• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolates and Confections: ..."

Desiderio

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&v=glance

I was looking for some books to buy and I found this one ,isnt available yet , but you can preorder.

Does anyone knows about this book?

Worth to preorder it and buy it, it looks good .

By the way it ships in March.

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

It seems to be good, especially for the price.

I scrolled down and noticed that Andrew shotts has a chocolate book out as well.

Does anyone have or seen his book? I know he is a good chocolatier and his book may be a good pick-up as well, especially for the price.

Jason

That book looks great! Already told my husband I want it!

Does anyone know about the book that Amazon is trying to sell it with - Making Artisan Chocolates by Andrew Garrison Shotts? Are they worth getting togehter?

I didn't even know that Andrew Shotts had a book out either. I know most of the books as well...is he on the new side?

Either way I think both books look good and I think I will add them to my collection when I get a chance...

Let us know if someone gets it!

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Edited by aguynamedrobert (log)

by the way, chef greweling (instructor of chocolates and confections) is amazing. I have not seen the inside of the book yet, but I am sure it is worth the purchase. And for some reason he doesn't seem to be credited for the book on amazon, atleast not that I saw.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I'm eagerly awaiting my book by Andrew Shotts as well. There are a couple good reviews on it already. I was planning on doing a "work along with me" type thread when I get it. Should be here soon.

http://www.chocolatezoom.com/article.php/M...Chocolates/117/

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 1 month later...

My copy arrived today. I've been cruising through it. So far I think it is going to be excellent for theory.

One really exciting recipe I've seen so far - looks like how to make an aero bar center using your cream siphon. I'll be trying that real soon.

Pam, when you get your copy - start that cook along thread, should be a blast.

Kerry,

did you receive the CIA book?  Amazon is still showing that it is on pre-order and not released, where did you get yours from?

As you can tell,  I am a bit jealous..what a nice weekend present!

I got mine from Amazon Canada. Funny that we should get it before you since it comes from the US in the first place, but looking inside the front cover it says published simultaneously in Canada so perhaps ours got released first. Hey, maybe that means I'll find overstock copies in my cheap bookstore eventually.

Funny, but amazon canada says that it's still not released. The other interesting thing I noticed is that there is an instructors manual available too. I wonder what is in that, it's apparently 136 pages.

I got mine from Amazon Canada. Funny that we should get it before you since it comes from the US in the first place, but looking inside the front cover it says published simultaneously in Canada so perhaps ours got released first. Hey, maybe that means I'll find overstock copies in my cheap bookstore eventually.

I saw the instructors book, seems interesting, but there was no way to order it the site said to check back.

Guess I will just pre-order the regular book and hope it comes early like yours!!

Have you found any recipes your dying to try yet?

I saw the instructors book, seems interesting, but there was no way to order it the site said to check back.

Guess I will just pre-order the regular book and hope it comes early like yours!!

Have you found any recipes your dying to try yet?

One recipe so far - and that is to make a center like an aero bar. Essentially you use your cream siphon to aerate tempered milk chocolate. And the nougat recipes look fabulous. Finally a way to use up all the dried egg white powder I purchased to make macarons.

A awesome chocolates book that I love and I use all the time seems to gone unmentioned around here is Belgian Chocolates by Roger Geerts.  I bought it  about 7 years ago, is seems hard to find now.

I find Geerts very helpful for recipes, but lacking in the theory compared to some other books. It sure has lovely pictures doesn't it?

Just saw this book available at Jessica's biscuit (www.ecookbooks.com) for $39.  Should let more people join the discussion at that price.

THANK YOU! It's even cheaper than Amazon! I'm definitely getting this book along with a few others!

Jessica's Biscuit is great! Not only are the books cheaper than Amazon, it offers free shipping for $25 or more, a free gift for $40 or more (a selection of books, t-shirts, and 1/2 lb coffee-which is what I got) and a free 1 year subscription of magazine for $50 or more (I got Gourmet). Thanks again, Kerry! :wub:

So I've just made the Nougat Montelimiar and the Sleeping Beauties. The nougat is very yummy, it should be set up in the morning and ready for cutting, but the beater tasted good! I used wafer paper for the first time and am unsure as to which side should be used in contact with the nougat: smooth or nubbly?

I haven't dipped the Sleeping Beaties yet, the chocolate nougat is so good, a 1000% improvement on a 3 Muskateers. I'll report again tomorrow, I'm going to make a couple other things and dip everything at once.

So I've just made the Nougat Montelimiar and the Sleeping Beauties. The nougat is very yummy, it should be set up in the morning and ready for cutting, but the beater tasted good! I used wafer paper for the first time and am unsure as to which side should be used in contact with the nougat: smooth or nubbly?

I haven't dipped the Sleeping Beaties yet, the chocolate nougat is so good, a 1000% improvement on a 3 Muskateers. I'll report again tomorrow, I'm going to make a couple other things and dip everything at once.

I usually put nubbly side towards the nougat.

I think we should start a thread on cooking from this book, now that at least 2 of us have a copy.