• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Historic Cookbooks

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone.

I have tidied up my list of freely available historic cookbooks, checked all links, and thought that some of you may be interested.

It is at <a href="http://www.mydatabus.com/public/TheOldFoodie/z/Online_Historic_Cookbooks3.pdf">Online_Historic_Cookbooks3.pdf</a>

I do want some feedback please - there are bound to be errors, and if you have any to add it would be especially welcome. I'll keep you up-to-date with any changes.

If any of you would prefer the Excel spreadsheet from which the pdf was derived, just pm or email me and I'll send.

[edited to ask about feedback - I hit the post button too soon - must be that New Year Champagne!]

Janet

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Thanks everyone, I hoped you'd like it and find it useful and interesting.

There are already some updates pending - perhaps at the weekend when I have time to add them.

I'll keep you informed of changes, and if you have any to suggest, please let me know.

Janet

Happy Feasting

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

Thank you Janet

I have been searching for a copy of a cookbook for a recipe my mother used to make Christmas cake and I think it is among the listings. My family thanks you also. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Hello everyone.

I have added to this list - more in French from the Gallica site - no doubt there are more there that I haven't identified - and the Advertising cookbooks from the Duke University Digital Scriptorium.

The location is the same

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/TheOldFood..._Cookbooks3.pdf

The advertising books can be seen directly at

http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/dynaweb/eaa/cookbooks/

lots of goodies there - several Jell-O books from the 20's, several from the Lydia Pinkham company, one about Smoked Salt. There is one lone English one the Be-Ro cookbook - wonderful. The first things I ever baked were from a tatty old copy that had belonged to my grandmother.

I wont add any more to the list for the foreseeable future - unless some fantastic pre-1800 sites come up.

Have fun.

Happy Feasting

Thank you so much for your time and effort in producing this list, and for being so generous as to share it.

I am absolutely stunned - that file has been downloaded nearly 500 times! I thought only a small handful of people might be interested.

There is clearly more interest (or curiosity anyway) about food history than I thought.

I am delighted!

Happy Feasting

• 1 year later...

Hi Janet,

I used the link from this thread in E-Gullet and downloaded a 60 byte PDF file that was unreadable.

Having visited your blog page recently, I went there and found the working link.

This was the one that worked:

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/TheOldFood...cCookbooks3.pdf

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Hi Janet,

I used the link from this thread in E-Gullet and downloaded a 60 byte PDF file that was unreadable.

Having visited your blog page recently, I went there and found the working link.

This was the one that worked:

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/TheOldFood...cCookbooks3.pdf

Hello nickrey

I had to reload that page at some stage, and the old link on eGullet is now defunct.

The list has been considerably updated since then - I must get around to putting up a new version. If you want the basic Excel spreadsheet from which the pdf was derived, just pm me and I will send - it is easier to adapt it to your own purposes.

As soon as I have cleaned up the very messy Version 4 (too many dead links, new links, and duplicates), I will post to the blog and to here.

Happy Feasting