• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to take a friend with a broken heart?

barolo

OK, I need suggestions for a restaurant to a take a broken-hearted friend for dinner.

Somewhere with good food, a comfortable atmosphere and that is quiet enough for me to convince her that she is better off without him, without having to shout. Somewhere in the downtown area is preferable.

Cheers,

Anne

Damn! Lousy time of year for a broken heart. Been there, done that, almost wrote a book ...

I'll second Bacchus Lounge and add the Lounge at Le Soleil as well (although it was about 3 years ago when I was last there)

If 12th & Cambie isn't too far, Figmint has a nice lounge and the food is quite good. Can't couch for the msuic volume tho' ...

A.

I recall that both Bacchus and FS were quite the meat markets (and not sure if that is what she wants to see right now), at least the last times I was there? Perhaps things have changed. What about the bars at the Pan Pacific/Hotel Vancouver or Fairmout Waterfront? I think that you can get food from the main restaurant's at each in the bars. I was staying at the Pan Pacific last week and it was nice. Tis a crappy time of year for the same. :sad:

officially left egullet....

My heart was broken just before Christmas. Restaurants have been the last thing on my mind as they just remind me of some of the good times we shared. :sad: Sorry, I don't know what to contribute. I would go more casual in case she feels the same.

Edited by VanNoodles (log)

How about Tapastree?

Also, a meat coma is always good for a broken heart- how about Hys for Cheese Toast and steak? Or the window seat at Cru?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

How about Beyond? I have been several times recently and the food and service were excellent and the wine list is quite reasonable with a good selection.

Burgoo is not in downtown so that would disqualify it by location. While the food is definitely of the comfort variety the atmosphere wouldn't help my heart if it was broken.

Cheers,

Karole

Having walked several friends through broken hearts / busted marriages / identity crises, I would argue that food is not as important as alcohol and proximity to the sufferer's pad. So, look for a dark bar that is busy enough that no one will notice sobs and whispers, and try to make it within staggering distance of the sufferer's place so you can get her home. That should narrow it down a lot.

Paul B

Having walked several friends  through broken hearts / busted marriages / identity crises, I would argue that food is not as important as alcohol and proximity to the sufferer's pad.  So, look for a dark bar that is busy enough that no one will notice sobs and whispers, and try to make it within staggering distance of the sufferer's place so you can get her home.  That should narrow it down a lot.

Man, I totally agree on that.

Also, a meat coma is always good for a broken heart- how about Hys for Cheese Toast and steak?

Thanks all for your thoughtful suggestions. MFK Fisher agrees with annastee:

"S is for Sad...and for the mysterious appetite that often surges in us when our hearts seem about to break and our lives seem too bleakly empty...The truth is that most bereaved souls crave nourishment more tangible than prayers: they want a steak. What is more, they need a steak." - from "An Alphabet for Gourmets" by M.F.K. Fisher

Steak would have been perfect for me, but not for my vegetarian friend. We ended up at O'Douls, comfortingly dark, cosy and not at all trendy or populated with too many shiny, happy people. We had a very good duck breast with gorgonzola risotto, spinach and ricotta ravioli with a delicious chanterelle sauce along with copious glasses of wine. We were treated very well and given the quiet table in the back corner I requested. As Paul B suggested, this location allowed for a relatively short stumble home.

Cheers,

Anne