious.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

My first recommendation is no wine with soup. My second recommendation (and it's a very distant second) isn't white, but barbera or sangiovese.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Also, for kicks, my running thread on our trip can be found here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=97385

I really want to take advantage of one of the whites we picked up in the Valley, but I'm not sure how it's going to play out against that soup. Alternately, I might do a different soup all together as the first course. It's actually just a small portion of soup. More like an amuse than a full soup course. I just need a taste of something in everybody's glass to get them through.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Adding to Brad's, naimly 1st choice.

Valtelina Superiore 3-4 yeras old, a semi dry german Spatlese

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.