• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online cookware shops?

Can anyone help, I'm to pickup an oven thermometer and a probe-in, meter out thermometer, but no where near me has either.

Can anyone recommend me a cookwear shop online?

I have the following sites bookmarked:

www.divertimenti.co.uk

www.cucinadirect.co.uk

www.lakelandlimited.co.uk

www.richmondcookshop.co.uk

www.silvernutmeg.com

www.decuisine.co.uk

www.armorica.co.uk

www.cookshops.com

I'm sure there are others. John Lewis might also have what you are looking for.

Edited to say sorry these aren't links and I'm not sure why they aren't.

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

I ordered the cheapest probe-in, meter-out thermometer from Nisbets. Website is good (though it's down for maintenance over the Christmas period) and delivery was within a day. Only slight annoyance was that the packaging says the probe is not suitable for the oven -the website didn't mention this.

Can recommend www.richmondcookshop.co.uk - service is really good and if you ever need to speak to them, they're very friendly and will do whatever they can to help.

I ordered the cheapest probe-in, meter-out thermometer from Nisbets. Website is good (though it's down for maintenance over the Christmas period) and delivery was within a day. Only slight annoyance was that the packaging says the probe is not suitable for the oven -the website didn't mention this.

Can recommend www.richmondcookshop.co.uk - service is really good and if you ever need to speak to them, they're very friendly and will do whatever they can to help.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Yeah Nisbets is down at the moment, and I'm looking for an in-oven probe thermometer, that I can read with the oven door closed, so I take it I should avoid the cheapest one on Nisbets when it's back up?

Yeah Nisbets is down at the moment, and I'm looking for an in-oven probe thermometer, that I can read with the oven door closed, so I take it I should avoid the cheapest one on Nisbets when it's back up?

What we have is a Digital Meat Thermometer from Lakeland - see here for the details - from what you have said this is exactly what you want.

This is currently £12.99 and works fairly well in our experience (postage extra if the order is under £45 or find a local branch if you can).

What we have is a Digital Meat Thermometer from Lakeland - see here for the details - from what you have said this is exactly what you want.

This is currently £12.99 and works fairly well in our experience (postage extra if the order is under £45 or find a local branch if you can).

Just to add to that: we have two digital thermometers: one really cheap one from Nisbets with a fixed probe, and the slightly more expensive one form Lakeland with a separate oven proof probe. I've never really figured out whether it is safe to leave the battery in the Lakeland one (the display is on permanently when the battery is in), so I always remove the battery when I've finished with it. This means the Nisbets one is always a bit handier to get at if I just want to check something I'm grilling, but the Lakeland one is great for slow roasting.

One other difference is that while both thermometers have an accuracy of 1C, the Nisbets one displays to 0.1C. Although the extra digit is largely spurious, it can be useful if you are cooking at a low temperature and it seems to be taking an age for the internal temperature of the joint to increase: you can get a much better idea of the rate at which the temperature is increasing if it is going up by 0.1C every 6 minutes rather than 1C every hour. (So if you see one with an oven safe probe and a 0.1C display, let me know.)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking for an in-oven probe thermometer, that I can read with the oven door closed, so I take it I should avoid the cheapest one on Nisbets when it's back up?

No, you want one of these: 'Digitron FM15 oven thermometer', from here:

http://www.foodsafetydirect.co.uk/acatalog...ermometers.html

(Scroll down to the one at the very bottom of the page)

It's just over 20 quid, the probe sits in the joint of meat or whatever in the over, the display sits outside, with a silicone-coated wire connecting the two (you just shut the door, gently, on the wire, it doesn't break the seal on the oven door).

That way, you can see the temperature without peering into the oven.

You can also set an alarm to go off when it reaches a given temperature, so you don't even have to keep an eye on it. Oh, and it displays the temperature in increments of 0.1 degrees, celcius or farenheit - you choose which.

I got through two, different, cheapies from Nisbets before finding this. This actually does the job.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

• 4 years later...

Now days online shopping is in great trend..

Indeed, yes. Much more so than when this thread started. Best place I know for online cookware (and difficult to obtain ingredients) these days is a search of the Amazon site. Always the first place I look.

John Hartley