• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Library Thing: Tools To Catalog Collections

Jon Tseng

My latest fascination...

The Library Thing... a dead easy way to catalog and compare your book collections.

Of obvious applicability to those with burgeoning cookbook collections - this is mine: http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?ta...ery&view=jtseng

Extremely easy to use and surprisingly addictive.

Enjoy

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

The perfect addition to this would be a barcode reader.  Just scan the barcode and add the book to your list.

You mean one of THESE? :biggrin:

Perfect, so this means you don't need any additional software to interpret the barcodes?

Jon have you got the barcode scanner? Does it work ok?

Looks like a good site! Will add mine soon.

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

I am finding that I can get most of my books entered pretty quickly by typing in the ISBN.

Only my older stuff is taking longer and some items have had to go on manually.

I just wish I could be more consistent with my tags, I would never make a librarian.

I reached the free book limit and had to subscribe - opted for the $25 dollars for life subscription so I am hoping the web site has a healthy life ahead of it.

It is making me think about how I physically store my books but that is another thread.

• 2 months later...

Jus spent the last 2 hours doing my list which is here

Got to the maximum, and will probably pay the life fee and do the rest.

Paul

ETA - Have now paid the $25

Edited by Pweaver1984 (log)

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper