• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Cakes?

dvs

I agree about cooking shrimp twice... it tends to be too rubbery for human consumption (at least this human's.) But... you could make takoyaki if you have a suitable pan (I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been experimenting with things other than octopus for them.) Or, like I did a couple of weeks ago, you could make shrimp rangoon... easy, but yummy!

I made some shrimp/fish cakes a couple of weeks ago but from raw shrimp and fish. I prepared them like crab cakes and pan fried. I would agree shrimp would get pretty rubbery if cooked a second time. You could make a shrimp salad or I would just eat them up in the next couple of days. A very low calorie high protein snack to nosh on.

chop up the shrimp very fine

soak some dry bread in milk - and then squeeze out the excess milk

( 2/3 shrimp - 1/3 milk soaked bread)

salt pepper, parsley, an egg ...

and then make them into balls - fry - thats it.

not rubbery at all.

Make a seafood gumbo throw the peeled shrimp in last just heat through. Here in the south we also use pre cooked crab meat in gumbo. Fresh might be best but I reheat gumbo a day or two later & find the shrimp have more flavor. Did forget to mention to use Audoulli.

Here's a good recipe I don't use okra only file` powder

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/seafood-gumbo.html