• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michy's, Miami

markk

I ate at Michy's again recently, and although it seems to be getting more expensive (maybe I'm eating more), the food was great. There was the sweetbreads scallopini, which I don't think I've seen before, and the duck confit with lardon, frissee, and poached quail eggs, which, while traditional, was fresh, bright, and flavorful. Although the chef was not in the kitchen (this was on a Friday night), the food was definitely up to the high standards she has set. For a glossy photo, and the full article, go to Miami SunPost

The wine list still has some bargains, as well.

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

• 2 months later...

Memorial Day 2008 was the occasion for my first summer trip to Miami this year, which included a week of extremely memorable dinners at Michy's. Some highlights:

Asparagus with Summer Truffles:

gallery_11181_4845_91823.jpg

Tuna Carpaccio with apples and foie gras:

gallery_11181_4845_21885.jpg

Crispy Pork Belly with Sake Braised Clams, Bok Choy and Summer Truffles:

gallery_11181_4845_5968.jpg

Papardelle "Carbonara" with peas, crispy pancetta, and oven roasted tomatoes:

gallery_11181_4845_41248.jpg

Fennel-Dusted Sweetbreads with Bacon Braised Fennel and Kumquat Brown Butter:

gallery_11181_4845_19821.jpg

Sweetbreads with Anchovy and Capers:

gallery_11181_4845_49371.jpg

Duck Confit, with miniature Frisee Salad, Lardons, Roast Fingerlings, Mustard Nage, and Quail Egg:

gallery_11181_4845_69120.jpg

Heads-on Madagascar Shrimp:

gallery_11181_4845_73314.jpg

Risotto with Summer Truffles:

gallery_11181_4845_16765.jpg

Veal skirt steak with wild mushrooms, ramps, and a cherry-balsamic glaze:

gallery_11181_4845_8031.jpg

Steak Rossini:

gallery_11181_4845_20326.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Must head south!  Thanks Mark, the photos were wonderful and I see many things that I order in a heartbeat.

The menu changes every few days - not totally, but things rotate off and get replaced so that it's never static, and some of those things were daily "specials" - but I've never been disappointed. Things that I had been looking forward to are sometimes no longer, but for example if one sweetbread dish goes away, an equally delicious one takes its place, etc, etc.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

I just got around to dealing with the photos from my July 4 trip to Miami, and thought I'd post photos of my Michy's meals. I'm dieting, so I stuck to seafood the whole trip, and the chef was nice enough to oblige me with dishes that were free of butter and cream and low in oil (though extremely delicious, I must admit):

Mixed Ceviche, Popcorn, corn and sweet potatoes:

gallery_11181_4845_19168.jpg

Scallop Carpaccio, kumquat ponzu, avocadoes, Shishito peppers filled with scallop mousse:

gallery_11181_4845_14702.jpg

Roast Dorade, stir fried bok choy and radishes, fig-ginger vinaigrette (two views):

gallery_11181_4845_69250.jpg

gallery_11181_4845_80448.jpg

Seared Amberjack, Kale with toasted garlic and ricotta salata, Orange mojo:

gallery_11181_4845_98263.jpg

Sauteed Skate Wing, sunchoke purée, mushroom escabeche, candied cippoline:

gallery_11181_4845_95649.jpg

Sock Eye Salmon, white garlic-almond sauce, cucumber-grape salad, reserved sherry vinaigrette:

gallery_11181_4845_96223.jpg

As always, here you can find My Complete Page of Michy's Food Photos

• 2 months later...

I was in the area for a night and had the chance to stop by for dinner. Lucky for me i was with three other people as eager to try as much as I was. So, in all, we had 16 different dishes between us.

Our meal consisted of:

first courses-

*Watercress salad W/ tarragon, Grapes, Goats' cheese, shallots, and balsamic vinaigrette.

This was delicious, perfectly dressed, bitter until you had a grape along bringing it all together.

*Beef Carpaccio W/ Kimchee Vegetables, Galbi Mayo

This dish was unbelievable. The perfect textural contrast with the vegetables and the richness of the mayo worked wonders with the spiciness of the vegetables as well.

