• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkish Salad

Is there even a dish called "Turkish Salad" made in Turkey?

I had lunch at Zaytoons at Smith Street in Brooklyn today. They served a delicious Turkish Salad. More like a spicy tomato sauce that is not too smooth. I actually love that dish and go back for it often. It has a very strong flavoring of cumin in it.

How is Turkish Salad usually prepared? Is there an authentic recipe?

A favorite restaurant where you eat it?

A cookbook from which you have used the recipe?

I have had it at other restaurants where they have served a chopped salad with onions, cucumber and lots of tomatoes tossed in chile and lemon juice and sometimes even chopped parsley.

But the Zaytoon sauce like salad was very different and really very tasty. It makes me wonder which one is really more authentic.

Not that it matters, for in the end.. what tastes good is good enough.. I am curious if one could be called something else. :rolleyes:

I have had it at other restaurants where they have served a chopped salad with onions, cucumber and lots of tomatoes tossed in chile and lemon juice and sometimes even chopped parsley.

But the Zaytoon sauce like salad was very different and really very tasty.  It makes me wonder which one is really more authentic.

Not that it matters, for in the end.. what tastes good is good enough.. I am curious if one could be called something else.   :rolleyes:

I think you're referring to two different dishes. Turkish shepherds salad (the onion, cucumber, tomato dish) and "turkish salad", the chunky saucelike salad, often served alongside hummus and tahini.

The following link contains a reasonable recipe for turkish salad from Ruth Sirkis' book (the Israeli parallel of 'the joy of cooking')

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/MEDITERR..._-_pareve_.html

M

I think you're referring to two different dishes. Turkish shepherds salad (the onion, cucumber, tomato dish) and "turkish salad", the chunky saucelike salad, often served alongside hummus and tahini.

The following link contains a reasonable recipe for turkish salad from Ruth Sirkis' book (the Israeli parallel of 'the joy of cooking')

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/MEDITERR..._-_pareve_.html

Thanks Orik!

:biggrin:

The saucelike thing is called cacik (sp?), it is like an indian Raita. Coban salata has a lot more than onion,cucumber,tomato - A staple servings in kebabsis along with mezes.

anil

The saucelike thing is called cacik (sp?), it is like an indian Raita. Coban salata has a lot more than onion,cucumber,tomato - A staple servings in kebabsis along with mezes.

I was always under the impression that cacik was a yogurt and cucumber salad/sauce. Isn't that the case? The turkish salad I think Suvir was referring to has no yoghurt in it (see the recipe).

M

I was always under the impression that cacik was a yogurt and cucumber salad/sauce. Isn't that the case? The turkish salad I think Suvir was referring to has no yoghurt in it (see the recipe).

You are correct - Cacik does indeed have what you say.

anil