• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dennis Foy

Bond Girl

A new restaurant from an old culinary legend, the website looks terribly hip. Has anyone been? Word has it Tom Colicchio came out of his kitchen.

313 Church Street

212-625-1007

www.dennisfoynyc.com

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

A new restaurant from an old culinary legend, the website looks terribly hip.  Has anyone been?  Word has it Tom Colicchio came out of his kitchen. 

313 Church Street

212-625-1007

www.dennisfoynyc.com

We miss Dennis in New Jersey. He had a little storefront in Pt. Pleasant were you would find him alone in the open kitchen cooking for you. I guess we knew it was only time before he want back to the city. Our loss is your gain. Please let me know how his new place is.

websight doesn't look finished. Is Dennis actually at the helm cooking?

From the Publicist, Ben Schmerler:

He and his wife just rented an apartment in Tribeca, and he is at the restaurant full-time.

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

• 3 months later...

Here is the NY Times Review.

I am not sure if I agree with Mr. Bruni statement that this is one of those "If you happen to be" places rather than "You must try" places. I went to the restaurant because one of my friends who lives in the neighborhood thought I must try the restaurant. Admittedly, as an East Villager, I rather go to the dentist than to battle the cross town traffic and the Westside tunnel traffic on a Friday afternoon. But, if my friend, who certainly knows her food, thought it was worth the hassle then painful traffic was a minor inconvenience.

Was it worth it? It certainly was.

After a quick round of cocktails at the bar, we sat down to a clean flavorful crab tian, and a crudo of a snapper (I think) that was just lovely. I confess it was hard to pay attention to my dining pals appetizers when what was in front of me was a row of rich intense seared foie gras leaning against rounds of bright mango citrus purees. The foie was so perfectly seared that the crunchy outside broke into a pudding like textures in your mouth and the rich flavors was then offset by the sweet sour brightness of the mango. The execution could not be more perfect.

Being al seafood lovers, we order the three fish dishes on the menu and shared everything. The artic char was supported by a cast of woodsy mushrooms, savory spinach and sweet endamame beans. Each element distinct on their own and yet all worked in great harmony. The sweet fluke was punctuated by the intense flavors of roasted tomatos while the wild strip bass had the most interestingly flavored cockles on its side.

Dessert was every bit was excellent as the savory dishes. The pastry chef prepared a mélange of chocolate dessert for us on one plate, and a fruity plate of financier, apple tart and mango mousse on the other. There were plenty of vanilla ice cream to pair with the apple tart and the chocolate desserts. Being a sugar fiend, I have only four ratings for any chocolate desserts: The Boring, The Average, The Great but Not Creative, and The Better Than Sex. The chocolate desserts at Dennis Foy definitely belongs in the “better than sex” category. But, the non-chocolate selection weren’t too shabby either. The financier had great flavors and was discreetly consumed by yours truly. The apple tart was perfectly executed with tender pieces of apples and a flaky buttery crust. As for the mango mousse, I had to fight my dining pals for it.

Service was professional without being overbearing (something I abhor in restaurants) and the décor was so easy going that I feel like I was being entertained at someone’s home instead of a restaurant.

So if you like good food delivered with great technique and excellent but unpretentious service, you must try Dennis Foy. If you live in Tribeca, consider yourself very lucky. If you live anywhere else, trust me, it's worth the trip.