Goes well with a Kirin Ichiban

*Peruvian Style Ceviche

The best ceviche I've ever had. Everything was perfectly firm, but not chewy, and not too much acid, which I find in alot of ceviches.

*Steak Frites (my friend ordered three main courses)

Perfect med-rare, best bearnaise Ive ever had.

Second courses-

*Gnocchi " Lasagna" W/ Bolognese, creamy parmesan, melting buffalo mozzarella

Again, the best gnocchi and bolognese ive had. Creamy delicious cheeses reminded me of freshly baked extra-cheese pizza.

*White Gazpacho, Marcona Alomonds, Grapes, and Cucumbers

one of my favorites all night. Great presentation, great flavor, great texture, great dish.

*Veal Bone Marrow

Pretty traditional presentation. Parsley, breadcrumbs, and two thick slices of toast.

Not my favorite. There wasn't much marrow and it was salty, but the texture of the bit that i did have was delicious.

*Shrimp Pasta, Sauteed head-on shrimp, Garlic, Lemon, Hand cut pasta, seafood nage.

Great shrimp heads. I didnt have any of the meat, the pasta was a bit hard to eat, it had clumped together, the sauce was delicious.

*Duck Confit, Frisee salad, Lardons, Roast Fingerlings, Mustard Nage, Quail egg.

Rich, Flavorful, very good confit.

*Fennel Dusted Sweetbreads, Bacon braised fennel, citrus brown butter

I had never had sweetbreads until now, I imagine these were the best you can get. Rich, smooth, flavorful. The fennel really tied it all together though.

Third Courses-

* Softshell Crab

Ive had this a number of different times and each was either fishy, slimy, poorly breaded, or lacking any kind of meat but this was not this case here. It was crunchy, fresh, firm, and very meaty.

* Snapper Francaise, Boniato Mash, Mojo beurre Blanc

Excellently cooked fish, delicious beurre blanc, tasty mash

*Crispy pork belly, Sweet Chili Glaze, Kolhrabi Slaw

Rich and delicious as pork belly almost always is. The slaw was less a slaw than a few slices of marinated kolhrabi. Good dish. Not my favorite.

*Short Ribs

I loved these, but I have had short ribs a number of times and this wasn't all that much better. It was good for sure, but it had no defining qualities from other preparations.

Dessert-

*Bread pudding

very different from what I consider bread pudding, more custard than anything. I've never been a big fan of the flavor of egg yolk and this was no different. It was good but not my preference.

* Chocolate cake w/ strawberry, sherry sauce, almond ice cream.

Great dish, perfectly cooked, runny insides, nicely ripened strawberries.

* 40 Year old Tawny Port

If you even think you like port, buy this! It was phenomenal, so rich, so smooth. I believe that i could have had the aroma alone for dessert and been satisfied.

Over all I loved this place, very cool atmosphere, great staff, excellent food. I think though that they over look alot of the small things that could make it above and beyond itself.for instance, the bread was boring and dry and the butter seemed like your regular butter tabs. If your in the area, hell if your even an hour away, make a trip. It will be well worth it.

I wasnt sure before this meal but have decided now that I really want to work at this place, it is to me the perfect place, not stuffy, not too casual, and most importantly the food is unbelievable.

• 4 months later...

Hit Michy's again for two dinners last week. Still very enjoyable and the food maintains a high standard. Service and sommelier great as always.

Highlights:

Carpaccio with kimchee vegetables - loved by everyone at the table, should have gotten a whole.

Charcuterie - Serrano ham one night, speck the next. Served with cheese, fig marmelade and grapes. Simple and good.

Foie Gras en brick - Foie was wrapped in something (phyllo?), crisp on the outside and it kept the liver from getting runny. Garnished with cherry syrup and whole cherries, to die for.

Oysters - the name escapes me, from Boston. Medium sized, briny, delicious with apple mignonette. Ordered a second half dozen.

Skate wing with brown butter and capers - highlight for me, others found it two fishy/salty. They're allowed to be wrong.

Good goods:

Pasta Carbonara, Gnocchi lasagna, Ceviche, whole poussin.

Lesser light:

Arugula salad with braised rabbit - A little bland, particularly the rabbit had not much flavor.

Still a great time. A little disappointed at the repeat dishes from previous visits only because we like to try new things, but this is a nit pick.

If you like Alsace wine and feel like splurging, they have a 2004 Boxler Brand Cru Riesling that was fantastic.

Final thoughts: They've just opened a new tapas type place in Miami (block west of Biscayne and 40th) and are getting ready to open a fish restaurant in Palm Beach. Will be interesting to see how all this goes. I think if anyone can expand and maintain quality, theses guys probably can, but a tall order for anyone.

Edited by DTBarton (log)

Carpaccio with kimchee vegetables - loved by everyone at the table, should have gotten a whole.

You know I'm a jaded eater when I have to ask: carpaccio of what?

Brick dough is something akin to phyllo.

Any sweets?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

You know I'm a jaded eater when I have to ask: carpaccio of what?

Brick dough is something akin to phyllo.

Any sweets?

Didn't specify as it was, in fact, beef. Great dish.

Certainly had the mouth feel of phyllo, have not encountered brick dough before.

We had the Baked Alaska and Bread pudding on my birthday, good as always, and I like the non-lumberjack portions. Didn't mention due to repetition. Tried a red velvet cupcake special the second night, thoughtfully served with a small glass of milk. Fun and fine, not up to the level of the Alaska or Bread pudding.

Final thoughts:  They've just opened a new tapas type place in Miami (block west of Biscayne and 40th) and are getting ready to open a fish restaurant in Palm Beach.  Will be interesting to see how all this goes.  I think if anyone can expand and maintain quality, theses guys probably can, but a tall order for anyone.

Here's scoop on her new tapas place, Sra. Martinez:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=120406

I've now been 3 times and they're absolutely firing on all cylinders. Our first visit was just their 2nd night open and you'd never have known it. MB was in-house the first couple times but not the most recent, curious if she's pulled back more and returned to Michy's and is letting Chef Berenice de Arujo run the show at Sra. M.

MB has had multiple outlets before, but previously it's been more of the "design the menu and leave" style (i.e., Social Miami, now closed).

Oustanding is too modest a word to describe my recent experience at Michy's.

Last Wednesday, I reserved a table for four at 8:30pm. After a drink at the very attractive bar (beer and wine only at present), we were seated and soon began a culinary tour through Michelle's wonderful arsenal of small plates.

Before the food descriptions, it must be noted what a wonderful hostess Michelle is. And it spite of Michael Ruhlman's statements to the contrary in the NY Times, she spends most of her time in the kitchen cooking, chopping, prepping and making sure each dish leaves the kitchen just the way she wants.

We began with three table dishes - fresh white anchovies, an array of oysters and seared foie gras. Each was better than the next. The anchovies tasted salty, rich and displayed the texture only fresh whites can deliver. Foie was perfectly seared and the oysters tasted of the sea.

While I can't remember what everyone had on their own (each of us had two dishes), I will give some of the highlights. The Truffled Polenta and Poached Egg was a dish whose flavor lingered forever. the Carbonara My Way was (according to the recipient) "awesome" - al dente pasta with a sauce so tasty and light it was like eating on Gossamer Wing.

A special for the evening was Seared Scallop in an Oxtail Sauce. This dish was inspired. The buttery taste of the scallop mixed with the richness of the oxtail created layers of intricate flavors.

The Duck Confit was perfect, the Sweetbread and Veal Cheek Ravioli was a dish that tested the palate and satisfied the taste buds all at once. Michelle explained to us her freezer was broken (because of some contruction work outside, there were some electrical problems in the kitchen that night) and she couldn't make her favorite dish - Blue Cheese and Jamon Croquetas.

I guess that gives me an excuse to fly back to Miami one night.

We had a bottle of Rex Hill Pinot Noir with dinner and some dessert wine afterward. The bill came to just over $300 with tax and tip - a bargain by any standard for high end dining. But at Michy's it's probably the deal of Southern Florida.

