• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michy's, Miami

markk

I mentioned this on the Miami thread, but having just eaten three dinners there in nine days, I think that this place is worth its own thread.

Michy's (I just learned) was picked as one of Gourmet Mag's Top 50 Restaurants in the US this year, and the chef, Michelle Bernstein, is quite well known (neither of these had been known to me).

But the food is just spectacular. Most dishes come in half and full portions, the idea being that you can order several halves and create a tasting menu for yourself. But what most people do is order many dishes and share them around, for a genuine pig-out.

Interesting to note that the food is so good, that when you're on the banquette, the people on both sides of you (no matter when, no matter how many times the tables turn), will turn to you and insist that you have what they're having, and get into a discussion of the food. (This only happens, and happens a lot, in restaurants where the food is exceptional, I've found.) In three dinners we had serious food conversations with about 7 sets of people.

On to the food. Here are the various dishes we lost our minds over:

Blue Cheese and Jamon Croquetas; Fig Marmalade

Truffled Polenta; Poached Egg, Crispy Bacon

Crispy Duck Confit; Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mustard Aioli

Crispy Sweetbreads and Veal Cheek Ravioli; English Pea Puree, Veal Jus

Fettucine Carbonara "My Way"' Crispy Pancetta, English Peas, St. Andre Cheese

Spaghettini Pasta; Tiny, Diced Fresh Seafood, Roast Tomatoes, Seafood Nage

Short Ribs Falling Off the Bone; Creamy Mashed Potatoes

There are more things on the menu, a total of 24 in fact, but we just kept having these over and over again.

One of the reviews I had read, the Miami New Times, I think - a very trusted source for great restaurants, said that Michy's was like a one-star bistro in France. I would add "at the very least!"

The wine list is spectacular, too. Well and intelligently chosen, and very carefully so.

And the desserts are pretty fabulous too. We only had the Apple and Fig Tarte Tatin with Zabaglione Ice Cream and Caramel sauce with Fresh Thyme and Sea Salt, because we simply couldn't get enough of it.

If you're going to be in Miami, and you love great food, this is a must.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 3 weeks later...
markk - was this your best/favorite dinner of the three you had in miami?  everything sounds great!

bea

Well, remember that everything comes in half-portions for a "mix and match" event (although I'd call it a pig-out). We had the Sweetbreads with Veal-Cheek Ravioli, the Fettucine Carbonara, the Duck Confit, and the Short Ribs each of the three times, (because we had them the first time and couldn't not keep having them) and kept experimenting with the other things around them. I wish we'd had the Polenta sooner than our last time so we could have had it more times. I guess those were our favorites, but that's only of the things we tried. There was nothing we tried that we wouldn't gladly have again, though. Just need more visits there to try everything. We are definitely planning on going there every night the next time we're in Miami.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 2 weeks later...

Oustanding is too modest a word to describe my recent experience at Michy's.

Last Wednesday, I reserved a table for four at 8:30pm. After a drink at the very attractive bar (beer and wine only at present), we were seated and soon began a culinary tour through Michelle's wonderful arsenal of small plates.

Before the food descriptions, it must be noted what a wonderful hostess Michelle is. And it spite of Michael Ruhlman's statements to the contrary in the NY Times, she spends most of her time in the kitchen cooking, chopping, prepping and making sure each dish leaves the kitchen just the way she wants.

We began with three table dishes - fresh white anchovies, an array of oysters and seared foie gras. Each was better than the next. The anchovies tasted salty, rich and displayed the texture only fresh whites can deliver. Foie was perfectly seared and the oysters tasted of the sea.

While I can't remember what everyone had on their own (each of us had two dishes), I will give some of the highlights. The Truffled Polenta and Poached Egg was a dish whose flavor lingered forever. the Carbonara My Way was (according to the recipient) "awesome" - al dente pasta with a sauce so tasty and light it was like eating on Gossamer Wing.

A special for the evening was Seared Scallop in an Oxtail Sauce. This dish was inspired. The buttery taste of the scallop mixed with the richness of the oxtail created layers of intricate flavors.

The Duck Confit was perfect, the Sweetbread and Veal Cheek Ravioli was a dish that tested the palate and satisfied the taste buds all at once. Michelle explained to us her freezer was broken (because of some contruction work outside, there were some electrical problems in the kitchen that night) and she couldn't make her favorite dish - Blue Cheese and Jamon Croquetas.

I guess that gives me an excuse to fly back to Miami one night.

We had a bottle of Rex Hill Pinot Noir with dinner and some dessert wine afterward. The bill came to just over $300 with tax and tip - a bargain by any standard for high end dining. But at Michy's it's probably the deal of Southern Florida.

