• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Home-made Mozzarella

thdad

I recently got hold of some citric acid and rennet tablets to try my hand at making fresh mozzarella cheese at home. I followed the internet posted intructions and was able to get the curd set. I followed the instructions to microwave the curd for 30 seconds and knead it and microwave it again and knead it until the cheese starts to stretch. However, the cheese never stretched and broke off after just stretching a little bit. The texture was grainy and not pliant.

Is the microwaving technique the culprit here? Am I better off using the standard hot salt water bath in melting the curds until they start stretching?

Also, what do I do with the whey in order to make ricotta?

Thanks!

could be too much rennet and or heating the milk up too quick.

Its probably a good idea not to use the microwave for making cheese - it is easier to regulate a regular stove top.

For ricotta: strain the whey - add a half of a cup of milk (optional) - give it a mix and slowly heat the whey up - while it is heating up don't touch it, mix it, or move it. Slowly you will see the ricotta come to the top - don't let it boil - just almost boil .

Shut off the heat and about 5 minutes later skim off the ricotta.

I recently got hold of some citric acid and rennet tablets to try my hand at making fresh mozzarella cheese at home.  I followed the internet posted intructions and was able to get the curd set.  I followed the instructions to microwave the curd for 30 seconds and knead it and microwave it again and knead it until the cheese starts to stretch.  However, the cheese never stretched and broke off after just stretching a little bit.  The texture was grainy and not pliant.

Is the microwaving technique the culprit here?  Am I better off using the standard hot salt water bath in melting the curds until they start stretching?

Also, what do I do with the whey in order to make ricotta?

Thanks!

i had to laugh when i read your post. i got the same kit a couple of summers ago with the aim of writing a story about making mozzarella at home. i had about the same amount of luck you did, most of the time. it was probably one of the most frustrating cooking experiences i've had in a long time. one out of three batches would turn out great. then when i tried to replicate what i had just done, i'd get another disaster. and this was all done with a story deadline staring me in the face. in the end--literally 4 or 5 gallons of milk later-- i wound up subbing another topic.

when i started researching how to REALLY make mozzarella at home, i found that it is a far more complicated process than citric acid and rennet. and as for all of those delis that advertise "homemade mozzarella"? most of them buy already made curd and then just stretch it (not a bad thing, but not the same as homemade).

I bought the ingredients from an internet site called New England Cheesemaker or something. Next time I'll try stretching the curd by heating them up in salted water. Although the texture was off by a bit, the taste was similar to the store-bought cow's milk fresh mozzarella.

Maybe if I had a water buffalo in my backyard...

i had to laugh when i read your post. i got the same kit a couple of summers ago with the aim of writing a story about making mozzarella at home. i had about the same amount of luck you did, most of the time. it was probably one of the most frustrating cooking experiences i've had in a long time. one out of three batches would turn out great. then when i tried to replicate what i had just done, i'd get another disaster. and this was all done with a story deadline staring me in the face. in the end--literally 4 or 5 gallons of milk later-- i wound up subbing another topic.

when i started researching how to REALLY make mozzarella at home, i found that it is a far more complicated process than citric acid and rennet. and as for all of those delis that advertise "homemade mozzarella"? most of them buy already made curd and then just stretch it (not a bad thing, but not the same as homemade).

Maybe if I had a water buffalo in my backyard...

Step 1. Milk your water buffalo ... is a daunting enough prospect to dissuade me! :blink:

I "made" mozzarella from curd purchased from the now defunct Egg Farm Dairy in NY, and one thing I found was that the water had to be really hot. So hot it was painful to put my hands into! :shock:

SB (the cheese was really good though :smile: )

Temperature control is very critical when it comes to home making curd for cheese.

That is why most home made cheeses fail.

The easiest way to assure sucess is to purchase prepared curd from companies such as http://www.goldenagecheese.com/_wsn/page4.html

They offer a more comprehensive kit than New England Cheese.

However, I have used the New England Cheesemaking kit with fair success.

The biggest problem I had was getting rid of the vinegar smell.

Other than that, the mozzarella came out good.

Edited by Old Timer (log)

First it's a lot easier to purchase the curd.

You need really hot water with a boat load of salt. You stretch the cheese into and then the easy way to go is to put it into plastic wrap and spin it. You will end up with a ball that is tightly packed.

Never trust a skinny chef