• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Molasses

dreilly

I have a bottle of recently purchased pomegranate molasses in the fridge.  So far I have only made this vinaigrette -- the flavor is outstanding.  I plan to make Paula Wolfert's Muhammara (Red Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses-and-Walnut Dip).    Any ideas for other vegetarian uses, sweets included?

I made a nice rose and pomegranate molasses truffle earlier this year. The recipe is in recipe gullet here.

Use it in a sweet and sour tofu dish- vinegar, molasses, soy sauce, water, corn starch, sugar, etc. I like it with lots of pineapple, sliced carrots and bell peppers.

Include a few tablespoons in a barbeque sauce for grilled tempeh (or frozen, thawed, sliced tofu).

This recipe looks promising. I love chickpeas! Chickpeas with pomegranate molasses

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

This is a wonderful lentil dish. I think I learned about it here on eGullet. Here's the recipe for Musa's Eggplant and Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses

I think when I made it last, I doubled everything except the eggplant because some people in this household aren't as crazy about eggplant. A dish that can be served at any temperature is also very nice to know about.

It's been too long since I last made it. Thanks for reminding me!

jayne

Try tossing a tad into roasted carrots, just sublime!

Make a great side dish by frying off some eggplant and dressing with chopped mint, parsley, EVOO, lemon juice, S&P and some molasses to taste.

I have made a lovely drink by adding some molasses to water with some sugar and lemon juice added.

A salad I have made on occasion: toast off some pepitas and sunflower seeds with a little cumin. Cool and add to a bowl of shredded red cabbage, grated beetroot, chopped red onion, chopped red bell pepper, grated carrots, and some cooked quinoa or brown rice. Dress with mint, orange zest and juice, olive oil, S&P and some pomegranate molasses.

I did a turkey glaze with with it last year and it is wonderful in a walnut sauce ( has that been mentioned already??) Also love it with venison and lamb. :smile:

I've made a great sweet-sour-savoury marinade with the molasses, a little white wine, some Chinese toasted sesame oil and a shake or two of garam masala.

It'd be nice for marinating firm tofu for grilling, or as a glaze on grilled haloumi.

And if thickened slightly and rendered creamy with a spoonful or two of hommus, it's a great dressing or sauce for a salad or a sandwich. :smile:

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

Fried Zucchini with Pomegranate Molasses (Toronto Star article).

Basically, pan fry the sliced zucchini in olive oil, set aside. Make up a "dressing" with the molasses, salt, paprika, cayenne, b. pepper, minced garlic (recipe called for garlic salt), chopped cilantro, and some hot water to dilute. You get about a 1/4 cup of dressing. Pour over zucchini and let it sit for about an hour. I think it would be great with grilled or roasted zucchini. Very, very tasty!!

I have a bottle of recently purchased pomegranate molasses in the fridge.  So far I have only made this vinaigrette -- the flavor is outstanding.  I plan to make Paula Wolfert's Muhammara (Red Pepper-Pomegranate Molasses-and-Walnut Dip).    Any ideas for other vegetarian uses, sweets included?

I am assuming that it is the same as pomegramate syrup, I use it to make bean (egyptian fava or pinto bean) salad along with lemon, garlic, cumin onions, peppers and olive oil. It also makes a great drink with soda water, vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup.

muhummara! walnuts, roasted red peppers, a little dry bread, some olive oil and paprika, s&p and some pomegranate molasses. serve with pitas or flatbread, on grilled fish or chicken. mmmm-muhummara!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

These ribs are one of my favorite ways to cook them:

(from The Rib Book)

Middle Eastern Ribs with Pomegranate Glaze

2 sides pork ribs(I prefer St. Louis cut)

2 tb. white sesame seeds

1 tsp. orange zest for garnish

Glaze

1 cup Pomegranate syrup/molasses

1/4 cup oyster sauce

2 tb. honey

1 tb. ground coriander

2 tsp. red pepper flakes

2 tb. minced ginger

1/4 cup minced green onion

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Remove the membrane from ribs.

Toast sesame seeds and set aside.

Combine glaze ingredients and marinate ribs in this overnight(in a baggie).

These can be grilled or roasted in the oven, which I like best. An oven at 325 for an hour and a half or so should do fine. These will blow your mind!! Serve with Trumps Grenache/Shiraz blend-it don't get no better than that!

(Oh yeah, sprinkle them with the sesame seeds & orange zest, then eat)

Frank in Austin

From Claudia Roden's Middle Eastern cookbook, try the Eggplant Slices with Tomato Sauce and choose the Syrian variation that adds pomegranate molasses to the tomato sauce - terrific.

edited for noun-verb agreement - guess there was too much celebrating last night!

Edited by MicBacchus (log)

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

• 2 years later...

I plan to try the lentil & eggplant dish that Jaynesb recommends upthread...I made a lentil salad recently from Peter Gordon's Salads book, and was amazed how well the pomegranate molasses went with lentils - two well-muscled flavors duking it out there on my plate, I was entranced. The dressing was very simple - Gordon recommends 1 part each of pomegranate molasses, mild vegetable oil, good olive oil, but since I was not using a really great, thick olive oil, I used 1:2 pomegranate molasses and olive oil.

Pomegranate molassses on chicken etc didn't give me that "this dish HAS to be made with pomegranate molasses" feeling - I think it was because the chicken was overwhelmed by the pomegranate, while the lentils were earthy enough to fight back.

I do like a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses in a small glass of water.

• Like 1