• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Mozzerella Cheese Curd

Luckylies

I want to make some mozz, to see if I can put together a better cheese, anybody know where I can score some fresh curd?

second question...anybody know where I can score buffalo curd?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I know this isn't in NYC, but it's where I get my curd from. I'm trying to make friends with my local Italian shop, so I can score some from them...

If you can't find any, give this site a chance...Curd

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

is the polly-o stuff good? have you been having good results? this is one of the sites that I've seen and it seems okay, but with shipping added alot of these sites have me breaking even on a 1 pound ball of cheese...I wanted to be a little cost effective...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

As far as I know, most of the places in New York that sell so-called made-on-premises mozz use Polly-O curds.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As far as I know, most of the places in New York that sell so-called made-on-premises mozz use Polly-O curds.

What he said...

I enjoy the results I get a great deal. The shipping is expensive, no doubt, but the cost still comes in under what they are charging for mozz in the stores. And, nothing compares to that still warm freshness of your own pulled mozz...

I buy huge chunks (over ten pounds), break it down and vacuum seal it, then freeze it. It works superbly and I can have fresh whenever I want.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

It's also entirely possible to make your own curds from, you know, milk.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The one time I tried to make curd for mozzarella it was a disaster, and I'm told by people with a lot more skill and knowledge than I can muster that it is a very tricky curd to make - pH needs to be spot on, for one thing. Me, I'm sticking to soft goat cheese from now on - foolproof; less like a science experiment and more like cooking.

Has FatGuy succeeded in making mozz curd? If so, a tutorial might be in order.