• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Byob spots in Cleveland?

d. polito

can some folks help provide an up-to-date list of BYOB spots in cleveland? i'm missing out on my local byob brooklyn favorites. so far i know of . . .

vivo

new thai place in tremont

if you don't want to out someplace to the masses, feel free to pm me with any info.

can some folks help provide an up-to-date list of BYOB spots in cleveland?  i'm missing out on my local byob brooklyn favorites.  so far i know of . . .

vivo

new thai place in tremont

if you don't want to out someplace to the masses, feel free to pm me with any info.

Vivo? That's shocking. Anyway, one of my favorite restaurants in the entire city in El Tango Taqueria. It's more casual than any of the other spots mentioned in the thread. You order at the register and your food is brought to you. It's very much a product of its owner. When he was out with the flu last week it was closed for at least a day. The guacamole (not available if he doesn't like the way the avocados look) is made after you order it. This commitment to freshness and quality runs throughout the entire menu. And it sometimes means that the food comes out when its ready not when you're ready. This wasn't a problem on my last visit and I think this issue may have been taken care of.

In any case, these idiosyncrasies have never kept me away. The food is more than worth it. Awesome, in fact.

Try some soup.

We're checking out a place in Twinsburg tonight that's BYOB... Lobster Trap. Anyone been? Said to be sans corkage as well. The Free Times gave it a glowing review back in November and we can't resist the dangling carrot of good seafood. I'll report back with results.

Yup... Lobster Trap is BYOB for now, but probably not much longer. Our waitress said that they're looking at February and to just ask when you call for reservations.

http://www.freetimes.com/story/4281

We really liked this place, BTW. My husband and I had the 1.5 lb. crab stuffed lobster and it was amazing. The stuffing was moist, flavorful, and full of crab meat. Really nice. The lobster itself was beautiful. Very fresh. I told my husband that we're going to have to go back soon because I'm going to have that lobster on my mind for a while. The apps were fantastic, the NE clam chowder was spot on, but the sides and salads could use some work. The staff was charming and atmosphere wasn't a problem as the dining room was full of large parties like ours, enjoying the BYOB policy.

• 3 weeks later...

old grumpy's was great. one of my favorite places for brunch, and their late night "hospitality hours" were great for second shift folk. i haven't been to the new one.

my apologies about the vivo mention, i obtained that info from three different sites on the internet, which were obviously all outdated.

el tango is great, and i've been going there for years now. however, the last few times i've been (for take out, nonetheless) it's taken 45+ minutes after ordering to get the food- and that is without any other incoming orders or anything- which is fine if you're prepared for that. but man is the food great!!!!!!