• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flannel drip

helenjp

I have used them, and they make a great brew, but are hard to clean. The oils, and very fine grounds easily stain the cloth and are difficult to remove. I wouldn't use strong detergent, but a mild non scented soap would help, plus soaking in a baking soda solution. A lot of bother for my morning routine, and I usually tossed them after a month or so. I prefer the metal #4 baskets, which pass all of the flavour with a bit of sediment.

If you want to try one again, they can be found small stores run by ethnic South or Central Americans, or Italo-Iberian stores. I have no idea if it is used in Asia, but maybe in the cofee producing countries.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

The flannel filter must be put in a container with water in it and stored in the fridge. (You mean the cloth called "neru" in Japanese, right?)

Are you sure you can't get a new one? Have you considered purchasing one from an Internet source like this?