• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mustard dry vs. wet

Soup

Is there a difference between dry vs wet mustard other than one is wet the other dry?

I'm making a pot of bake beans in the slow cooker overnight. I want to do an irish breakfast for Xmas breakfast. My recipe calls for dry mustard and I'm out. All I have is grey poupon. I'm trying to figure out if it is going to be a huge diffence.

Soup

I'm assuming the dry mustard you're accustomed to using is Colman's. You can mix Colman's dry mustard with water to create prepared (wet) mustard, so in theory there's no problem substituting prepared mustard for dry. Grey Poupon, however, has quite a different taste -- Colman's is a very spicy mustard. So, you might notice a slightly different flavor, but I'm sure the recipe will work just fine.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd have to say that the difference is dependant on what the dry mustard is mixed with. I dispise yellow mustard, which is made with vinegar (the cheap stuff), but yet I depend on the dry Coleman's to bring out the cheese flavors in my mac and cheese. I believe grey poupon mustard is made with white wine, but I'm not certain. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

A Coleman's paste made with water will be similar to Chinese mustard, raw, and spicy-hot. A tin of Keene's says to let the paste sit for at least ten minutes to develop flavour.

I just checked the label on Maille Dijon: water, mustard, vinegar, salt, citric acid, and sulphite. I believe it is aged before packing but don't know how long. While the mellow mustard flavor holds well after opening, the spicy-hot nature subsides in a few days; I suspect oxidation is at work here.

A domestic (yellow) mustard is similar but has turmeric and paprika added. Considering the low price,I doubt if it is aged before packing.

Dijon-style mustard can be made with vinegar, white wine and/or verjuice (the last being the most traditional). The Grey Poupon brand, very popular in the US (it's a Kraft product), is made with both vinegar and white wine. By comparison, French's yellow mustard is made with vinegar and water.

As everybody is saying, Grey Poupon (or any Dijon-style mustard) and Colman's (or any dry mustard) are going to have different flavors. They are, however, both mustard. I don't think it will ruin a big pot of beans if you switch back and forth. It might taste a little different to you if you're accustomed to tasting the same recipe again and again; nobody else will likely notice.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for the info. I ended up using the gray poupon but I added a bit more than what the recipe called for. The baked beans turned out great. My first time doing baked beans and they are really good. I'm still a big fan of bush's baked beans but I think I will be making these a lot (I can control salt content that way).