• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Student in London for the Semester

BryanZ

I have a friend who will be studying at University College London at the University of London for the next semester. To put it briefly, she's looking for all kinds of places to eat convenient to her area of the city.

She comes from the New York area so she's a very experienced diner and eats pretty much anything. All cuisines are fine. Obviously, she's looking for some good local, neighborhood joints that are pretty affordable, but is able to splurge on meals if they're worth it.

Since I'll be spending a week in London with her in March, as much help as possible in assembling a list of solid restaurants, markets, etc would be great. Obviously, there's Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road--we just ate at his new restaurant in New York--the Fat Duck all the way out in Bray, etc, but what else is there that we don't hear about in the media.

Her dorm will be at 36 North Row, at the NW corner of Hyde Park, right next to the Marble Arch tube station. So, again, we're looking for specialty markets of all types, solid gastropubs, a great sandwich shop or creperie, and a few Michelin-starred establishments. Quite the range, I know, but if it's in the area or easy to get to, go wild. The student's budget doesn't necessarily have to be considered explicitly but rather as a means to guide the "vibe" or "feel' of the places she's looking for.

Thank you so much for all your help. Should any of you ever need New York or, umm, North Carolinian suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

As an aside, how might one get to the Fat Duck cheaply and without too much hassle? Taxis seem prohibitively expensive.

As an aside, how might one get to the Fat Duck cheaply and without too much hassle?  Taxis seem prohibitively expensive.

We live near Oxford, so I can't really help with your other questions, but you certainly don't need to get a taxi the whole way from London. To get to the Fat Duck, go to Paddington station (bus, underground) and get a train to Maidenhead, then get a taxi to Bray. The last time we did this the taxi to Bray cost less than a similar journey round here, and you should find that the drivers all know how to get there.

Have fun there - it's not cheap, but it is certainly an unusual experience.

I have a friend who will be studying at University College London at the University of London for the next semester.  To put it briefly, she's looking for all kinds of places to eat convenient to her area of the city.

She comes from the New York area so she's a very experienced diner and eats pretty much anything.  All cuisines are fine.  Obviously, she's looking for some good local, neighborhood joints that are pretty affordable, but is able to splurge on meals if they're worth it.

Since I'll be spending a week in London with her in March, as much help as possible in assembling a list of solid restaurants, markets, etc would be great.  Obviously, there's Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road--we just ate at his new restaurant in New York--the Fat Duck all the way out in Bray, etc, but what else is there that we don't hear about in the media.

Her dorm will be at 36 North Row, at the NW corner of Hyde Park, right next to the Marble Arch tube station.  So, again, we're looking for specialty markets of all types, solid gastropubs, a great sandwich shop or creperie, and a few Michelin-starred establishments.  Quite the range, I know, but if it's in the area or easy to get to, go wild.  The student's budget doesn't necessarily have to be considered explicitly but rather as a means to guide the "vibe" or "feel' of the places she's looking for.

If she's staying in North Row, Gordon Ramsay's Maze on Grosvenor Square, which is only a couple of minutes' walk from her dorm, would make sense for a blowout - not cheap, but a lot cheaper than Royal Hospital Road.

Buy a copy of the "Good Food Guide".

Lots and lots near Marcle Arch - Gavroche, Locatelli etc etc.

Indians like "Porte des Indes" or the Diwani Bel Poori house(vegetarian) is not that far, but you will probabky want to go to New Tayyab

Phoenix Palace or Chinatown for Chinese

Not that far from Notting Hill Gate with the shops in Westbourne Grove, and the Portabello market, but you will want to make the excursion to Borough market.

Fortnum and Mason, Harrods Food Hall, and Harvey Nicks are for tourists although you might like the tea and maccaroons at Laduree at Harrods, and buy some Poilane bread (or even Krispy Kreme donuts) but why not take a train to Paris for the weekend?

Be sure to visit Ottolenghi, St Johns (and St Johns Bread and wine), Lindsey House, Rules for stuff you can't get elsewhere. Take breakfast at Simpsons.

If you chose to visit Cambridge (an hour by train) and Midsummer House, let me know.

Ranoush Juice for fast and delicious Lebanese.

Baker & Spice for pastries and wonderful prepared foods to eat at the communal table or take away. Locations in Chelsea (Denyer St.) Belgravia (Elizabeth St.) and Queen's Park (Salusbury Rd.)

Lisboa Patisserie (on Golborne Road off Portobello Road) for pasteis de nata (Portuguese custard tarts).

Have to second jackal10's recs of both the St Johns and Ottolenghi.

Brady's for fish and chips (in Wandsworth).

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Baker & Spice for pastries and wonderful prepared foods to eat at the communal table or take away.  Locations in Chelsea (Denyer St.) Belgravia (Elizabeth St.) and Queen's Park (Salusbury Rd.)

And about to open a branch in Little Venice (Clifton Road). With Sheepdrove Farm and Daylesford Organic both opening here in the last few months, plus Amoul, Gustoso, the Organic Grocer and Raouls, this is becoming a great place for food shopping (for those with deep pockets). Now all the area needs is a good fishmonger.

maybe this is a silly suggestion if she is sophisticated, but my daughter loved Wagamamma when she was a student in London--the food comes around on conveyer belts--and i remember it being decent--I had a quite good noodle dish there.

Z

maybe this is a silly suggestion if she is sophisticated, but my daughter loved Wagamamma when she was a student  in London--the food comes around on conveyer belts--and i remember it being decent--I had a quite good noodle dish there.

Z

Are you by chance confusing http://wagamama.com/ a chain of noodle houses, with http://www.yosushi.com a chain of conveyor sushi places?

Both good for what they are, but neither "Restaurants of destination", and maybe a little out fo student budget.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. She leaves tonight and will certainly check out everything that everyone has recommended once she gets situated. I think the plan is to go to Maze with her father, who is flying out there with her, on the first night and just take it from there.

Please do keep the recommendations coming. I will be sure she reports back here with feedback. She's really looking forward to finding some unique eats.

If I may suggest one more "type" of place that she'll be looking for, it's somewhere a decent-sized group a students can go for drinks and a decent but cheap meal. I suppose this would be a pub or something, but we're really not familiar with this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Never mind Gordo Walnuts and Dat Fuck, what your friend needs to know is that London boasts the finest Indian restaurants in the world and, living near Marble Arch, she's going to become familiar with the bottom of Edgware Road, which is basically Arabian. kitwilliams mentioned Ranoush, which is all well and good (I prefer Beirut, myself) but it's just a minor link in the mighty Maroush chain, which serves very decent Lebanese food from various outlets (and they even have a deli, almost next door to Ranoush). I can't really recommend any Indian places around there, but I'm sure they exist.

Personally, I think Baker & Spice is the most pretentious and overpriced concept in the known world and cordially detest the place. In fact, stay well away from self-consciously foodie enclaves such as Marylebone High St or Clifton Road altogether. For fish and chips, you don't need to go to Wandsworth when you're living near the Seashell@ Lisson Grove. Drinks wise, students have subsidised bars which are bound to be a lot cheaper than elsewhere in Central London. Busaba - a Thai style version of wagamama - has a branch on Store St, not far from the ULU on Mallet St.

Edited by camp_dick (log)

My boyfriend and I did London on the cheap just over a year ago. We ate at least three picnic lunches of cheese and bread from Neal's Yard- so, so good but you're almost full from sampling before you leave the store.

As another poster has mentioned, Borough Market is a must! Neal's Yard makes THE grilled cheese sandwich there, and there are also good sausage vendors, etc... We were very sorry that we were only able to make it there once.

We were very impressed with Malletti's pizza. They serve incredible square slices and baked pasta dishes. The hilarious owner made fun of us for ordering enough food for 4 people, but drinking diet Cokes. He said it gave us away as Americans.

