• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manhattan Night Clubs?

GordonCooks

Milk & Honey is out for a group of that size. All the more because it's a weekend, and they do many things that would tend to make it less fun for the "twentysomething girls out for a fun/rowdy night on the town" demographic (they're very particular about restrained decorum and that sort of thing). But Flatiron is definitely a place that does a good mix of "cool scene for younger people" and great cocktails on the weekends.

--

Hmm; I did miss the "boatload" comment.

Separate issue: I don't find Milk and Honey nearly as selective any more as your comment suggests (one of the reasons I don't go there often, and never on weekends).

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I don't think that M&H does much "pre-screening." So they're not "selective" in that sense. That's supposed to be taken care of by their unlisted number/reservations system where they ask that you not pass along the number to anyone you wouldn't be comfortable having alone in your apartment for a weekend. Of course, the number eventually reaches wider distribution and a few jerks publish the number either in print or online, etc. This leads to some dilution of their target demographic. After a while, enough is enough and the number has to change (as it recently did). I will say, however, that I have been there when people have been asked to leave. I should hasten to point out that this is what makes it such a great place for more mature parties of two or three.

--

There are plenty of places in the meatpacking or chelsea that aren't B&T, PM is a great spot that plays Hip Hop instead of all the House music clubs surrounding it. While Crobar and Bed and GuestHouse may be B&T Pink Elephant is mainly manhattanites but for sure you will need to get bottle service to get in there. I agree with 205 as a great place much more of an artsy crowd as opposed to the eurotrash scene you'll find at PM or Pink. Buddha Bar is also a fun spot. For a more laidback NO doorman place Passerby is a great bar where you can dance or chill it's very small but packed and anyone gets in, there is no sign but it's 15th St., between Ninth and Tenth Ave. I also second the APT as a great place, the only problem is if you go early it's easy to et into but it's dead if you go late say 1 or 2 it's tougher to get into but it's hopping downstairs.

If you are looking for a more lounge place Where you can eat and get great margaritas La Esquina is a great place owned by the same guys as 205, no dancing here but a cool crowd downstairs also not easy to get into if you don't know anyone, my advice would be to try and get a dinner reservation downstairs and then just migrate to the lounge.

I don't think that M&H does much "pre-screening."  So they're not "selective" in that sense.  That's supposed to be taken care of by their unlisted number/reservations system where they ask that you not pass along the number to anyone you wouldn't be comfortable having alone in your apartment for a weekend.  Of course, the number eventually reaches wider distribution and a few jerks publish the number either in print or online, etc.  This leads to some dilution of their target demographic.  After a while, enough is enough and the number has to change (as it recently did).  I will say, however, that I have been there when people have been asked to leave.  I should hasten to point out that this is what makes it such a great place for more mature parties of two or three.

Hmm. Not to sideline this into an M&H discussion, but I wonder if the unlisted number thing really works so well any more. I've been both right before and shortly after the number change and it was hardly a soigne crowd either time. I actually find Little Branch more pleasant these days.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

M&H is extremely conducive to what I define as a good date.

It is not really a normal hangout spot (not with the Pegu Club an option)

sidenote to the post above -- see my suggestion of Cielo -- sure there are certain clubs that are more Eurotrash (and their groupies) than B&T (i.e. they're the entire Frederick's, Da Silvano, Barolo and French Tuesday crowd)...but even that's more true during the week...but exception duly noted.

Edited by Nathan (log)

M&H is extremely conducive to what I define as a good date.

It is not really a normal hangout spot (not with the Pegu Club an option)

sidenote to the post above -- see my suggestion of Cielo -- sure there are certain clubs that are more Eurotrash (and their groupies) than B&T (i.e. they're the entire Frederick's, Da Silvano, Barolo and French Tuesday crowd)...but even that's more true during the week...but exception duly noted.

Da Silvano's is out - I'm sans a red ferrari with personalized plates.

But quite frankly, NY has the worst dance scene of any major city in the world (to the best of my knowledge)

That's crap!

I can't believe I see so many people saying that NYC has such a bad nightlife/danceclub scene when there are soooo many options on any given night, so much so that people from all over the country and the world come to NYC for it.

It really depends what you are looking for; are you there for the music, the sound system, a particular DJ, a particular crowd, an "underground" feel, a Miami chic feel, etc. etc. - it's all happening -

I've been in your situation before, and if you are with a group of girls you're not going to have trouble getting into most clubs, and what you want is in the West Chelsea area i.e. Stereo, Crobar, Home, etc. feel free to PM me I'll sort you out

No clue on this end - I'll be in the Man-Hatty next month celebrating my girl's birthday with a boatload of her friends. I’m pretty sure a hot spot will be on the agenda as all are currently kibitzing over shoes and outfits for that Saturday night. Help…Please…??

Near Times Square would be helpful but not a must.

PACHA.

end of discussion

actually, Rome has a worse nightclub scene.

don't get me wrong, I love NY nightlife, but the only time to dance is during the week, and that's not happening with my schedule. and Brooklyn's too much of a pain for a late night.

as for the clubs, nah. go to Plumm and then compare it with Snatch in Miami. the Cain in the city is even worse than the one in the Hamptons. as someone who frequented the original Crobar in Chicago ten years ago (it was 4 times the size of the NY one) and the Crobar in Miami in its heyday (5-6 years ago)....the NY one is nowhere near comparable.

NY does get decent DJ's but then you have to handle the weekend scene. the clubs here are all small in comparison and much less expense is put into them than elsewhere.

we're not in the same league as L.A., Miami, S.F., Berlin, Munich or Paris. don't know about London.

remember that Pacha, Crobar and B.E.D. are all chain clubs that have larger, more elaborate and older locations elsewhere. its exactly the opposite of restaurants

Edited by Nathan (log)

But quite frankly, NY has the worst dance scene of any major city in the world (to the best of my knowledge)

That's crap!

I can't believe I see so many people saying that NYC has such a bad nightlife/danceclub scene when there are soooo many options on any given night, so much so that people from all over the country and the world come to NYC for it.

It really depends what you are looking for; are you there for the music, the sound system, a particular DJ, a particular crowd, an "underground" feel, a Miami chic feel, etc. etc. - it's all happening -

I've been in your situation before, and if you are with a group of girls you're not going to have trouble getting into most clubs, and what you want is in the West Chelsea area i.e. Stereo, Crobar, Home, etc. feel free to PM me I'll sort you out

Right on Raji

I think what Nathan, others and even myself fail to accept is that we're not in our early/mid twenties anymore. Dance clubs are geared to this demographic not ours. As we get older our idea of good places to dance, which invariably comes down to the music and clientelle, diminishes rapidly.

That said, I still love to go dancing and try to accept the environment as "today's scene". As for big clubs, I've been to Pacha and Crobar recently and enjoyed them both very much. Both of them draw some of the best dj's in the world.

I think the best way to go dancing in NY is to decide on the music and go from there.

That wasn't chicken

[i think what Nathan, others and even myself fail to accept is that we're not in our early/mid twenties anymore. 

I was in my mid-twenties in the mid-twenties. Where does that leave me?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

[i think what Nathan, others and even myself fail to accept is that we're not in our early/mid twenties anymore. 

-Seeking a club where you can do the Charleston?

That wasn't chicken

-Seeking a club where you can do the Charleston?

I don't even have knees anymore, let alone hands to put on them.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

certainly, I'm not in my mid-20's anymore...but they're all dancing in Brooklyn -- as I noted above.

the big bottle service clubs in Manhattan do draw a somewhat older crowd--people who can afford it. and these clubs are much smaller and much less elaborate than their Miami or Paris or Berlin equivalents. and that's a simple fact. like I said, the club chains open here eventually, but open smaller and less costly venues due to the rent costs.

if your dance experience is primarily NY or the tourist clubs elsewhere...you're not going to realize this. the size of NY clubs is the killer....our biggest ones are still pretty damn small...and that affects the entire experience

• 2 weeks later...
"I think the best way to go dancing in NY is to decide on the music and go from there."

unfortunately, the DJ's I want to hear seem to always play at Avalon...and that's just really tough to stomach...

It this the Avalon a stone's throw from the W-Union Square?

So far

Stereo,

Crobar

Home

Pacha

Finally, a club I can chime in on. I've been there for Bright Eyes/The Faint shows and have seen the club goers waiting to get in after the show lets out. As Nathan suggests, the scene does seem pretty trashy compared to other locations.