• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a portable butane burner inside

tino27

I have a catering event coming up in February at an indoor site that contains no kitchen facilities of any kind. Today I purchased this item ...

Portable Butane Burner

in order to help me reheat some planned items on the menu.

Now, I understand that using this type of device in a small enclosed space (like a camping tent) is bad because of the carbon monoxide build-up, but the room I will be using this in is approximately half the size of a high school gymnasium. The other thing to mention is that the event will be approximately 60-90 minutes; however, the burner will probably be going closer to 2 hours.

The last thing I want to do is cause any of the guests problems with CO poisoning.

Am I right to be concerned or am I overthinking this?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

In spite of manufacturers' warnings, climbers use butane stoves (and sometimes even white gas models) inside tents that you can barely even sit up in. They've been doing it for decades. It just takes some ventilation, and some focus on not incinerating yourselves.

Climbing stoves don't put out the BTUs of that thing, but the tents are a lot smaller and stuffier than a dining room.

Notes from the underbelly

A burner like that is specifically designed for indoor catering use. Not a problem. Just be aware that you'll probably have to change the canister at least once and possibly twice in a two-hour period.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tino - you picked a primo product with the Iwatani. I have been using one in my catering projects for years. You want to make sure that the table you use it on can take some heat and that the space is clear (for example, your table should not be up against windows that have curtains dangling). Also - any pot you heat on it will be hot, so if there is carpet on the floor, don't put the pot on it or it will burn (this happened to someone else at an event I worked on).

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I have used these and other, larger burners with a hose to a propane tank with no problems indoors.

However, with these burners I do place them on a sheet pan so there is free space around them and nothing gets shoved up against the burner. We also always weighted the tables, by hanging gallon jugs of water from the support legs (so they are about an inch off the floor) and also taping the legs together with duct tape, which also helped to secure them.

Often we were in similar rooms with herds of kids and also used barrier stands to keep them at least a foot away from the table.

A great deal depends on your guests. I learned from experience that any guys up to age 30 can start horsing around and bump into tables, same with kids and sometimes the very elderly who tend to lean on things without looking or set things down without looking.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett