• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calico Kitchen, Totowa

Nutley Resident

While far from Fine Dining, this was a staple of good cooking (imho) and closed 12/21/06.

From the NJ.com restaurant forum, owner Ron posted:

"We would like to thank All who have dined with us in the past. After 41 years at the same location in Totowa we have closed our doors for business as of December 21, 2006. Thanks again, it was a long run.PS Anyone interested in purchasing our collection of original Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post Magazine Covers (272 of them all framed and matted) or the Budweiser Clydesdal rotating Carousel can contact me by email atrpi47@optonline.net or on my cell at 973-216-4420

Thanks Again

Ron and Marlene"

I will miss some of their items.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, this place was around before I was.  I worked there briefly years ago.  I'm surprised at this news!  It's one of those places that you took for granted that it would always be around.  I wonder why they closed.

Well, Ron, the owner, wrote this after I asked him why the sudden decision: "It really wasn't that sudden. 41 years was a long run. Now Marlene and I have to go job hunting. We want to work for someone, give them a honest days work for a fair pay, and not have to worry about the job once you go home." To me, it was way too sudden. There was no talk of closing to customers. I just hope that the staff was not "padlocked" out on December 21st! I will miss their comfort food and the Rockwell art on the walls.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident