• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whole lotta shrimp

ATram

Yesterday a friend arrived home with a whole 10 kilos of jumbo shrimps and since then i have been wondering the ways im going to serve them.

I want to serve them as appetizers, dont want to dish them. So im thinking im making something like brochettes and dips.

I already have a couple of ideas but any suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Yesterday a friend arrived home with a whole 10 kilos of jumbo shrimps and since then i have been wondering the ways im going to serve them.

I want to serve them as appetizers, dont want to dish them. So im thinking im making something like brochettes and dips.

I already have a couple of ideas but any suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd make about 2 kilos (5 lbs) of shrimp cocktail. I can eat 2 lbs easy in one setting. (for 1 kilo recipe) Make a broth of 1 1/2 TBSP sea salt, 4 quarts water, 3 bay laurel leaves, 2 smashed fresh garlics, slice large yellow onion, 3 TBSP of whole black peppercorns, 3 chopped stalks of celery, and one sliced lemon. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes. The size of my shrimp are usually 24-28 per pound, so I let them simmer/boil for about 6 minutes. Then drain and smother with ice cubes till they're cold all the way through. (You probably don't have it there, but Hoffman House shrimp cocktail sauce is my favorite, and I've never been able to make it myself as good).

Some more shrimp would become Shrimp Scampi. (Any traditional recipe works pretty much the same in my experience.)

Then, I would take a large round baking dish, add some marinara sauce, shrimp, squeeze some fresh lemon juice, and then cover with Greek feta cheese. Under the broiler until the shrimp is cooked and the cheese has slightly browned. I don't know what you call this dish, but I made it up once, and at least one friend of mine loved the dish so much they made it at least once a week.

doc

Slathered with garlic and then steamed with beer. Layout newspapers and pour the cooked shrimps on them and dig in.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Here's a terrific recipe for Cilantro Lime Shrimp. It's similar to one published in the new Gourmet cookbook. The only real differences are that the Gourmet recipe calls for making a paste of the salt and garlic rather than just mincing the garlic and calls for 1/4, not 1/2, cup chopped cilantro. I've served this as an hors d'oeuvre, an appetizer, and a main course and it's always been a huge hit.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/appetizer/cila...imp-recipe.html

Edited by JBN (log)

Shell, devein, and marinate shrimp in a mixture of white wine, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped garlic, and chopped basil. Wrap each shrimp with a basil leaf and a slice of prociutto. Grill. YUM!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

You can chop some up and make shrimp cakes. In the same way you make crab cakes. I recently had some small end pieces of cod fish and didn't know what to do with it. I diced it up along with a bunch of shrimp and made these seafood cakes. They really came out great with a light coating of panko.

One favorite and very simple way to cook shrimp is to roast in the oven. Just peel them (or not, depending on what you want to do), toss with olive oil, salt, and spices, and roast about 2-3 minutes per side in a 350F oven.

I like to throw in some chopped garlic and either pimenton or cumin, but you could really flavor it any way you dream up.

These make great shrimp cocktail or appetizer shrimp, but you could use them for anything that does not call for more cooking.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

a girlfriend made these for me last week:

shell and devein shrimp

marinate in limoncello, olive oil(equal parts), basil chiffonade, salt and pepper and red pepper

wrap in slices of prosciutto

skewer and grill

really wonderful with the salty meat and the limoncello

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites