• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Candies and Goodies

aguynamedrobert

Hey Everyone,

Are you guys speaking of Nougat or Nougatine? I alway make nougat with egg whites and it ends up soft and chewy...Nougatine(the way I have been tought) is a hard candy similar to your recipe...I was wondering which you guys were talking...sorry to jump in but I was just curious...I was wondering if it was called different things in different area's.

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Hey Everyone,

Are you guys speaking of Nougat or Nougatine?  I alway make nougat with egg whites and it ends up soft and chewy...Nougatine(the way I have been tought) is a hard candy similar to your recipe...I was wondering which you guys were talking...sorry to jump in but I was just curious...I was wondering if it was called different things in different area's.

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Robert,

They are playing with the soft and chewy egg white nougat from the confectionary course.. This is the homemade snickers bar. There is a link in the nougat section somewhere to the nice nutty nougat that I usually make.

Well, after reading and re-reading the snickers bar recipe I just have to try it myself. I know a few Snicker-bar lovers who'd be very pleased :o). Now my question is if anyone can give me some insight on the shelf life of these (chocolate coated) bars? I made the almond-pistacchio nougat before, coated with milk chocolate, and I couldn't taste a difference at least three weeks after I made them. I'm hoping the snickers bar recipe will do the same for me?

Well, after reading and re-reading the snickers bar recipe I just have to try it myself. I know a few Snicker-bar lovers who'd be very pleased :o). Now my question is if anyone can give me some insight on the shelf life of these (chocolate coated) bars? I made the almond-pistacchio nougat before, coated with milk chocolate, and I couldn't taste a difference at least three weeks after I made them. I'm hoping the snickers bar recipe will do the same for me?

The life span is limited by the peanuts, if you start with a peanut that tastes nice and fresh, these babies would likely taste fine for months. There is enough sugar in there to prevent mold or bacterial growth. Drying and stale peanuts are your only issues.

The life span is limited by the peanuts, if you start with a peanut that tastes nice and fresh, these babies would likely taste fine for months. There is enough sugar in there to prevent mold or bacterial growth. Drying and stale peanuts are your only issues.

Believe me, unless you hoard them, storage will not be a problem. I've not been able to keep them longer than a single day, unless I hide them. When I made them last week, I gave the crew each a single bar (and friends) and had enough to throw one into lunches for school. I had to hide them (where they never go, the laundry room) and sneak 2 out each morning. That has been the longest (5 days) I've ever been able to keep them. I've made 4 batches since Christmas and the others were gone in 24. I hate to see what happens when I get the hang of the chocolate dipping..if they turn out looking as good as they taste I'll have to hang out a shingle. (I'll send you royalties Kerry!)

• 9 months later...

Alright everyone...The Holiday baking season is upon us! I want to hear what recipes everyone is going to bust out to wow their friends and family this season. So don't be shy! Come on and let us have it...What recipe are you going to pull off for the Holidays ahead????

Happy Baking...

Alright everyone...The Holiday baking season is upon us!  I want to hear what recipes everyone is going to bust out to wow their friends and family this season.  So don't be shy! Come on and let us have it...What recipe are you going to pull off for the Holidays ahead????

Happy Baking...

I have just started perusing my cookbooks for inspiration -- no lists yet! I will definitely be making Dorie Greenspan's cranberry lime galette again, and I hope to make some entremet (French multi-layered cakes) this year. Macarons for sure. Still musing.......

It's getting close to Christmas again, and I swear, if I get another jar of apple butter or some chocolate-dipped pretzels as a gift again, I'll resign from the kitchen.

I love making homemade liqueurs and confittures, candies, pastry, etc., and I'd love to hear about your new and unusual takes on Christmas gift-giving, holiday sweets and meals, etc.

Tradition is special, but let's try and spice things up a bit this year!

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

• 2 weeks later...

The threads go by so quickly, I thought I'd bump this one (instead of the dessert thread) with my early contribution: Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies from Cook's Illustrated.

gallery_53129_4592_6295.jpg

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite is a coconut snowball, i make a coconut sheet cake and some pastry cream then take a round scoop and put a little pastry cream in it, then some cake for the base, then freeze it to set it, then roll in macaroon coconut and sprinkle with a little edible glitter

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

It's getting close to Christmas again, and I swear, if I get another jar of apple butter or some chocolate-dipped pretzels as a gift again, I'll resign from the kitchen.

I love making homemade liqueurs and confittures, candies, pastry, etc., and I'd love to hear about your new and unusual takes on Christmas gift-giving, holiday sweets and meals, etc.

Tradition is special, but let's try and spice things up a bit this year!

If I have the time and energy, I'd like to christen my new tree ornament-shaped cookie cutters and do very elaborate, ornate piped decor on them. Wrapped individually as gifts, I think they'll be a bit special.

I'm also thinking homemade dulche de leche in pretty little jars.

I had to take a bit of a break after Thankgiving, whew...

but now I am back in the kitchen...

I am making gingerbread ornaments this weekend.

Homemade marshmellows, fudge, double chocolate chip cookies, jam thumbprints, biscotti - chocolate dipped, are all getting made to give away probably the weekend after this weekend.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I am making cookie dough in advance , because now is chocolate making like crazy,then when I have filled all my orders I will start roll and cut.

I am making Martha Stwart ( sp) lime meltaway ( I made lemon ) and Chocolate Mocha shorthbread type.I think I am going to make also , mint marshmallow dipped in dark chocolate ,caramel chocolate popcorn and maybe something italian to keep the tradition, like papassini cookies.Probably if I have anything left ,some chocolate form my Xmas production.

Have fun everyone!

Vanessa

I think I'm reffering to the old days when people gave away baked goods as gifts. Ha! That doesn't mesh well with now a days. How is your holiday shopping coming a long ladies? Do you still plan on giving away baked goodies for Christmas gifts?

I think I'm reffering to the old days when people gave away baked goods as gifts. Ha! That doesn't mesh well with now a days. How is your holiday shopping coming a long ladies? Do you still plan on giving away baked goodies for Christmas gifts?

I think goodies can be the perfect gift, especially for people with a lot of possessions, and those who live in smaller spaces. Once consumed, they leave no trace (unless they were packaged in a great tin or whatever), and they show the time and love you expended to make them. Just be aware of any dietary or other health restrictions.

I think goodies can be the perfect gift, especially for people with a lot of possessions, and those who live in smaller spaces. Once consumed, they leave no trace (unless they were packaged in a great tin or whatever), and they show the time and love you expended to make them. Just be aware of any dietary or other health restrictions.

Baked goods can be a good present to give to a family or group of people too. My aunt used to make rocky road fudge. It was really good. She travels a lot now so she doesn't have that time to bake like she used to. :( Now she practices gift card giving. I'm sure it's easiest for her since shes on the road a lot.