• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Holiday Candies and Goodies

aguynamedrobert

It's those incredibly enticing tearings I make. Pictured here in post 7. Resistance is futile. I made sure I did not have too many leftover because I cannot stop eating it. Not to mention the apple strudel.

I'm fasting until next December :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I enjoyed , experimenting with almond toffee and tasting ( till I can came out with a toffee like Enstrom's one , that I really really love ), the traditional little cold season snak Muddy Buddies :laugh: I love those little bugger.And One new thing I tryed and I really really like Rugelach,that was yummy.

gallery_44494_2801_18370.jpg

gallery_44494_2801_7156.jpg

Vanessa

I made Kerry Beal's homemade snickers bars from the confections(ers?) 101 class. I'd post the link, but it's not letting me. I guess I'm going to have to learn something new first thing this year. I know it's probably a simple thing, but I've clicked, then right clicked, and 'it' keeps telling me to put in the url. I'm trying, really.

Back to the snickers..I could not keep the kids out of them. EVERYONE thought they were better than the real deal. They've been after me to make more, but I really need to get this family off the junk food for a few weeks. I'll devise a way to make heart shaped one's for Valentines. I cannot tell you how good these things were. You have got to try them. Trust me.

To anyone else who has made them, tell me how you did your peanuts. Did you roast first? I decided to start w/raw, then roast and peel. The next batch I decided to just buy the darned things in the jar, roasted and lightly salted but didn't get to make another batch because the peanuts got eaten out of the jar before I could get to it. I think the lightly salted peanuts would add to it. I like salty/sweet combinations. But I really wonder if it would improve on the initial recipe. I know it would cut down some work for me though..

Robert, this was not a good baking year for me. A more evil and yet more fun topic would be, what horrible thing did you have to eat in a social situation?

Really bad sugar cookie cutouts would rate high for me, but tough fudge is a close second.

This might be better, even, however, than the plates of cookies that remained uncovered, unoffered, from my sister-in-law's table.

Except that I've tasted the contents before, and covered is a good place for them.

:hmmm:

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I made Kerry Beal's homemade snickers bars from the confections(ers?) 101 class. I'd post the link, but it's not letting me. I guess I'm going to have to learn something new first thing this year. I know it's probably a simple thing, but I've clicked, then right clicked, and 'it' keeps telling me to put in the url. I'm trying, really.

So when you click on your picture that's already been downloaded into your gallery, and your picture is full size on the screen, there's a little phrase under there that says, "click here for url". It might not even be all on one line. But find it under your photo there and click on that. Then a box pops up with the bashful url --be sure you copy it carefully to your clipboard --then you can run over here to the IMG dooey ^^^ up there. Click on that, paste your url and close it and away you go.

This year it was gingerbread macarons (I posted a picture in the macaron thread).

Last year, ischl tarts were the big hit.

I'm going to add one more (even though I made them after New Year's): Bouchon's TKO/Oreo recipe. Rich, chocolately cookies sandwiched with a white chocolate ganache.

if anyone has the conversion from grams to cups in the Homemade Snickers Bar recipe...would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Joni, I'm going to make some this weekend and I'll jot down the measurements for you when I'm done. I need to do that for the college kid's girlfriend anyway, she does not have a scale and I'm not inclined to lend out mine.

I'm going to go w/the lightly salted/roasted peanuts to see if how it changes things up so I can get the best result or a good result with the easiest route. I'll let you know.

Patty

aguynamedrobert

My aunt made some incredible Russian Tea Cookies!!
Sound very interesting! I've never heard about it :rolleyes:

Sararwelch Martha Stewart's Rocky Ledge bars looks very yummy!

Desiderio I am ready to eat monitor with your experiment :raz:

I've made some very simple sweets (but very delicious) - almonds, marzipan and chocolate covering! Yum!

gallery_42184_3598_26522.jpg

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

I made some Jack Daniels pecans. They tasted very well indeed.

gallery_42210_4095_61454.jpg

Wow they look so pretty too, toasted & tasty but still juicy. My roasted pecans go from from raw to scorched so easy. Now sometimes I park it at overdone. :rolleyes: But is the recipe posted perchance?? Wonder if you could make them with splenda?

But what did you do with the sunflower-y puffy things???

Those are very pretty too.

Alright now that Christmas and New Years have past....

What was everyone's favorite Confection, Goodie, Chocolate, or any Sweet Item that they tasted?

I put a few new treats in my holiday goodie baskets this year. Blueberry-ginger cookies and blackcurrant marshmallows were big hits. My personal favorite flavor-wise were the coconut-caramel truffles.

Best looking goodies were the oreos. Took some regular Oreos, dipped in white chocolate flavored with peppermint oil, then hand painted with wreaths, jingle bells, poinsettias, and candy canes. Quite attractive if I say so myself. But did I think to get a picture before they were all grabbed up? Of course not. :angry:

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Thanks, Patty...will look forward to receiving the measurements!

Joni

Joni, we made these last weekend. The college girls decided to cheat so we only made the nougat from scratch.

I cannot do math anymore, and neither can they (after a bottle of wine) so if someone wants to bring this down to a lowest common denomenator...be my guest.

Nougat: with common measures

1/2 plus 1/8 cup of water

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 cup peanut butter

You have the directions http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=92495

The caramel came from brach's.

The store bought caramel did fine, for a shortcut.

We used roasted unsalted peanuts (planters) ( instead of raw, then roasting then getting the paper off). Another short cut. All in all, the nougat only takes minutes to make, and with the shortcuts you're looking at just minutes in actual 'work'. The chocolate coating is a pain, and as soon as I figure out how to dip milk chocolate successfully I will share. In the meantime, they're fairly ugly. However they taste wonderful, and everyone loves them. I may make another batch today, and if I do, I'll make the caramel. I'm also wanting to make them with lightly salted roasted peanuts. I think that might put them over the edge a bit.

Kerry is correct about the rice paper. In this nougat recipe they are not necessary, and mine tend to pull off anyway. since the nougat is crumbly, press it well into a greased pan, Use a very sharp knife to cut the bars too.

I wonder if I added mycryo to the chocolate it would thin it out for a more even coat???

Thanks, Patty...will look forward to receiving the measurements!

Joni

Joni, we made these last weekend. The college girls decided to cheat so we only made the nougat from scratch.

I cannot do math anymore, and neither can they (after a bottle of wine) so if someone wants to bring this down to a lowest common denomenator...be my guest.

Nougat: with common measures

1/2 plus 1/8 cup of water

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/2 cup peanut butter

You have the directions http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=92495

The caramel came from brach's.

The store bought caramel did fine, for a shortcut.

We used roasted unsalted peanuts (planters) ( instead of raw, then roasting then getting the paper off). Another short cut. All in all, the nougat only takes minutes to make, and with the shortcuts you're looking at just minutes in actual 'work'. The chocolate coating is a pain, and as soon as I figure out how to dip milk chocolate successfully I will share. In the meantime, they're fairly ugly. However they taste wonderful, and everyone loves them. I may make another batch today, and if I do, I'll make the caramel. I'm also wanting to make them with lightly salted roasted peanuts. I think that might put them over the edge a bit.

Kerry is correct about the rice paper. In this nougat recipe they are not necessary, and mine tend to pull off anyway. since the nougat is crumbly, press it well into a greased pan, Use a very sharp knife to cut the bars too.

I wonder if I added mycryo to the chocolate it would thin it out for a more even coat???

You may find that just heating your chocolate a degree or so higher might thin it out sufficiently to dip if it is already in temper. After it has been in temper for a while you can push milk chocolate up to about 32.5 C with out losing temper.