Monmouth Coffee makes the best latte in very aesthetically pleasing shops. We found their French press coffee a little too bitter, but we couldn't get enough of their lattes. We tried to have one every day.

Yes, Baker and Spice is expensive. We still laugh about paying $20 for two coffees and two croissants. However, it is very good and it provided a welcome respite from our horrid hotel breakfast!

We liked Jenny Lo's enough to eat there twice, but I can't remember much else about it.

I hope your friend enjoys her semester in London. We had a fabulous time!

Just to add that Neal's Yard DON'T make the cheese sandwich. The guy that does used to be based just outside the shop but he has since moved to the main market. That said it is still "THE grilled Cheeses sandwich", Toasted Poilane bread filled with Montgomery cheddar and a leak and onion mix on top. Droooooooool :wub:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

jackal10 said

"Are you by chance confusing http://wagamama.com/ a chain of noodle houses, with http://www.yosushi.com a chain of conveyor sushi places?

Both good for what they are, but neither "Restaurants of destination", and maybe a little out fo student budget."

that's weird, I could have sworn wagamama had a conveyer belt...oh well, I'm positive it had something gimmicky and fun--also, I don't remember it being that expensive--I mean everything in London was expensive, but it was reasonable on that scale as i recall--the cheapest lunch we could find was the sandwiches at Boots!!!

Zoe

I hope your friend enjoys london, and so do you when you visit.

Usual student get together eateries are either Pizza - which your friend as a New Yorker will probably be horrified by, or indian of the neighborhood british kind which will probably at least be a novelty. Students also seem to like bad tex-mex food as well - the sort that comes in a novelty tortilla hat - odd as it usually isn't even that cheap.

Probably won't take long until they are initiated into the dubious delight of the late night donner kebab as well.

I think the Rules suggestion is a good one - definitely different to what you are doing with your Z-Kitchen! You'll be out of the game season though so it will be a little less interesting. Maybe one of the traditional fish restaurants? J Sheekey or Sweetings (lunch only I believe).

Also to be honest once you are in London locality doesn't really matter (Apart from finding a local pub that is) From Marble Arch you can get anywhere fairly quickly.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Bryan -

For nights when money is no object:

Mosimann's

Le Gavroche

By the way, someone told me that Gordon Ramsey used to be a line cook here.

My wife and I were in London for a milestone birthday trip. These two meals were among the best ever.

Bon apetite!

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Toasted Poilane bread filled with Montgomery cheddar and a leak and onion mix on top. Droooooooool :wub:

Mr Picky is wondering about the palatability of the "leak" and onion mix, not to say whose leak it was. :wink:

:laugh: Apologies, I did of course mean Leek. :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Matthew -

Yes, Mosimann's is members only. It depends on where they stay in the city. I approached the concierge at The Berkeley Hotel and he was able to get us a table.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

It's not an issue in NYC either. At least I thought it wasn't.

Anywho.

A quick update on highs:

Selfridge's in general for food and shopping. She plans to explore it in its fullest.

Highlights have included a meal at Maze that was very solid. Also a foie gras club at Harrod's that was supposedly very tasty (and not cheap at 20 pounds--don't know how to make the symbol--for the sandwich alone).

She's been eating a lot of meat pies. I find that very British.

I'll try to get her to post on here, perhaps under my name.

In other news, I've known about Le Gavroche, but it just seems so old-fashioned. I'm not a big fan of stodgy food, and the vibe of that place just seems a bit old. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken. For perspective, someone who I trust very, very much told me that the Fat Duck isn't even all that innovative, and I'm inclined to believe him given my tastes.

It wasn't Lord Michael Lewis by any chance was it? I wouldn't listen to what he has to say :laugh:

Nah, LML would have said the Fat Duck is an evil conspiracy theory by Heston McBlumenthal to sell snail porridge which was actually invented by a spanish chef.

Or words to that effect.

Ah well. There only seems to be a few of us antediluvians left who remember the good old days... ;-)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!