I don't think I'm exagerating when I say this is Miami's best. Michelle Bernstein and her husband have succeeded in creating a chic, lively atmosphere in a setting that's trendy, yet friendly, cool yet warm and sophisticated yet down to earth.

But it's the food that counts and Michy counts up to a perfect ten.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Count me as another New Yorker who loved his trip to Michy's. My wife and I went there in October and thought to food was excellent, our best meal of the trip (with a close second being a trip to Versailles). The food is top-notch and the atmosphere manages to be classy and whimsical at the same time.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I'm another New Yorker who'll be flying down to Miami, at the end of February. What are the prices like, and how long in advance should I make reservations?

Michy's Menu

That'll answer your price question. It's not a very expensive restaurant. But it is very popular. It certainly couldn't hurt to make your reservations now.

They've very recently gone on Open Table too.

Add another positive recomendation. We took my aunt and uncle for dinner on 28 Jan. When they first read the menu , they were worried they wouldn't have anything to eat. Afterward, my uncle raved to all his neighbors about the short ribs! My husband and I wished we had the time to go back. :wub:

We also had wonderful scallops, the polenta, the duck, the sweetbreads,and a lamb T-bone as well as some other dishes, four excellent desserts, well-priced wine, dessert wine and excellent service.

Our waiter asked how I heard of the restaurant-Egullet, of course. :biggrin:

By the way the Wall Street Journal talks about Michy's in its SuperBowl food coverage.

Thank yoy Markk

Add another positive voice, nyokie6, maybe we saw you there, we went on January 28th also.

I got a reservation for 2 at 7:00 PM on Open table.com on the Wednesday before.

More kudos for the polenta with pancetta and egg. The polenta alone was very garlicky, but this dish was meant to be mixed, it was great when all stirred together.

The duck confit was also wonderful as was the steak/frites.

The only mediocre dish was the conch fixed escargot style. Definitely overpowered with garlic (and I like garlic!).

The pear tart was delicious and we had one of the better bottles of Rioja I've ever enjoyed. It was a 2001 Remellari and it matched very nicely with the food.

• 3 weeks later...

Me too! Best part by far was a special of toro-wrapped raw oysters. My friend and I were licking our lips.

Croquetas, polenta, ravioli were all fantastic. We were very pleased with the fois gras torchon, but it didn't blow our minds away -- really though, no complaints.

And the baked alaska, which my friend and I have never seen on a menu, was TDF, TDF, TDF.

Sigh. Get me back to Miami. Greatness!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the recommendation, all. This thread led me to make Michy's the only serious food destination on a recent trip to Miami and it was a pretty resounding success. After a difficult decision making process given the tempting menu, I finally settled on:

- Peruvian Style Ceviche

- Turks and Caicos Conch, Escargot Style, Garlic, Parsley, Butter

- Crispy Sweetbreads, Braised Pork Jowls, Jason’s BBQ Sauce, Fava Beans

- Lamb T-Bone, Eggplant-Harissa Terrine, Fruit & Nut Couscous

- Pear-Apple Tarte Tatin, Thin, Crispy and Warm, Sabayon Ice Cream, Sea Salted Thyme Caramel Sauce

I wasn't a huge fan of the tarte tatin and the conch dish was more a curiosity than something I'd return to; however, the ceviche was excellent and both the sweetbreads and lamb were rocking. Full details of the dining experience (too long to post here) along with some lo-res pics of the dishes can be found at:

Miami Dining: Michy's.

It's definitely on the must revisit list for my next trip to Miami.

Edited by David McDuff (log)

I personally have never cared for conch - at all. Eaten it every way I have seen it prepared.

Just don't like it, but that's only my taste.

The ceviche there is awesome though. And I didn't think I liked sweetbreads before I visited Michy's.

I loved Michy's. I too had the sweetbreads. Just wish there was more of them. The ceviche was good but very basic. My wife had the grouper which she loved. We both thought the bread pudding was to die for. I found the food above par and the prices reasonable

Yes, sort of, but you can't address it directly, you have to go here, choose "Restaurants", and then choose it from the list:

http://www.restaurantelite.com/restaurants.html

• 1 month later...

I'm in Miami, and wanted to report that Michy's is going strong, and that I'll soon have lots of photos to post.

The stupendous dishes we've had so far:

Beet Salad (Roasted and Raw);

Blue Cheese, Shredded Duck,and Jamon Croquetas;

Truffled Polenta with Poached Egg and Crispy Bacon;

House Duck Confit;

Crispy Sweetbreads with Braised Pork Jowls;

Orechiette Pasta with duck sausage, Loxahatchee Greens, Tomatoes, Chiles, Pecorino Romano, and Herbed Ricotta;

Linguine Carbonara with St. Andre Cheese and crispy Pancetta;

"Shell Free" Summer Clam Linguine - Assorted clams, fennel, white wine, garlic, creme fraiche;

Short Ribs Falling off the Bone;

"Table-Top Picnic" (Crispy fried organic farm raised young chicken, Cole Slaw, Gravy"

and a special, Soft Shell Crab, which was served on a fabulous salad of arugula, tomato, and onion, with watermelon as well!

And as I was composing this message, my cell phone rang, and it was Michy's calling to tell me that the construction in front of the restaurant on US1 had just caused the power to go out, and they had no choice but to close the restaurant and call all of tonight's remaining reservations to cancel them. They were saving me softshell crabs again for tonight, so now I'm really upset - and it's Saturday night, and I don't have a place to eat!

That polenta is unbelievable. I was staying with a friend who works at Michy's recently, and he brought some to his place for me to try. I had it for breakfast and it was so rich and filling I could only eat about a third of it--and I wake up hungry!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to the restaurant due to babysitting disaster. Next time...

Last night's Michy's dinner consisted of a truly spectacular sauteed foie gras with a corn pancake and savoury maple syrup, a softshell crab preparation that wasn't as spectacular as the previous one, and a sauteed skate special with artichoke stew that really was out of this world.

They were closed tonight, but I'l be back tomorrow for one last meal there.

Well, I'm back from ten nights in Miami, and 7 dinners at Michy's, and here are a few photos to start, and I'll be posting the rest shortly...

Bear in mind that most things come in full and half portions so that you can create your own tasting menu, and/or get things for the table and just pig out... though at our table there's no sharing of Foie Gras, for sure...

Seared Foie Gras with Corn Pancake, Roasted Corn, and Savoury Maple Syrup:

gallery_11181_4845_98409.jpg

Another night's Foie Gras:

gallery_11181_4845_33297.jpg

A not-on-the menu special treat of stewed chicken feet:

gallery_11181_4845_41280.jpg

Crispy Sweetbreads with Braised Pork Jowls, Jason's BBQ Sauce, and Fava Beans:

gallery_11181_4845_100101.jpg

Orechiette Pasta with Duck Sausage, Loxahatchee Greens, Tomatoes, Chiles, Pecorino Romano, and Herbed Ricotta:

gallery_11181_4845_33995.jpg

A mind-boggling Bouillabaisse:

gallery_11181_4845_41340.jpg

Three plates on the table at once - "Blue cheese, shredded duck, and Jamon Croquettas", sharing the table with “Carbonara My Way with Peas, St. Andre Cheese, and Crispy Pancetta”, and "Beet Salad with Spanish Blue Espuma, Candied Walnuts, and Citrus Vinaigrette":

gallery_11181_4845_30876.jpg

Soft Shell Crabs on a Salad of Arugula, Red Onion, Tomatoes, and Watermelon:

gallery_11181_4845_83599.jpg

Sauteed Skate with Capers over an Artichoke Stew:

gallery_11181_4845_1431.jpg

There are many dishes to go, and I'll post them shortly.

With the exception of the chicken feet which Michelle made as a special treat for us (story follows immediately), everything shown above is either a menu item or was a daily special.

We had hoped to have more meals there, but one night an emergency power failure forced them to close and call all their customers not to come, and then two days later was their regular closing, Monday. So we extended our stay to have some more meals there, not realizing (because we were too stupid to ask) that they were one of the many restaurants closing for July 4. So on our final night there Michelle, who is a genuine sweetheart, took pity on us and went out of her way to make a few special things for us to make up for the missed meals. Those photos are coming.

Here are a few more regular menu items:

Crispy Duck Confit, Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mustard Aioli:

gallery_11181_4845_76385.jpg

"Shell Free" Summer Clam Linguine; Assorted Clams, Fennel, White Wine, Garlic, Crème Fraîche, Fresh Clam Broth:

gallery_11181_4845_4665.jpg

and of course the famous Truffled Polenta with Poached Egg and Crispy Bacon:

gallery_11181_4845_85066.jpg

That truffled polenta is justifiably famous.

Can you tell us more about the Clam Linguine? The pasta looks perfect, and the sauce looks like a very "clean" sort of fresh taste. Not too heavy?

Yes, the pasta was perfect, and the dish was clean and fresh and definitely not heavy. But then, that's Michelle's specialty.

I don't want to build the place up too much for people who haven't been there (though there's clearly a consensus on the thread that people who have been there love it), but after so many meals, and so many dishes there on several trips, I can pretty safely say for myself that part of her genius is the invention of the dishes, the combinations of ingredients, and the other part is that they're always executed perfectly - there are no misses in execution, no dishes that fall short of the mark, and that's what makes it such a treat to keep returning to.