• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Delightful Experience

Bill Miller

One of my daughters is attending UT Austin and working at Central Market in the cheese department. Fortunately for me she has a friend (Michael) in wine. He suggested this wine as a gift--she is low on funds as are most in her situation but found enough to buy me this "poor mans Barolo". He knew I was fond of nebbiollo. It was delightful with steak au poivre, pommes anna, and an iceberg wedge with garlic & herb & blue cheese crumbles. I am sending a wonderful Willamette valley pinot --Bella Vida '03-- for them to enjoy. I don't think it is sold at Central Market and should be a real treat. I just wanted to share a wonderful Christmas experience--that's what it's all about.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Sharing is, indeed, what it's all about.

We discovered Gattinara last month in the North End of Boston and just loved it. It was a Traviglini and the bottle has a rather interesting shape, which is supposed to be a woman's back. I think of it as a "baby" Barolo -- thought poor-man's is just as apt a nickname. I found a couple of bottles this past weekend, and look forward to drinking them soon.