• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grouper

Global

Fish markets in Chinatown (e.g., Pender Market and the one at the corner of Gore and Keefer) and even T&Ts often do stock live "groupers" and can be had at around $9/lb straight from the tank. Whether these are "real" groupers is up for debate, but they look and taste somewhat similar to the ones we often treasure in Asia. I think true groupers, which are coral fishes, are not found close to Canadian waters. On very rare occasions, T&T at Keefer Place would have true groupers flown in from Asia and for sale at exorbitant prices (like $20/lb).

Frozen ones abound, but they are hardly worth the trouble, really.

We have a real issue here in South Florida concerning menu labels, and actual fish breeds. There is just not that much snapper in the world.

Too much Basa (catfish) is passed off as ocean fish. Makes me sad.

Hi, this is somewhat off topic but relevant i think. Sidestripe shrimp sold at Granville Island with alot of eggs. Ethical purcahase or not???? I really think personally that shrimp should not be sold in such state on eating quality alone. I think that shellfish purveyors should also take a look at their practices too. Fuck crabs are eating each other at Granville Island .

You're a tad mixed up Sean-and I quote

"Generalized life cycle of the prawn:Prawn are potandrous hermaphrodites, spending the early part of life cycle as males and the later part as females"

Click Here for The Rest of the Story

EDIT-I forgot to add that Prawn Caviar is delicious and a long time personal favourite. :wub:

As to the OP-I've had Grouper in a number of different Caribbean countries-it ain't nuttin' special.

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Nope Sam, all imperfectly male i can assure you. Link didnt work. I have cooked them in such a state & have not been impressed. I agree prawn eggs are really good, just hope that plenty more is available.

Link is back up now-it's all about their life cycle-essentially a harvester can't avoid taking some gravid Prawns.

Since I never cook Prawns shell on the presence of Caviar has never been an issue when cooking I suppose the eggs could be a bit of a PITA with some presentations.

BTW-BC Prawn stocks are well managed and in great shape for the most part.

Now's the time to get 'em! :wub: