• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding a great sandwich in london

I'm looking for a truly exception sandwich in London.....!  I cannot stomach the run-of-the-mill sandwich shops selling tinned tuna with corn, egg salad, prawn salad, etc. etc......

Thanks in Advance!

This won't help you until late Jan but there is a brand new place opening in Great Tower St called GRAZING that will have bacon and/or sausage sarnies from 7am to be followed by roast meat sandwiches for lunch. All made to order from ingredients sourced and cooked with more TLC than any foodie in their right mind could ever want. (And yes, I do know the owner extremely well so feel free to contact me for updates nearer the time.)

These days I construct my own, with cheese or salami or similar from somewhere like Villandry or Selfridges, and bread from there or Paul. I've got fed up of the porr quality sandwiches on offer, and the prices charged for them. Unfortunately someone clearing out the fridge threw out some wonderful Brie de Meaux recently, as they thought it was off...

• 2 weeks later...
Onion at the corner of Southampton Row and Sicilian Avenue, the pedestrian zone just north of Holburn Circus, has been serving the same great sandwishes for at least thirty years.

Ah good call, just started work round the corner discovered it today, that's a proper sandwich

Onion at the corner of Southampton Row and Sicilian Avenue, the pedestrian zone just north of Holburn Circus, has been serving the same great sandwishes for at least thirty years.

Ah good call, just started work round the corner discovered it today, that's a proper sandwich

Thank heavens they're still up to standard--haven't eaten there in several years, but it still looked the same outside.

EDIT: If you're working in that area, try lunch at the October Gallery, Old Gloucester Street just off Queen Square. (My sound studio was in their basement for twenty years, and they never served me a bad meal.) If you like fish and chips, there's the Fryer's Delight, 19 Theobald's Road. They still cook in lard--if you like the distinctive flavor that that gives, it's now hard to find.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

• 4 weeks later...

I work in the Holborn area and went to Onion for the first time today. Very nice panini.

But if you're based in this area, the number one sandwich place has to be Caradell on Red Lion Street, about half way down. Fantastic range of ingredients and combinations, and a great atmosphere. Choose from focaccia, ciabatta, baguette, bagel, onion bread, olive roll etc And the salads are good too.

Best sandwich bar I've seen in London. They sell deli type stuff there too, pasta, vinegar, olive oil etc