I don't think I'm exagerating when I say this is Miami's best. Michelle Bernstein and her husband have succeeded in creating a chic, lively atmosphere in a setting that's trendy, yet friendly, cool yet warm and sophisticated yet down to earth.

But it's the food that counts and Michy counts up to a perfect ten.

Realizing we'd be overlapping in Miami for one night, me and the missus got together with Rich and his missus for dinner at Michy's last week. We really loved the place and the 1/2 orders are definitely the way to go. Four of us getting 9 half plates more than sufficed and the sweetbreads order was excellent. The truffled polenta w/egg (see above post by Rich) was still (or back?) on the menu so we got 2 half orders of that and it was a major winner.

Got to admit though... after a week in Miami, eating around, I thought the most outstanding place was Talula. We wound up going twice. But I'd go back to Michy's easily as well. Very nice.

Edited by Steve R. (log)

Steve R - that's great to hear about Talula. Alas, I debated over whether I should visit Talula or sardinia enoteca and ended up at the latter. I can't say I regret my decision. But I will have to put Talula on my list for next time.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Steve R - that's great to hear about Talula.  Alas, I debated over whether I should visit Talula or sardinia enoteca and ended up at the latter.  I can't say I regret my decision.  But I will have to put Talula on my list for next time.

Good... I'd like to hear your take on it. Just remember when you read my opinions that I'm not generally an upper high end guy. For NYC, I'd say that Talula was a Hearth level place....approx. $100/person all in, with a $55 bottle of California Pinot Noir (hey, I like the fruity stuff... Decadence '05).

Steve R - that's great to hear about Talula.  Alas, I debated over whether I should visit Talula or sardinia enoteca and ended up at the latter.  I can't say I regret my decision.  But I will have to put Talula on my list for next time.

Good... I'd like to hear your take on it. Just remember when you read my opinions that I'm not generally an upper high end guy. For NYC, I'd say that Talula was a Hearth level place....approx. $100/person all in, with a $55 bottle of California Pinot Noir (hey, I like the fruity stuff... Decadence '05).

I'm not sure how I should take your comment. What are you saying about me? :unsure:

:raz:

To be sure, good food comes in all shapes, sizes, and prices. I'm still haunted by that Roast Pork Sandwich I had at Reading Terminal Market last year. It was six and one-half dollars.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

UE - Talula is one of my favorites. It was a regular rotation place for us for quite some time, and only fell out b/c their wine list got too steep (which on my last visit they were starting to remedy). Andrea Curto has a knack for flavor combinations, hubby Frank Randazzo does good, gutsier meat-and-potatoes type stuff, and the kitchen executes it all very well. The chef de cuisine, Kyle (?), is hip to the bleeding edge of things - last time I was there, they were playing with marrow bones and banana, inspired by a thread from "Ideas in Food" that I'd read the week prior (the roasted marrow bones were delicious - smoked salt an excellent addition - the salad w/ pickled bananas, I'm still undecided on). Worth a visit.

• 3 months later...

Michy’s was tasty but very safe. Too safe, I think. I thought the food was cute but lacked a certain excitement. I think I can best sum it up as comfort food made by a chef rather than comfort food for a chef. This is likely a reflection of a more conservative dining public, but I feel like you can have more fun in semi-affordable, chef-driven restaurants in NYC.

One thing that I thought was weird was that a couple things were underseasoned. A couple friends ordered the churrasco and both pieces of meat were undersalted. I really liked the sweetness with the short rib dish, but the carrots were rather bland. Didn’t taste like particularly high-qualty carrots nor did they have enough seasoning. Desserts also felt like throwaways. Was able to find a solid ‘02 rioja for $55 though, so that was a nice surprise. Favorite dish of the night was the ceviche with all its accompaniments. That was a fun one.

I think Michy’s succeeds in pleasing a lot of different people. There’s not much challenging on the menu, and everything is packaged and sold in a cute, easy-to-swallow (pardon the pun) fashion. Sardinia, my other big meal in Miami, was much the opposite, and I think I liked the lesser-known Italian restaurant more because of this.