• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Sweet Life: Desserts from Chanterelle"

JBN

Made the Meyer Lemon Curd Tart using her Sweet Tart Shell recipe and decorating it with Candied Meyer Lemon Zest.

gallery_47075_3984_20881.jpg

The dough was a bit of a bear to work with; very soft and sticky. Even on my cold marble living room table it took three tries to get it into the pan after it was rolled out. The dough uses confectioners sugar instead of granulated and the butter and sugar are creamed together for 8 minutes. The result is a crisp, but tender, cookie-like texture that ends up being well worth the trouble.

The tart was just outstanding. Even after a very substantial meal all my guests had seconds and then hinted, not at all subtly, for doggie bags.

Eagerly looking forward to trying more recipes from the book. If this one was any indication, there should be lots of winners here.

Edited by JBN (log)

This book might be my favorite cookbook purchase this year. There are so many recipes I look forward to trying.

The Spiced Sour Cream Apple Cake is delicious! I've made it three times in the last month. The spicing is perfect (maybe it's the allspice) and the turbinado sugar adds a wonderful crunch.

• 8 months later...
I'm a little behind the curve and just bought this book.  Has anyone had any more recent successes?  Any advice on what I should try first?

gallery_47954_3474_65270.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_59236.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_27351.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_13420.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_116473.jpg

I have been working my way through all the cookie recipes. These are:

Thin and delicate peanut brittle

Oatmeal cookies with milk chocolate and golden raisins

Walnut sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling

Cinnamon currant walnut rugelach

I have dough for the chocolate cherry cookies in the frige, and i'm going to make the chocolate chip ones too. They are all delicious, though the rugelach were difficult to shape, and i'd recommend rolling the dough into a circle and cutting it into wedges to roll the cookies individually.

I love the oatmeal ones in particular.

gallery_47954_3474_65270.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_27351.jpg

gallery_47954_3474_13420.jpg

I have been working my way through all the cookie recipes. These are:

Thin and delicate peanut brittle

Oatmeal cookies with milk chocolate and golden raisins

Walnut sandwich cookies with cream cheese filling

Cinnamon currant walnut rugelach

Beautiful, beautiful photos, Lisa!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Made the Meyer Lemon Curd Tart using her Sweet Tart Shell recipe and decorating it with Candied Meyer Lemon Zest.

gallery_47075_3984_20881.jpg

The dough was a bit of a bear to work with; very soft and sticky. Even on my cold marble living room table it took three tries to get it into the pan after it was rolled out.  The dough uses confectioners sugar instead of granulated and the butter and sugar are creamed together for 8 minutes. The result is a crisp, but tender, cookie-like texture that ends up being well worth the trouble.

The tart was just outstanding. Even after a very substantial meal all my guests had seconds and then hinted, not at all subtly, for doggie bags.

Eagerly looking forward to trying more recipes from the book. If this one was any indication, there should be lots of winners here.

Maybe just press it into the pan next time? Beautiful pie.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the banana cream last night and served it with chocolate cookies that I had on hand rather than the recommended toffee. Delicious -- like banana pudding but entirely smooth (it gets pressed through a sieve) and more elegant. I think it would be wonderful in her recommended chocolate cookie crust with a whipped cream topping.

I made the banana cream last night and served it with chocolate cookies that I had on hand rather than the recommended toffee. Delicious -- like banana pudding but entirely smooth (it gets pressed through a sieve) and more elegant. I think it would be wonderful in her recommended chocolate cookie crust with a whipped cream topping.

Mukki, I've had my eye on that recipe too! I looooove banana pudding.

I made the spiced apple sour cream cake over the weekend. I love the crunchy top!! It's perfect for brunch (I think it's better for brunch, though, than for an after-dinner dessert).

I made the spiced apple sour cream cake over the weekend.  I love the crunchy top!!  It's perfect for brunch (I think it's better for brunch, though, than for an after-dinner dessert).

I LOVE that cake -- we eat it for breakfast with applesauce!

I baked 1/2 a recipe of the Date Cake with Toffee Sauce which is basically a sticky toffee pudding. The cake wasn't too sweet (to compensate for the toffee sauce) and had a nice texture. I didn't notice the impact of the espresso powder and Grand Marnier. I've found that this type of cake is mostly about the toffee sauce and Kate's version was better than others I've made -- very buttery and it soaked into the cake nicely. I'd definitely make this again.