• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ketchup Recipes?

ghost

I have been in the mood for trying to make my own ketchup. Anyone recommend any recipes? I know there are tons available online, but a recommendation would be a good place to start.

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

I have been in the mood for trying to make my own ketchup. Anyone recommend any recipes? I know there are tons available online, but a recommendation would be a good place to start.

tomato ketchup or another kind of ketchup like cranberry?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Post # 29 in this thread on condiments has the recipe for banana ketchup, a recipe given to me by another shopper I met in a local Philipine market.

Post # 34 in the same topic has my recipe for sugar-free ketchup. (I am diabetic.)

Post # 43 is my recipe for mushroom ketchup which is excellent for people who have problems with the higher acid content of tomato ketchup.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just opened a can of my first ever homemade ketchup with a recipe from New Basics. Boy is it good! Even thought I made it, I don't actually have a lot of uses for ketchup--not a big burger and dog eater. But in a side-by-side taste test comparison with some Heinz, it made me wonder how they can call it tomato catsup when there is no tomato flavor in it

I need ideas for using my excellent ketchup. And for using the mushroom ketchup above, which sounds like fun. I made an excellent cocktail sauce by mixing it with sambal oelek, fresh horseradish, and lime.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

We've been making homemade ketchup for years every summer when the wife gets several pecks of Roma tomatoes from the farmer's market. We use the Joy of Cooking recipe (1960's version of JofC). Some whole spices like whole mace were rather hard to find until Penzey's opened in St. Paul.

We can it, and I've given it to people who swore that they wouldn't like any ketchup but Heinz.

All I can say is, they're not saying that anymore!

doc

• 2 years later...
Ketchup. Thats what I like with fries. Anyone that has a good recepie?

I've made Michael Smith's ketchup recipe and liked it. He goes on to say that nutmeg is the key to a good ketchup -- I'm not sure I agree. What I did learn is that it's virtually impossible to replicate Heinz ketchup at home, or a factory hot dog for that matter.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I use this recipe, and I am sorry to say that I don't know where it came from. It may have been from a magazine. I tweak it by changing the sweet ingredients and also by adding a small amount of bbq sauce toward the end. It's great on hamburgers, and I use it to "frost" my meatloaf. No nutmeg in it, and I can't say I miss it, but you never know. And it is not trying to be Heinz. After making my own for several years theI think the commercial stuff tastes anemic.

1 28 oz. can whole Italian plum tomatoes

1 yellow onion, minced

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/3 cup corn syrup or equiv: brown sugar, agave or a little maple syrup

1/4 tsp dry mustard like Colemans

Pinch each (like 1/8 tsp) of the following: allspice, ginger, ground celery seed, cinnamon, ground cloves

salt and pepper

Opt: 1/4 c favorite bbq sauce

Blend tomatoes and onion in an electric blender til smooth, about 30 secs. Combine all ingredients except salt, pepper and bbq sauce in a pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, til reduced to about a cup and a half or to desired thickness, about 45 minutes. Add bbq sauce if desired and cook down another 10 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and cool.

I've never used it for fries as I have never made fries. I don't know if I would like the bbq sauce in it for fries. I like my fries with aioli instead of ketchup.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Thanks. I’ll try them. I have always cautious with nutmeg and two spoonfuls in Micheal Smiths sounds a lot. My idea is to leave it out and be more generous with allspice.

• 1 month later...

BUMPETYBUMP

with BBQ season in full gear, this topic should be more hawt than ever! i have nothing to add but a few good sounding ideas from some real foward thinkers: ideasinfood that actually has their ketchup tutorial on youtube:

using charred onions and cumin sounds pretty hot.

and another cool idea from heston blumenthal - he makes a tomato concentrate using the seeds and the pulp of tomatoes and just reduces it. apparently the seeds and the pulp contains as much as ELEVEN TIMES as much umami flavor as the actual tomato meat! im guessing you have to have like a kilo or something of pure pulp to try this at all so maybe not that easy to try for a home cook but it sounds fascinating.

Thanks. I’ll try them. I have always cautious with nutmeg and two spoonfuls in Micheal Smiths sounds a lot. My idea is to leave it out and be more generous with allspice.

I wasn't fond of nutmeg in ketchup, IMO, it's a bit too 'earthy'.

Allspice on the other hand, is my favorite spice for ketchup. I like to add it to the oil right before I start to caramelize my red onion.

My mother make homemade ketchup and it is far more better then the ketchup which we buy from store. I like this ketchup very much having no other chemical used like in ready made ketchups. I am going to share my great mom's ketchup recipe with you

Ingredients:

1 ½ Kg tomato

1 cup vinegar

1 tbspn red chili powder

1 tspn salt (to taste)

2 cup sugar (to taste)

Cooking Instructions:

Cut the tomato in large pieces and blend it in the blender. Using drainer, drain out the smooth paste of tomato having no skins and seeds. Boil the paste. Add red chili powder, vinegar in it and cook it till sauce become slightly denser. After 10 minutes, add sugar in it and cook for 15 minutes or till sauce become thick according to the density of sauce you want. Ketchup is ready, cool it in the fridge and enjoy it with delicious snacks.

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs