• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice needed for after dinner drinks

bgut1

As our Christmas present to our staff (approx 15) we are taking them on a "Night in the City" in February. We have the restaurant and entertainment but need a place to go afterwards for a few drinks. I mentioned Pegu to a bunch of my employees and showed them the website but they were generally not impressed. By way of background, we did the touristy bar at the top of the Marquis last year. Any other ideas? Thanks. BTW, I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic.

It sounds like Pegu is maybe just not exciting-sounding enough to your employees; understandable since it's a pretty sedate place. Maybe the Flatiron Lounge (19th Street btw 5th and 6th Avenues?). It has a high quality of cocktail-making, but with a more bustling vibe than Pegu. Another option might be Chumley's on Bedford St. in the West Village; its hideaway-speakeasy nature is kinda cool for some. If they're looking for somewhere high-design-ish, then Buddakan, Hiro or Spice Market might be better for them (although you have to deal with the Meatpacking crowd).

What do you think your employees didn't like about the look of Pegu? Too sedate? Too recipe-obsessed? Not enough sexy-people quotient? Not enough of a landmark or design statement? More input would help.

[EDIT: Incidentally, if drinks at Pegu are the sort of employee side benefit you offer, any interest in hiring? :) ]

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

As our Christmas present to our staff (approx 15) we are taking them on a "Night in the City" in February. We have the restaurant and entertainment but need a place to go afterwards for a few drinks. I mentioned Pegu to a bunch of my employees and showed them the website but they were generally not impressed. By way of background, we did the touristy bar at the top of the Marquis last year. Any other ideas? Thanks. BTW, I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Where are the restaurant and entertainment?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

It sounds like Pegu is maybe just not exciting-sounding enough to your employees; understandable since it's a pretty sedate place. Maybe the Flatiron Lounge (19th Street btw 5th and 6th Avenues?). It has a high quality of cocktail-making, but with a more bustling vibe than Pegu. Another option might be Chumley's on Bedford St. in the West Village; its hideaway-speakeasy nature is kinda cool for some. If they're looking for somewhere high-design-ish, then Buddakan, Hiro or Spice Market might be better for them (although you have to deal with the Meatpacking crowd).

What do you think your employees didn't like about the look of Pegu? Too sedate? Too recipe-obsessed? Not enough sexy-people quotient? Not enough of a landmark or design statement? More input would help.

[EDIT: Incidentally, if drinks at Pegu are the sort of employee side benefit you offer, any interest in hiring? :)  ]

The general comment is the place looks to serious and not fun enough. Furthermore, I don't think they are into the "cocktail" thing. By way of further example, the general consensus for dinner is Carmines. See the trend? Entertainment for the night is Caroline's on Broadway with Charlie Murphy currently scheduled to appear (pretty funny if you ask me). Buddakan or Spice Market sound good to me.

Ah; that provides a great deal of clarification!

I'd say that Buddakan is ideal, in that case; the space is gorgeous, the vibe is convivial, and it'll be all fun. To be honest, your employees aren't far off on the vibe; Pegu is centered around cocktails the same way that a fine restaurant is centered around food, and I don't think that most people apply the same ambiance criteria to their enjoyment of those two things.

If you don't feel like trecking downtown after your mediocore meal at Carmines (really, why are you going here? You can get this food anywhere. Take them to Otto) you can try Ava Penthouse/Lounge on 55th and Broadway in the Dream Hotel. -About 15 flrs high, it provides pretty views of TSqr, a funky vibe and only 11 blocks away. You could walk off the spag meatballs and chicken parm. :raz:

That wasn't chicken

If you don't feel like trecking downtown after your mediocore meal at Carmines (really, why are you going here?  You can get this food anywhere. Take them to Otto) you can try Ava Penthouse/Lounge on 55th and Broadway in the Dream Hotel.  -About 15 flrs high, it provides pretty views of TSqr, a funky vibe and only 11 blocks away.  You could walk off the spag meatballs and chicken parm.  :raz:

I generally agree about the food at Carmines, however, it offers something that I have been unable to find anywhere else - a fun and festive atmosphere were the food is served family style. We have done this dinner several years now at Carmines and every year they want to go back. Who am I to argue - its their gift. I have to admit though that the exeperience is kind of fun. We have never been let down.

The Oriental takes reservs, and I've seen groups of 8-10 there, although 15 may be pushing it for, well, anywhere. Have also seen large groups at Stone Rose; I met a friend of mine and his entire craft services group there after a shoot shortly after it opened. I'd call and check if I were you.

Is Tao another option? Seems much more convenient than Buddakan.

Tao is definitely closer...don't know about large groups - you should call. I agree with the Stone Rose suggestion, too - nice post-pasta walk up to Columbus Center, and a gorgeous view of the park.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow night is the trip into the city. An early dinner at Carmines and then off to Carolines to see Damon Wayans. Due to the weather I would rather stay close to Carolines (i.e. not more than a 5 min walk) for after "show" drinks. The other new wrinkle is that everyone wants to be comfortable so we are wearing jeans. Any suggestions? BTW, the final group count is 9 - so a little more manageable. The closest seems to be the Ava Lounge. Any comments?

Edited by bgut1 (log)

If you don't feel like trecking downtown after your mediocore meal at Carmines (really, why are you going here?  You can get this food anywhere. Take them to Otto) you can try Ava Penthouse/Lounge on 55th and Broadway in the Dream Hotel.  -About 15 flrs high, it provides pretty views of TSqr, a funky vibe and only 11 blocks away.  You could walk off the spag meatballs and chicken parm.   :raz:

I want to thank Eatmywords for the wonderful suggestion of Ava Lounge. It was fantastic and my staff truly enjoyed themselves. We arrived a little after 10 (following Damon Wayans at Carolines - hillarious). What struck me about the place was its size. Its much smaller than I had imagined. The view and the "vibe" were spectacular. We were lucky to get our own little area below the picture window looking out at Times Square. Drinks were decent (the Key Lime Martini was a standout however) but quite pricey - a little shocked with the final tab. All in all a perfect night. BTW, the food at Carmines while not great was pretty solid (especially the porterhouse).

Edited by bgut1 (log)

If you don't feel like trecking downtown after your mediocore meal at Carmines (really, why are you going here?  You can get this food anywhere. Take them to Otto) you can try Ava Penthouse/Lounge on 55th and Broadway in the Dream Hotel.  -About 15 flrs high, it provides pretty views of TSqr, a funky vibe and only 11 blocks away.  You could walk off the spag meatballs and chicken parm.   :raz:

I want to thank Eatmywords for the wonderful suggestion of Ava Lounge. It was fantastic and my staff truly enjoyed themselves. We arrived a little after 10 (following Damon Wayans at Carolines - hillarious). What struck me about the place was its size. Its much smaller than I had imagined. The view and the "vibe" were spectacular. We were lucky to get our own little area below the picture window looking out at Times Square. Drinks were decent (the Key Lime Martini was a standout however) but quite pricey - a little shocked with the final tab. All in all a perfect night. BTW, the food at Carmines while not great was pretty solid (especially the porterhouse).

My pleasure dude!

That wasn't chicken

• 10 months later...

My pleasure dude!

Its that time of year again and I need help planning this year's dinner. My staff is looking for me to top last year and is finally willing to try another restaurant. Any recommendations dinner and/or drinks? Thanks.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

If your staff does not include females, or those who enjoy flesh - Roberts/Penthouse

Budget for the meal is $50 p.p. (give or take) exclusive of drinks. Sorry raji - the group mostly consists of females :) Otherwise a good idea.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

To be honest, Robert's is actually a really good steak and fits your budget - but if mostly females - you'd probably want lighter fare - can you provide an idea of kind of cuisines for dinner? Also, if your staff liked Ava lounge, I can make a bunch of reccs along those lines. Although it seems like you need to out-do yourself every year. Have you considered Karaoke?

To be honest, Robert's is actually a really good steak and fits your budget - but if mostly females - you'd probably want lighter fare - can you provide an idea of kind of cuisines for dinner? Also, if your staff liked Ava lounge, I can make a bunch of reccs along those lines. Although it seems like you need to out-do yourself every year. Have you considered Karaoke?

As noted above - we normally go ever year to Carmines. They like the idea of a nice crowd and family style meals. As far as drinks are concerned, they want a "happening" vibe with a "cool" room and prefereably a view. I've thought of doing either the Stone Rose or maybe Buddakan (albiet no view).

Edited by bgut1 (log)