• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SuzySushi - A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

SuzySushi

Thanks for the beautiful photos!  I've missed much of this week so I'll go back now and read the whole blog.  Just wanted to say thanks before your blog was over.  I've never seen taro mochi before I wonder, if I can't find it locally, if it's very difficult to make?

Honestly, I've never tasted taro mochi and don't know anything about how it's made! I'll have to go back and try some next time I'm at the farmers' market. :biggrin:

skchai wrote about various local style mochi (including a picture of taro mochi) in this thread. HERE

You did one great blog and especially over the most stressful holiday season ever invented (festiv and kaunza not included). I am impressed with your ambition. I've been involved with EMS stuff for a long time and we've always noticed that during the Holiday's we've gotten more calls from people with diabetes issues and I've always thought that it's because the holidays and big events tend to throw people off of their daily routines. I live in a summer resort town and the greatest majority of the population are vacationers. Have a happy and healthy New Year.

Oh, yes, and I meant to mention that your mother of pearl inlaid table is stunning.

Isn't it, though! We got it for $10 at a second-hand store run by Koreans. :laugh::laugh::laugh: It had a broken leg, and no one Asian would touch it because it was "damaged goods." They were almost ashamed to sell it to us. (No -- we didn't bargain, but our jaws almost dropped when they named their price.) We couldn't match the exact leg, but bought four unfinished legs at the hardware store, which I lacquered and attached. :raz:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks for the beautiful photos!  I've missed much of this week so I'll go back now and read the whole blog.  Just wanted to say thanks before your blog was over.  I've never seen taro mochi before I wonder, if I can't find it locally, if it's very difficult to make?

Honestly, I've never tasted taro mochi and don't know anything about how it's made! I'll have to go back and try some next time I'm at the farmers' market. :biggrin:

skchai wrote about various local style mochi (including a picture of taro mochi) in this thread. HERE

Woo! I'm going to have to try taro mochi fo' sure now! BTW, saw gau for sale at Longs today. [Gau being round Chinese mochi-and-brown-sugar cakes traditionally eaten for Chinese New Year's.]

SuzySushi

Mochihead: I've confirmed that the 99 Ranch market is going to close some time before the end of February -- there was an article I'd missed in Saturday's Honolulu Advertiser. It was a franchised location and, my guess is, not profitable enough.

That's really a shame.

Is it true that they're also closing the 99 Ranch Market?

SuzySushi

Woo! I'm going to have to try taro mochi fo' sure now! BTW, saw gau for sale at Longs today. [Gau being round Chinese mochi-and-brown-sugar cakes traditionally eaten for Chinese New Year's.]

Oooooh I luuuuuuuv gau too! :wub: Do you like to eat yours fresh or wait til it's hard then fry it in a little butter to make it crispy and soft? I like it both ways.

:biggrin: Suzy: thanks so very much for such a nice trip back to Hawaii! For me, it's been almost 20 years (Oahu and Kauai), but now I'd like to go back. We go to Mexico (Caribbean side) twice a year, but now I have great photos to show hubby and convince him to go to Hawaii next time. LOVE your family and friends too. You are truly blessed.

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien