• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

National Team Pastry Championship

chiantiglace

It appears we will have a very interesting theme for this years competition. I am glad they didn't decide to go with this for the world championship though, that would be a little odd.

After reading over the the list of competitors, I see some interesting new features. First of all, there is a all female team which should be kind of neat. Also it appears Susan Notter has joined for Team Danks, I am looking forward to see what she puts together. Also Frederick Monti and Stephane Treand have joined up with Laurent Branlard to form his team. I think that will be a force to be reckoned with.

But I do think Team Ruskell and Team Coston are going to be the most dominate in the group.

There also appears to be several underdogs in this competition and the majority of the competitors are instructors at various colleges and institutes.

I think this one will be entertaining, I might have to skip some school just to check it out in person.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

This should be fun. :smile:

The theme of the competition is Country Music Song Titles.  This theme complements the new location as the resort is home to the legendary Grand Ole Opry, a performance venue that has showcased numerous country music stars.
The Amoretti 2005 National Pastry Team Championship was a 13-hour, two-day competition, that was held on July 6 and 7, 2005. Teams are required to make the following elements: a chocolate showpiece, a sugar showpiece, three identical entremets (cakes), three identical entremets glace (frozen desserts), fourteen identical plated desserts, and an assortment of petits gateaux and bonbons.

I know that Country Music has expanded in many ways, both musically and culturally, but still.

One of the charms of Country Music are the repetitive themes (as with the Blues but shaded differently) of the situations where "my wife left me, my dog died, my pickup truck won't start and my girlfriend's fiance is heading for me with his shotgun" sort of things.

:laugh: Love it.

Can't wait to see what the teams imagine and display with shimmering sugar work, deep chocolate creations, and fondant colorations. (!) Fun.

Hmmm. How would one create a display of Hank Williams "Your Cheatin' Heart"? (My mind is running to some rather awful looking things, though I adore the song. :blink: )

A dessert based on "A Ring of Fire" would be a wonderful homage to June Carter and Johnny Cash:

Love is a burnin' thing,

An' it makes a firy ring.

Brought from wild desire

I fell into a ring of fire...

The taste of love is sweet...

On the other hand, not to condone the murder of one's spouse, The Dixie Chicks might inspire a version of "Goodbye Earl", though the all-female team might be wise to cater to Nashville's mainstream tastes with: Gretchen Wilson.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath