• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best knife/tool roll: Sound off please!

MarkIsCooking

Hello all -

It looks like I'm starting culinary school soon. Can you recommend what you think is the best knife/tool roll? [Please give as much detail as you can, online source, style number, why you like one vs. another, etc.]

Thanks!!!!

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/heknca16po.html

I've had this one for a couple of years now, and it's working out great for me. Easy to clean off since it's fake leather on the outside (not cloth or something else that's absorbent). Lots of space to fill up. I think you can find it cheaper elsewhere online (I seem to recall paying about $30ish after shipping), but that's the first one that popped up.

Koobi Kits were all the rage when I was in school last year: www.koobikit.com But after I got mine (about 60ish) the various zippers and such started breaking. They're really well organized and have a lot of pocket, but I had a lot of extra stuff, too, and the koobi couldn't handle it.

Won't the school issue a knife kit to you?

Also -- it's funny to see the one upmanship of knife kits at school and the like. There's kids with briefcase, metal "nuclear football" briefcases, tackle boxes, craftsman tool kits.. If I had infinite resources I would have bought a sniper rifle case for my chef knife and nothing else.

EDIT: I had an old version of this wusthof case ( http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6331 ) and it served me very well.. a good amount of space and very very sturdy for sure.

Edited by turkeybone (log)

Rico

I've yet to find a really GOOD knife roll. I have 6 really fine custom made knives, and I don't want the blades clanging against each other. I have knife guards on the blades, but they're a bit of a pia. Seems like they're designed to cart average knives from place to place, but not for really good quality knives :(

You need to use the knife that your school requests that you use; many knives are job and cuisine specific.

That being said: the knife is a particularly personal choice based on so many factors. But, forged knives are what you want: Wustof-Trident and Messermeister are used by most European cooks, the latter has the best rolls. Japanese knives are coveted as well including Global, Moshino, MAC, Nenox. The best French knife is made by Sabatier (the one with the elephant on the blade). Restaurants usually provide kitchen knives, but most are stamped blades; stamped blades can get very sharp, but they don't hold it long.

Be prepared to spend $$$; knock yourself out: www.knifemerchant.com

• 2 years later...

I am looking to upgrade to a larger knife case, this seems to be the way to go for me being that it has more then enough storage for my knives and tools. Does anyone have one of these? And can you tell me how you like it and if youve had any durability issues.

Thanks

Lane

I am looking to upgrade to a larger knife case, this seems to be the way to go for me being that it has more then enough storage for my knives and tools. Does anyone have one of these? And can you tell me how you like it and if youve had any durability issues.

Thanks

Lane

Was there supposed to be a link in there?

I currently use a Messermeister Suitcase looking thing, tons of room.

They also have a model with wheels and a pull out handle, but that seems a bit over the top.

For the knives I don't bring to work, I have a large toolbox.

Then I also have a decent sized Messermeister knife roll to quickly throw in the car for private functions or just visiting the family.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is invited for, say, Thanksgiving dinner and is put to work.

In those cases, typically, their knives kind of suck, so having my own tools handy is good.

I'm not a big fan of knife rolls for a number of reasons

1) Hygiene. The pockets are hard to keep clean and free of crud

2) Safety. Depending on the style, it can be an elaborate manoevre to extract a knife without geting your fingers near the blade edge. And I'm always concerned that during transport the knives will shift and poke out of the roll.

3) Security. A knife roll is a lot smaller than a tool box, and as such, can be shoved down a pants leg or buried under an arm full of stuff. In other words they are fairly easy to get stolen, and this can happen. Tool boxes are alot bulkier and much harder to steal un noticed, and they can be locked up as well.

On the other hand, if your school issues you one, use it.

P.S. Don't believe they hype about forged vs stamped blades, and don't go and spend a fortune on knives for the first year or so. You will have ample opportunity to see and try other student's/instructor's knives and make some decisions before you part with your cash. Knife theft is very real in school and at the workplace, in this scenerio an inexepesive but good knife is more valuable than a very expensive one.

If you're in an environment where you worry about theft, and want to use a roll, then I'd consider something besides basic black. A lot of the companies make them in colors and patterns. Neon cammouflage and hello kitty are both waiting for you if you're man enough!

For edge protection, I think these edge-mags are great. Easy to use, easy to clean. I've heard the tape eventually wears out, but that should be fixable. If you use any traditional Japanese knives, then the best thing is a wood saya.

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...